New User - 1977 Buick Estate Wagon...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Tallguyjoe, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Tallguyjoe

Tallguyjoe Member

Hello, new user Joe here.

Anyways, my father and I have a joint project, a ’77 Estate Wagon. Why an Estate Wagon, much less a ’77? Well my grandfather bought the car new back in ‘77 and I remember many times riding in the back reverse seats when my brother and I were little and it has been in the family ever since. We originally thought about selling it, my mom didn’t want it taking space in their garage anymore so I thought I should at least find someone who might appreciate the car from a club instead of someone who would buy it and let it fall apart. I found the local St. Louis Buick club and we decided to keep the car instead and join the club and make it a project. I don’t see too many wagons of any kind at shows so I figured it would be neat to have something different that strikes up conversations and stories from people who see it. It seems that almost everyone has ridden in a wagon at one point in their life which is something kids today have no clue about. We had it at a local Buick display and my dad let kids sit in the back because they never had and didn’t believe their parents that people actually sat back there.

Luckily the car is in pretty decent shape overall. Most of the issues are the body with some rust and dents along with some trim missing. We are planning on getting it painted but I don’t know the companies that make the woodgrain. I heard 3M stopped a few years ago and that there are aftermarket companies but I need to look into that. The car has around 112,000 miles on it runs great, rides so smooth and is mostly original. The only new thing in the interior is the headliner was replaced awhile ago. Some of the seats are a bit faded and trim faded but other than that no rips and the carpet is in good shape. We figure once we get it painted it should be in pretty good shape for awhile.

We have met a lot of great people in the local St. Louis Buick club in St. Louis. We have even taken it out for a few shows this year and everyone who stops by has a station wagon story to tell which is neat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice intro, loved the pictures. Great looking wagon. Isn't it that you and your dad are keeping the car in the family and having fun with it a the car shows. I think your grandfather would be pleased.

A few of the members here may be able to help you with the woodgrain when you get it painted.

:Welcome: to you and your wagon :)

3. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Welcome Joe! I love your 1977 Estate Wagon! :Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:

I would love to have a '77-'79 EW...like the front end styling much better than later.

Yours is wonderful! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima Such great shape!
    Love the light blue...my neighbors had one exactly like it! I walked by it everyday to and from school. Knew it was cool, even back then!

David :)

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Best intro in a long time IMO:thumbs2: Pictures to prove it's real, and what a wagon!, :tiphat::Welcome:

That is a stunning survivor:2_thumbs_up_-_anima! The only negative thing I have to say is don't listen to others and repaint, but thats just me:D. Presurve what you have, I don't think a real survivor like your Buick/your year has ever shown up here. Aesome real deal from back in the day you have! Find your missing pieces althogh it may be hard and don't listen to the re-paint, restore croud. You have a ....... when are you or we ever going to see a wagon like yours, unmolested, origonal, survived how many years??

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. Noulee

Noulee Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good to see another Buick wagon alive! She's looking good!!

6. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome! Good looking Buick, love the color combo, especially the interior. The seats have a nice look too.
    These '77s are probably getting very scarce, as 'First Year" models, I'd tend to agree with Tedy, freshen it up,
    protect it from any corrosion and preserve it in as original condition as possible.

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, tall. I'm with the others on this nice wagon....clean it up, fix it up, polish it up, drive it. Unless you are going to do a complete resto I would leave the car with it's natural patina. Not many honest old cars around anymore that can prove it.

8. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great looking wagon. Welcome to the forum.

9. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    That's a really nice looking wagon, you don't see too many of the late 70's Buicks nowadays.

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I have to chime in again, keep it the way it is, preserve!:yup: This is what I did to my although a few years newer but one owner origonal 83 Cutlass Crewzer.....

Paint..... Keep It Simple... wash, garden hose only, no high presure car washes. Hand poish, your paint won't stand up to a power polisher. Once you have hand poished...next wash and several after wash and hand wipe with Pledge, ya know good old lemom frsh furniture poish Pledge.

I noticed on one of your pics the paint is thin on the drivers front fender...Thompsons Water Seal, after you wash but before poish.
    I also use Thompsons on the tail gate wood witch became very brittle a year'ish ago....saved my tail gate and it looks good.

Your wood....Preserve!!!:yup:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9444

Your interiour, I use the same leather conditioner on it's interiour as exteriour. Cleans, softens, doesn't dry out and your not left with that greese feeling and look that attracts dust etc...like if you used Amourall crap, Megwiyers (Spelling?) crap etc.

I do the same with my 87 Buick Estate, all works like a champ and is cheap to do(y)

Do this and that baby of yours will SHINE!

11. Sojo

Sojo Semi-Guru

Dayumn! Clean inside and out, got that nautical look goin' on inside, fitting for a big ol' yacht that hauls about 20! Set sail, cap'n!

Very impressive way to say "HI"! Welcome aboard!

12. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

Brings back good memories of my old '79 EW, exactly the same interior. Mine was well optioned with the Olds 403CID V8, but I didn't replace the woodgrain when I gave it a bodyjob. Should have never sold it, hope you don't make the same mistake, lol. :dance:

13. bettywagon

bettywagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Preserve!

Hi, Like all the other posts, I firmly believe in preserving anything from this era. I'm not a GM guy but I know the VALUE in preserving a clean, unmolested vehicle. My grandfather had 2 Plymouth K-car wagons in my youth that I wish I had bought and cherished, purely for nostalgia purposes. He also had a 60' Ford Ranch Wagon that my father and past family photos prove. I have been trying to find one just because he owned it, and I'm not even a Ford guy. FAMILY MEMORIES will win everytime!:party5:

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the board
    great story...im with the most ...leave it ...luv it...(y)

15. Sojo

Sojo Semi-Guru

You can always hold church services in it to raise a little revenue. Hell, you could even do funerals with receptions in it!

What I'm trying to say is that it's HUGE. I miss those days...