Painted woodgrain...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by the rambler, Dec 23, 2010.

1. the rambler

the rambler New Member

Hello all,Life has gotten in the way of the wagon lately but autorama is coming so...She's going Gloss black or satin regency maroon(with a pearl).The big question is how do you think it would look with the woodgrain painted?If I can figure out how I'll post pics of the car as it is. Dave

2. rancheronut

rancheronut New Member

the best woodgrain i ever seen on a car, was painted on. it was a black 1970 ranchero. it looked just great 20 yrs later when I came across the car again.

3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's how the woodgrain was done on the 1950s "tin woodie" wagons. Looks great if painted correctly.

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    First 3 Stickys show you how to post pics:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

And for woody painting, lots of links to youtube How To videos and other resources. Dash graining is just as mysterious, but the techniques are the same:
    http://forums.aaca.org/f154/faux-woodgrain-paint-dash-trim-what-269258.html

5. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

The painted woodgrain looks way better than the dynoc anyway, and if you have it done when the car is in the paint booth anyway, have it done before the clear goes on. Clear coat the entire car, and the wood graining will last and stay fresh. Just use Mother's California Gold natural wax to keep the clear looking good. I've been using that on the Volvo for 21 years and the factory (and repainted, recleared) paint looks almost like new. Actually better, since I've now buffed out most of the factory orange peel!

6. drybonez

drybonez Member

painted wood grain

painting wood grain is easy and I can tell you how.

7. kb2tha

kb2tha New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Do tell. I have looked at the Grain-It packages. Any thoughts?

8. 66GasSavr

66GasSavr New Member

Wagon Garage:
  9. johneolson

johneolson New Member

I had contacted decoralamerica.com for exterior wood grain/outdoor wood grain and they had done a marvelous job. You can also contact them.

powder coat

10. Smokinbill

Smokinbill Active Member

My friend has a Tin Woodie with painted wood grain, Little more than is supposed to be on there, But it looks great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    hey, hey, hey

Have been thinking about painted on woodeie, since seeing a home inprovement show on HGTV about a long time ago... There's this stuff for metal house doors. You paint your front door a good "woodie" shade of brown, then paint this stuff on it, that's a clear coat with ripples of dark brown paint in it. You smear this stuff, with a provided spongy thing, in long straight swipes. The ripples become the grain in the wood. Worked pretty good on the front door of the house on the TV show. Was thinking about "testing it out" on a car of little or no importance, like a 1980 four door Rabbit. See how that works out.(y)

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Hey hey hey this ain't TV

This is the real world. What you see on TV may not be real. At least that's what I was told. Disappointing huh?

I've written this before. Years ago I woodgrained the dash and garnish molding on my 1939 Ford and 1933 Chevy. Picked up "how-to' fliers at home improvement stores and got a kit with the main colors and sponge thingies. I also used various brushes and other things to get the wood grain I wanted. It is actually fairly easy on small things. I've done furniture and a few house doors. This was before "This ole House" and other improvement shows told how to pound nails in wood.
    We used to see a 1949 Pontiac woodie wagon that was owned by a sign painter and pin stripper. He even painted the wide wood trim around his panels. He added wood dowels, etc and it looked real.
    Just takes a lot of time, rags, and paint thinner. What ever goes on can come off if not satisfied.
    Smokinbill that wagon looks just like the one in Ocala, Fl.