New user

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 76IMP, Jul 12, 2010.

1. 76IMP

76IMP New Member

Hi, just thought I would try out this site to get an idea of what my wagon could be worth. I bought a '76 Impala 9 passenger about 3 years ago as an investment from an aquaintance. I realize that this is not the most desirable looking or featured wagon but I thought maybe my kids would like to ride in it or the wife and just have fun with it and sell it down the road. Well my wife has zero interest in it and basically thinks its embarassing etc. My kids kind of just laugh about it. The guy I bought it from had only had it a year and had bought it from a friend who was the original owner. The original owner didn't even have kids he just bought it new thinking it was the "safest" car on the road. Rear seats have almost never been touched and interior is pretty much perfect headliner etc. It even has the original box of kleenex from the swingout holder under the dash. A clarion cassette was installed at one time but the original am is in a box in the spare tire compartment. The body is super straight a couple of paint blems around clamshell and worn tailgate on edges where it slides underneath. One paint chip dime size on passenger front door and that's about it. It has 105,000 miles and original 400. I did convert to r134 first summer I owned it and other than that have just put gas in it . I'm sure I haven't put 1000 miles on it in 3 years. It runs like a dream. Has typical chevy valve guide smoke on start up but that's it. Has original hubcaps (not very attractive) thought about rally wheels but don't know if I will keep car. Gets a lot of Griswold/Brady Bunch comments but I'm sure being the wagon forum you've heard all of that.

2. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:Sounds like a fine longroof you have! Can't wait to see some pics (hint hint)...:D

3. 76IMP

76IMP New Member

pics

Will try to get some on today. Supposed to be working right now:)....

4. 76IMP

76IMP New Member

I got a few pics taken but can't figure out how to get them on here. sorry

Attached Files:

5. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Welcome 76IMP. I like the way the car is trimmed: wheel opening moldings, bodyside moldings, door-edge moldings. Looks to be in very good condition. :Welcome:

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The Old Cars Price Guide shows a value for a 1976 Chevy Impala 3-seat station wagon in #3 ("car show quality") condition of $4,000. In #4 condition (needing full restoration, but driveable), it's $1,800. That's a big difference, and these are very average numbers. (In #2 condition, showroom condition, it's $6,230.) There was also a more upscale version of this wagon that year based on the Caprice Classic line with values a few percent higher than those above for vehicles in similar condition.

At 105,000 miles with the blemishes you mention, it's certainly not in showroom condition. However, it has things going for it in the areas you do mention, so the value is likely somewhere in between, maybe in the $3,000 range.

As you might guess, these are not highly sought-after collectibles, but there is interest in station wagons (as this site shows), and it is growing. You might have to persevere if you try to sell it, but you can probably get what you want out of it assuming your expectations are not too high.

It's kind of unfortunate your family can't see it for what it is. It was the consummate family hauler back in the days before mini-vans, and there was one of these or something like on it on every block in every suburb in America. This particular model was the last of the '71-'76 era of GM wagons with the clamshell tailgate that disappeared into the floor while the window went up into the roof, leaving completely unencumbered access to the rear area. It really is a piece of history (and I don't say that just because I have an Olds wagon from the same era with the same tailgate!).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Oh man! I like this big, bold, red Chevy wagon!

[​IMG]

I think it is very attractive...wheel covers and all!

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome:

WAGON PRIDE!!! :dance: Hold your head up high! And declare yourself "76IMP"! :lolup:

"BIG AND BOLD!...LOUD AND PROUD!" Who cares what anyone else thinks!
    You have a True American Icon! :dancingparty:KICKIN' IT OLD SCHOOL!
    David :)

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, 76imp. I'll give you 500 bucks for it right now!:D

9. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :lolup: See...there's always someone here ready and eager to help out...:disagree:

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup....I'm just a helpful kinda guy, 442! :D

11. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:Welcome:, sounds like your selling, just want some feed.

Well Fox offered $500, I'll go $501:)

OK, lets get serious... Ebay is full of wagons that have book prices and barret jackson dreams.....we keep seing these wagons over and over! being seroius, your one pic although very nice does'nt say much. Whats it worth,,?,, we honestly need pics of the old girl inside out up and down. Whats it worth,,?,, Location location, location, and what some one will pay for it in th end.

:yup:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    GEEZE, Fat! I thought we were friends! I'd never jump on one of YOUR deals.

:biglaugh:

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:hide:, sorry Fox...

PPHhhsst........... I'll offer $1 more than Fox's max bid, but only when he's ofline:rednose:

:biglaugh::rofl2::rofl::bump:

14. 76IMP

76IMP New Member

Thanks for feedback

Thanks to all who replied to my query about my wagon value. Sorry I couldn't get other pictures attached. I've not ever used online forums and the like and am somewhat handicapped as far as attaching photos the one I got on was purely by mistake. As I said the inside of the car is near perfect a small stitching seam about 3 inches long is unstitched on drivers seat area. A little bit of red paint on edges of seat backs metal sections that lay flat when seats all down is missing. My dad collects cars and according to 1-5 ratings he feels like car is probably a #3+. But it definitely is unrestored more of a driver. I rechecked was thinking of another car this one has 98k on it not much difference. Also not as good as I thought kleenex box was dated 1978. I paid 2k for the car 3yrs. ago was hoping to double $ might be a pipe dream just don't want to lose$. My dad has purchased 2 cars at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and I personally think that auction works for sellers. He paid pretty premium prices for #2 cars. It seems like the bidding sometimes causes people to pay much more than what something is worth. I got to help him spend 7 years doing a concourse resto on a 1970Boss302 that is absolutely immaculate. In real world better than any Boss he's seen at Barrett Jackson but should only be worth 80-90k. Based on others sold at BJ his is worth 130k. Anyways back to wagons I'd like to get my hands on classier chevelle,or 60s buick or possibly 50s Bel Air.

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Get someone to post pix for you. You will get no stabs in the dark on this forum. We are a pretty critical bunch when it comes to pricing stuff. Unless it's us selling it...:rofl2: