New southern member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by gaiamon, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Gaia, this outta settle your concerns about getting off topic :rofl2:where did we go?!?! This reminds me, I was talking to another "housewife"(I'm a man, i checked 30 minutes ago) on the playground and somehow she mentioned her two year old daughter loves "little house on the prairie." Weird I thought, a two year old being a fan of Micheal Landon ..... turns out there is a book or some junk that is probably based on the t.v. Series?:drool:

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    We're never far off topic. Good luck Namaste' Gaiamonon putting your station wagon back on the road.

3. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

ModelT1, now you know that you caught my eye, with that statement"there's no place to grow anything"(smile) Well, you had better investigate Permaculture one more gin,as some southerners say. Look at it this way, there are many surfaces on your house, and all around you, and these can be planted on...For instance, grape vines on the porche for cooling and fruit. Container growing in any area of the house, squash and other vinning plants on the roof for shading and cooling/plus vegetables,verticle applications are all around you,but most people have been taught the typical ways of growing.
    Hey check out Eco" out of florida,and see some of their techniques of food growing from roofs!......Peaceeeeeee

Grizz likes this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    We moved back to Illinois because my wife and I were having growing pains.

I realize we could have grown things in NW Florida despite we had five acres of beach sand, a metal roof, and were , mostly buried among shade trees.
    We had a grape arbor and four grape vines, two fig trees, and tried varies fruit trees, even had miniature bananas for awhile.:bananaman: But being gone camping and too far north those plants can't survive in NW Florida. They either die of heat and no water or freeze.
    We even had a 20'X30' greenhouse for years. The wind and heat are rough on those.
    I know home gardening can be done, if people stay home. But the local vendors and roadside fruit stands were always handy and reasonable. I remember buying 50# bags of potatoes along the highway for $5.00. Melons for $1.00, and other bargains. Sometimes after the pickers finished a field... free food.
    Or we'd stop in Valdailia County, Ga for onions and peaches.
    In the long run we'd rather be camping.:rofl:

5. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:gaiamon , nice to see you have a plan and good luck with your Crown Vic :cheers: from Downunder

6. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Dennis, thanks for the welcome.....Yet I hope that you will understand, that seeing this welcome from Downunder, also brings sad memories to me of the passing(RIP) of my dear friend and mentor "Bill Mollison". Your country should be proud of him.
    On a lighter note, it also brought to mind two other things, ie "Sting's song(Downunder), and "Foster beer". Today Saturday, perhaps I'll go into the nearby city and purchase some.....Cheers to you mon !

dennis likes this.
  7. Bowman13

Bowman13 New Member

Welcome! I'm new also, and I have a 66 Country Sedan and my husband has a 66 Country Squire! We are in TN so, if there is anything you need for your car we can try to help you. There may be some access to some Squires around TN. I will have to ask my husband. Good luck and again, welcome!

dennis likes this.
  8. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    :thumbs2:TENNESSEE!!!:thumbs2:

Bowman13 likes this.
  9. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Bowman13, thanks for the welcome, and a welcome back to you! And thanks for the potential look out for country squires that you mention.....Peaceeee

Bowman13 likes this.