Protecting the rear wheelwells with front wheelwells

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Stormin' Norman, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I kept the ones from the Donor, a 1978 two-door Fairmont - the PVC inner liners.

I got my originals all cleaned up and ready to reinstall, and got to looking at the others. I had all kinds of ideas for them, from lining the cargo-tire well to making custom mud-flaps for the car and the trailer.

But then I said to myself, SELF, what about using them in the rear wheel wells and rotating them back enough to for their own mud flaps?

My thinking is they'd protect the dogleg better and the bottom rear-quarter too! They've got the same curve as the front wells (sheetmetal fender wells) and by putting them reverse (Left Front to Right Rear, they pratically fit without much trimming. I just tested one tonite and it looks like I'd have a 5 inch 'mudflap' but the entire width of the wheel well, meaning the muffler would stay drier during our slushy roadsalt season.

I already undercoated the car and the wheelwells, so I'll just fit them and add another bead on the steel ridge before I screw them in properly.

2. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    hmm...sounds like a 'muck trap' to me....:)

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I'm debating that too! But I've seen a lot of highway rigs with mudflaps in front of the tire and behind, and I've seen many Fairmont doglegs looking like mosquito nets.

The insides of my front fenders weren't even dusty! Go figure.

I've got new All-season radials, but I'm thinking of buying some Winter Radials to give my wife a bit of an edge. She's never driven in snow. Those puppies throw a lot of crap up in the well when your trying to get out of a drift or an icey ridge, almost like sandblasting.

Anyway, I'm pondering the idea. Maybe cut some drain openings.

4. 80cutlass

80cutlass New Member Charter Member

now bubba dont forget if ya wanna run mudflaps make sure ya get the ones with the chrome ladies on it (y)

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I wonder how the wife would handle that on the back and all the 'honks' when she drives it. I'd guess I'd be known as a mother-trucker in my house and the doghouse!:D

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Actually I had another look, in the light of day, and decided that the Rev is right - it's a muck collector. I'll just add more undercoating in those wheel wells. And just small mudflaps... :D

7. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank God we don't have much of a winter around here, I don't have drive in the snow anymore, I just stay home!

Here's a product I use on all my cars, inside wheelwells, inside doors, underneath, everywhere!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx

It's the best stuff I've ever used for preventing rust or keeping rust that is already there from speading.

You guys up north might want to look into this service too.

http://www.carwell.com/index.html

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Good tips, Clark. Thanks. I used Dominion Sure Seal's rubberized asphalt in both spray (tailgate and door inners, and underbody) and then used the brush-on version of the same to do the areas that get sandblasted by the wheels. I figured I need to do an annual cleaning and refresh in between the rinse-offs on roadsalty days (early fall and melting spring). The rest of the time, its so cold that even the salt won't work - (-30C to -40C).:90: