No such thing as "too many wagons"

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by theone41, Dec 22, 2012.

1. theone41

theone41 Member

How y'all doin? Well, I really don't know where to begin, except that I love station wagons and have for a long time. I got my first one in late 1965 when I was 15, and it's all been downhill since. That first one was a 57 Nomad, which blew up on I-65 on the way home from Alabama. I bought a 390 horse 427 out of a wrecked 66 Caprice wagon and that was my driver all the way through high school. Ended up with two 55's, a 56, and the 57 by the time I was a senior. Fast forward to the present and right now we have a 53 Chrysler T&C, two 54 Buick Centurys, a 55
    Buick Special, 61 Buick LeSabre, our newest 63 Buick Special (basket case), and our 70 LeSabre. We are the second owners of the 70 and it has the original interior that looks as good as the day it rolled off the assembly line. We just got the little 63, and someone has installed a 350 Chevy and 350 turbo so I've got some work to do. First choice will be to find a 215 and the little 2 speed auto to put it back original. Or maybe one of my spare nailheads or 455's layin' up in the barn. I know y'all want to see pictures, but I'm visiting with my Mom in Florida for a bit and I'll have to wait till we get back home to get that done. Home is Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. Do Suburbans and Excursions count as wagons here? Well, gotta go. See y'all later.

2. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, you are closing in on REV for number of wagons in stock.

Great intro - welcome to the forums.

When you find the time, we love pictures.

3. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome theone41!

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Great collection of wagons. When it comes to the Buick, what about thinking of the drive train out of a pre-BMW Land Rover or Range Rover? That engine is the old Buick 215 block, reworked and re-engineed, and updated. The basic block, though, is the same, and they come up to about 4.2 litres instead of the original 3.5. They can also be pushing out over 300 horse. Pretty reliable, too, if you ignore the fuel injection.

5. theone41

theone41 Member

I'm pretty open to about any suggestion right now. I do want to keep a Buick power plant because when we're able to arrange it, we like to attend the Buick Nationals, and you have to have Buick power to enter your car. I'm hopeful to hook up with someone with one of these little wagons to get some pictures of how they are supposed to be and start there. There seem to be quite a few 61 and 62 Special wagons out there for me to rob a drive train from. I would also like to obtain a better rear hatch. I've wanted one of these litttle cars for quite a while, but either I can't find one when I have the money, or don't have two nickels to rub together when one is available. I've been visiting here periodically, so I know if there is any info, parts, or cars available y'all will help me to save this car. My cousin wants to put my Stage I motor in it and make it our race car, but I think the production numbers are too low for that idea.

6. theone41

theone41 Member

no such thing as "too may wagons"

Almost forgot. I left out my 95 Saturn wagon with 260,000 miles. Starting to use a bit of oil, but still gets over thirty miles to the gallon. My only problem is that I can barely get in and out of it.....

7. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, impressive collection of wagons you have! I believe you will fit in fine here, Welcome! :Welcome:

8. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard.
    Sounds like a great wagon family!

9. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

If you put the Buick externals on the Land Rover engine, it would LOOK like a Buick engine. As far as I know, the Buick intake and carb, valve covers, etc will fit right on.
    You would have to look closely to tell it is not a Buick block.

10. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome fellow Buick fan. I applaud your decision to oust the SBC from the '63. :tiphat: (Says the guy with the factory-issue SBC in his Olds. :slap:)

11. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow that is a lot of wagons! Welcome to the forum Theone41! :Welcome:

12. theone41

theone41 Member

Thanks to all who've welcomed me aboard, and I've been meaning to get this done for a while. We've got some other cars that aren't wagons, but I've been thinking about the possibilities of trading most of them for wagons, too. My wife, who by the way is ever so understanding, says that there is no way to tell what might be sitting out by the barn when she gets home. She's partial to 55 Buicks. The 54 Buicks are my favorite, if I have a favorite.

13. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    hey...be nice...its Xmas :biglaugh:

:Welcome: to the joint man !!
    lookin forward to seeing your lovely collection !!

till then :christmas:

14. theone41

theone41 Member

Well, I found some older pictures while cleaning my computer up a bit, if I can figure out how to load them. Old Blue is our 54 Century that I've owned (and been working on) since about 95. I has a 401 Nailhead with two-fours and a 400TH. Everything on the car was on it when it was born or came from another Buick except the A/C system and the air cleaner. Sara is our 53 Chrysler and it is pretty much original except for the 66 Impala rear end. Brake parts are really high for these cars and I got tired of looking for them and paying too much when I found them. Also the original wheels are 5x5 1/2. The black car I traded to a friend a while back and I've been regretting it so we've been talking another trade. The badthing for me is the car seems to be worth quite a bit more now than when I had it. The 41 Ford pickup I sold/traded about a year ago along with a 41 Roadmaster sedan to get some spending/restoration cash for our 41 Roadmaster coupe re-do. I'll get some pictures of the other stuff when it warms up a little.

Attached Files:

15. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That 41 Ford pickup is soooo badass!!