New Mercury enthusiast!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by okiecowboy, Mar 2, 2009.

1. okiecowboy

okiecowboy New Member

Hi,
    Steve from Oklahoma. Just purchased a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park LS. Immaculate condition with 19,000 original miles. Am looking forward to learning more about Wagons and enjoying mine.

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums Steve. You sure did pick up a fine wagon!

3. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, what a dandy! Especially with them low of miles! Would love to see some pics!

4. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:With a car like that I hear "Road Trip"!. What a cruiser that is.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Where are these people FINDING these great wagons!??!? I can't find ONE DECENT wagon from Ford or GM in the 80',s anywhere.

6. okiecowboy

okiecowboy New Member

Can't wait to take her for a spin.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I picked her up at an estate auction. The car wasn't on the auction ad and only one person bid against me. I really didn't realize what a great deal I got until I started researching the old wagons on the net. I will take pictures as soon as I get a chance and post them here. It is smokey gray with maroon velvet interior.

7. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    19,000?????
    durn!!....thats some lo miles!!!!

:Welcome: to the Toolbox

8. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Take a trip through the western Dakotas. Lots of cared-for vehicles, farmer-owned and parked along the road-side (mostly the county roads.)

Gotta good nose for a great deal! :Welcome:

9. honeybunnyii

honeybunnyii New Member

I just purchased a 1988 Colony Park

after_wagon_new_hub_caps.jpg img_1525.jpg ;)Hi sold the 1977 LTD and the 1990 Crown Vic wagons. Just purchased a 1988 with 68,444 miles. Took it to a mechanic and other then brakes and a right tire rod bushing? Sorry maybe have the term mixed up. Know what it looks like rubber thing when you move the wheel back and forth should not rock. Other then that she is tight. The odometer numbers looked uneven and after some research I noticed on the door it had a worn oil change tag that said the last oil change was in 2008 when the mileage was 67,000 something hard to read. So now I'm thinking that may be the actual mileage. Car was titled in a very up scale (Grosse Point) MI neighborhood. Everything else runs smooth like new, windows, locks, heat, air. And to the first post, very cool finding one with 19,000 miles and if you paid like $500 we will all hunt you down! LOL. So back to my car, only thing is I did not like the aluminum wheels that come with the car and found really nice 1988 spoke hub caps original to the Mercury and replaced them. The chrome looks much better I think. Here is the before wheel change. Will post the after later today. Having hard time up loading will try to post in another thread.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  10. honeybunnyii

honeybunnyii New Member

Did it! Posted pictures only took well never mind.

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice Car HB!
    Actually...the wheels on the right hand pic are the mag wheels that came on those as an option upgrade IIRC. Clean those up and they are beautiful rims. And, if you don't want them....are probably saleable.

12. honeybunnyii

honeybunnyii New Member

wheels

Hi, I'm sure they were an upgrade. The Michelin's I found on Craigslist had wheels on them and when I suggested to the tire guys that I wanted remove them and use the originals wheels they insisted that they would leek blah, blah, blah. After all that doom and gloom. So okay! Just put on the new ones for heaven's sake. I traded the aluminum wheels to the guy that I got the new hubs from. Yes, he got a deal but really I like the look of the hubcaps over the wheels, so good for him. It's easier as a gal just not to argue with some guys. I have a plan wait till you see the car after I'm done with my improvements, I think you'll like the chrome hubs with bronze mirrored windows and faux crocodile instead of the wood trim. (I'm a decorative painter, I can create a finish that mimics the real thing), that and my signage on the windows, I'll be whaling... ! Thanks for the reply. :p

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think the hubs look just fine. Nice, really. (uhhh...won't address the guy that got the originals.) And....the important thing is...you are having fun and enjoying your wagon! It's a nice one.

14. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    finding wagons

To be truthfull,we pretty much lucked into ours.Had found several "nearly beaten to death" wagons,that looked like they'd allready been stunt vehicles in Hollywood movies.And,while the sellers were thinking they were "letting them go at a bargain basement price",we were thinking they'd be lucky to get half as much as they were asking...Then we went on the internet.The Colony Park we ended up with,was the only full-size 80's woodiewagon within 200 miles of our computer.And that was here in the LA area.It had been "the nun's car" at a Catholic church in the LA harbor area.We live about 30 miles inland.Well taken care of and in good shape.It came with almost 63,000 miles on it...Under 20,000 sounds way too good.Sure hope it's true.:)

15. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome aboard

I got an 86 Colony Park,a few years back.It fits well into what has become the tradition of Colony Park,since 1965,when FoMoCo decided Mercury would make the Lincoln Continental stationwagon.When the designation TownCar kicked in,in the 70's,Colony Park became the TownCar stationwagon.Personally,I like the Colony Parks way more than I like the TownCars.So does everybody in my family.We all call her Pearl(She's white with a marroon and brown interiour).Our 95 Taurus is called The Green One,and isn't a member of the family like Pearl is.Being Mercurys,Colony Parks also live up to the intention of that brand since 1939;to be Ford's with style and class.And while there are many who cannot tell the differences between our wagons and Country Squires,I'm sure you can.I have no doubt you're going to enjoy owning your Colony Park.At 20,000 miles,it's just getting "broken in".It's got a long illustrious future ahead of it.Make it glorious!:1st: