"oldbie" introducing myself - w/72 Chevy wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 72KingswoodEstate, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi all. I have been a member here for awhile (guess I am an "oldbie" and not a newbie? LOL) and posted, but after reading the threads about the "introductions", I thought I would introduce myself incase I did not do it before here. I think I did, but maybe on another forum?

Anyway, I have loved old stationwagons for years... old cars in general really, especially wagons. I especially like the 1971-76 GM sull-size wagons (particularly the 71-73 models), as well as the 1971-78 Ford Country Squires (particularly the 73-74 models). I also really like most any late 1950s-early 60s wagon.

My personal wagon under restoration is a 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate 9-passenger wagon... color golden brown w/woodgrain w/black interior- which is in excellent condition. Not a super high optioned car, but is a fairly nice optioned model, with the following options - 402 turbo-jet engine w/400 turbo, tilt steering wheel, 3rd seat, AM radio, 4-season air-conditioning, luggage rack, deluxe wheelcovers, rear seat speakers- and thats about it I guess. It runs and drives, but under engine/body restoration.

My dad spotted this car for me (setting in a garage with the doors open) about 7 years ago and up until last summer, I had tried to buy it monthly.. leaving letters, phone calls, etc. It finally paid off in late summer 2007, when the old lady called me and said she would sell. I had to pay alot more than I had anticipated and more that it was worth I think, but I really wanted this car! The lady I bought it from was near 80 years old.. she bought the car from the original owner in 1984. The car had set for many years in her garage and needed brake work... which I have fixed. She only drove the car from Bristol TN to Charlotte NC to the craft shows. Now, the engine is low on power and misses. I suspect either a stuck valve or new camshaft in order. Body is very solid, but has some rust in the spare tire carrier area and some on the lower driver quarter panel- there is also some rust around the rear cargo area windows- which is typical for these cars. Floors/frame are solid- thats a plus.
    photos below...

My other wagon I have owned since the year 2000. Its a 100% rust free 1989 Pontiac Safari 9-passenger wagon. Dark blue w/woodgrain w/blue interior. Its a high optioned car.. power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, AM-FM, 3rd seat, cornering lights, luggage rack, wire wheel covers, power seat, etc. It was like new when I bought it, but it was always low on power, so I rarely drove it. Now, it has set for about 3 years and in need. Its still 100% rust free- always a southern car- never seen salt! Headliner sagging and needs tires. I actually have it for sale and would love to see it go to a wagon fan. Asking $1500 obo/trade for a Country Squire or 71-73 Cadillac.
    photos of it below as well!

My daily driver is a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville 4dr and my "days off" car is a 1991 Lexus LS400 - soon adding a 4wd Toyota truck to my array of cars.

My 72' Caprice wagon- (Kingswood Estate)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my 89' Pontiac Safari...
    in the year 2000
    [​IMG]
    as it is now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly - my Grand Ville and Lexus LS....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Great Intro! ...and Welcome :)

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :rofl2: ya know your getting 'oldbie' when you cant remember if ya did something or not!!

but just so ya know...you did!!:rofl2:

but this ones better!!!:yup:

5. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Sounds like a case of Can't Remember Stuff:rofl2:

Nice Wagons...

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Although I'm a GM 'virgin', that's a fine looking wagon. Welcome AGAIN!!! It's almost like a Classy Reunion!:) :drink:

7. wagon train

wagon train New Member

+1 welcome.

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

9. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. I was thinking I had gave an intro before, but it was lackluster, with minimal detail.

Hoping to get to work on the engine of the Kingswood Estate soon to get it road-worthy. Unfortunately, I may end up either donating the 89' Safari to a local charity or haul it to the salvage lot. There is absolutely no interest in it... I cannot even trade it for another older wagon in "worse" shape- ideally, a 73-78 Country Squire, or even a 71-73 Cadillac, which is really what I want. I have it listed on local classified sites, stationwagon sites and even demo derby sites, but they are looking for something cheap to crash. I had a hard time finding this car years ago- not too many of the Pontiacs around, especially the 89's and one this rust free. 15-20 years from now, this will be a rare car that I know I will regret selling. I do have a guy wanting to trade me a running 80s truck for it, which I may do. I have not the time or know-how to get that wagon back on the road. I hate to see it go, but something needs to be done.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  10. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    WOW! I had forgot I had posted this in 2008!! I sure makes me miss my '89 Safari. You know I could not even sell that car for $700, but ended up trading it for a '89 BMW 325i, then sold it for $2000 and bought a 1984 Mercedes 190D that I sold for $3300, so I did pretty good. lol.

11. Dogfather

Dogfather Retired Medic

Wagon Garage:
    Dude you have over 2000 Posts?

Getting a little lonely? Need some attention?

LOL That's cool but for some of us that don't have 2000 posts we get a chance to meet you again....

Thanks I love the pics...

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome again. This intro is great with lots of nice pictures. Can hardly wait for your next introduction. :Welcome:
    There is also a thread by Fannie for more detailed re-introductions .:dance:

13. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: 72 nice to read your intro. :)

14. Bigidea

Bigidea New Member

Welcome. Love the Kingswood!