New wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by MAK, Aug 21, 2021.

1. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well looks like I’m back!
    Went gravel bike riding with my brother in Colorado 2 weeks ago . Drove out in the Audi A5 convertible -3300 miles round trip- coming home got to within 250 miles from home - Charleston WV- ran over a truck brake pad, the pad attachments went thru my oil pan into bottom of engine
    Car is totaled repair over 20 grand.
    Soooo looking at a 2017 Mercedes wagon
    Don’t pick on me for not getting another classic wagon, I tried! Told my wife that I wanted another CP or Electra wagon and have it restored to almost new - she asked “where I was going to live with my new old wagon”
    That pretty much killed that idea.

New Mercedes wagons at a reasonable ? price are almost as hard to find as decent classic wagon.

should have a deal done by next week,
    News at 5 film at 11

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Dang that's a hard lick on the oil pan to puncture it that bad. Hopefully you find something that you like at a reasonable price.

Good luck with the search.

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dang....
    Not quite the way you want to replace a vehicle. Kinda like what happened to us - younger daughter visiting us from So Cal. Borrowed our 2012 Edge for a day to visit her best friend up in Portland. Rear-ends somebody on I-5 and totals the Edge.... (she and others were OK).

Looking forward to seeing your new acquisition!

4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The brake shoe after it had almost dropped out of the oil pan. the prongs, I'm told, is how it attaches to the brake. Had no option either run over it in the middle of the car or with the wheels. I actually thought it was just a hunk of truck tire.
    The Audi A5
    upload_2021-8-21_17-16-31.jpeg
    The brake shoe
    upload_2021-8-21_17-5-13.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-21_17-5-51.jpeg

Oil slick
    upload_2021-8-21_17-6-11.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Bummer to hear about your car's untimely demise.
    I like the idea of restoring a classic wagon to "like new" condition. If my wife asked something like “where I was going to live with my new old wagon” I'd reply with "right here in the house with you of course" :thumbs2:

6. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OrthmannJ
    your either newly married or long term married! I just said "Yes dear" and dropped it immediately
    I am long term Very married, 44 years and would marry her in a NY minute, it always helps when YOU know that you married up.
    She looked hot in the Audi!

7. OrthmannJ

:rofl2: yup!
    I'd say I'm long term married, but you certainly have me beat. :thumbs2: And speaking for myself, I definitely married up.

I bet she did. I always love to see when someone's spouse shares in their automotive passion. Like I said earlier, it's a bummer to hear that the Audi was totaled as she obviously enjoyed it. And the fact that she enjoyed it clearly brought you happiness.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That is a big bummer. No one should lose out on their vehicle due to 'road hazards.'

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you had scored another Panther wagon....:disagree:

9. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    wonder if you could find somewhere to take the audi and just have another used motor swapped in? still a pretty car. should cost a lot less than 20 grand? but audis are funny animals..we have an older A6 that needs an alternator, to replace it the front end has to come off the car to change it,the local foreign car repair shop with the best reputation around refused to even work on it and said there was no way to make a used audi dependable from past experience...sheesh

10. OrthmannJ

Dang dude. :shocked: That's crazy.

11. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wagonrodder
    I agree with your mechanic my 97 cabriolet was t-boned, smashed the drivers door but good - "best Audi" bodyshop in Chicago fixed it - but top never sealed the same. didn't really leak but the wind noise certainly increased. I truly believe you can't fix imports that have significant damage and have the same as before - there are always small annoying issues.
    the A5 was out of my hands an in the insurance companies, unless I bought it back from them, but then it would have a salvaged title. never get $$ back