Newbie introduction

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by a67goatnut, Jun 14, 2006.

1. a67goatnut

a67goatnut New Member Charter Member

Hello,

Just joined the forum and thought I should say "HI". I'm from the Puget Sound area of Washington State. I bought myself a 1965 Pontiac Tempest Wagon about 8 months ago. It was a one owner car in complete, relatively original condition. There are a couple areas that need some metal repair but overall the car is in great condition.

I've been looking for a '64-'67 Pontiac "A" body wagon for about 10 plus years. Since I have owned this car I have managed to completely disassemble the car and have completed the metal repairs. I am currently researching information for the original interior paint and hope to have the interior restored and back together in the next few months. My next goal is to have the mechanicals reconditioned enough to make the haul to Bend Oregon next May. This seems pretty ambitious to me considering my abilities.

I'm looking forward to communicating with the crowd here and picking the brains of the "experts".

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum Scott:):Welcome:

3. mechanic

mechanic New Member Charter Member

Like those pontiacs. You must tell us all about it. What motor has it got in it? How do you find getting hold of parts? Need any info on the mechanicals, ask away. Plenty of guys who can help.

Welcome to the forum Scott.

4. a67goatnut

Thanks for the welcome.

Mechanic, The Wagon has a 215 IL 6. I bought it from the original owner. I was even able to keep the original title for the car when I transfered it at the DMV.

Parts that I have been looking for have been available for the most part. The wagon specific parts are probably to market already because of the chevy crowd. All the parts that I've found are listed for chevy wagons. Wortks for me except for the extra work looking. I would like to replace the gas tank, not a leaker but has sat for 20 plus years. I got a pic of the old gas if you want to see why I want to start new....lol. The tanks supposedly are different than for chev wagons. Figures, beings that is the only one I see reproduced. I wonder if the only difference is in the filler neck.

I wish that the kickdown switched was reproduced. They are the same part on firebirds and are bringing hugh $$ on e-bay for NOS switches. I will probably just go with an aftermarket kickdown when I get to that point.

The car is just about completely stripped down. I have been doing some metal repairs and building my parts list.

I also have a fully restored '67 GTO that has helped me decide that ..."The next car I get I will not be as concerned about originality". I have wanted something like this where I can be a little flexible about correct parts. I want to restore the body and interior to original (as original as I can get it). The rest of my plan is to make it somewhat of a rat rod. I will restore the steel wheels, install some whitewall tires and dog dish hubcaps. I want to slam it to the ground too. The body will probably stay in promer/sealer for a while until I save $$ for the disc brakes and suspension upgrades. Until then, I just want to get it back on the road.

Cheers!
    Scott

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Nice Pontiac

I like your pontiac. I am partial to the inline 6's. I think they look nice dressed up a bit.

6. a67goatnut

If I keep the 6 cyl. in the car, I would want to do something like in this picture!

Attached Files:

7. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Now that is nice. Or, you could find one of those OHC Pontiac sixes from the Firebird. They are getting scarce though.