New member, old car

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by purpleblue77, May 12, 2010.

1. purpleblue77

purpleblue77 New Member

My engine VIN is X. :) The car vin. It is listed in autozones website, among all the other parts stores and a few vin decoders I checked. supposed to have the 4 bbl 390. But as I said seems someone replaced it. Ill check motor numbers later. Thanks!

2. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. Love the car.

3. purpleblue77

purpleblue77 New Member

thanx! (inserts charactders so message is long enough to send)

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    well darn...i got to the party late didnt I ??:slap:

:Welcome: Ann....and i have yet to see the pics...but all the guys are all over it ...so...i'll say...congrats....and KEEP IT:yup:

:tiphat:

5. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

I found the model year production for the 1968,, NOTE "68!!!
    they show 174 390's in Ambassadors and my sheet shows FIVE 390's in wagons AGAIN,, this is for the 68 Ambassador.
    And 2 390's in the 68 Rebel base model ( 6819),this was the first year the 390 came out.;) I sure the 1969 390 production was a bit higher.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Cad, I can't remember the post but we found out that Ann, the owner of this rare wagon had some very bad luck involving a engine fire that did alot of damage.

We're still thinking of you Ann, if you pop by:(

[​IMG]

7. purpleblue77

purpleblue77 New Member

Yes, I had a major engine fire

The glass fuel filter broke and all the gas blew out on the distributer, which had the points window off because I had been adjusting it and left it off, and it dies, and I tried to restart it and that was that. Giant ccloud of black smoke, giant firebqall under hood, it burned for 10 minutes at least before the fire department got there. They hit the hood once with their axe before I could tell them how to open it correctly. Didnt do much, compared to the fire.... it burned everything to a crisp from the distributer to the firewall, and almost went inside at the fan housing hole. It didnt, just melted some insulation in the blower area... but everything else must be replaced. I am workin on it, I have a carb, I am about to get the radiator redone, and the distributer still works,.... but I am having hell finding brake parts for it. I will have to rewire it as well. If you people knew the entire story of how I have almost sold it, then couldnt, then decided to keep it, then almost sold it to Eddie Stakes, (I am glad he said no).... I am doing everything I can to keep it. I have this sneaking suspicion that if I sell it I will see it on barret jackson for 50 grand in a few years. I also have another problem.... you guys are gonna think I'm crazy..... but she has a little bit of Christine in her.... when I sit in it, I know I am in something rare and beautiful and worth keeping.... I can feel it. My goal is to be driving her within a few weeks again, i hope. If not I will drag it around until I can, unless I am about to live under a bridge, then I might sell it. This car has a hold on me. By the way I did confirm it is a 401, with 9k miles on the rebuilt engine. I have fired it over (only once recently), and turned it over every few days so it wouldnt lock up but I need new valve covers they got cooked and are rusting. The story will probably get even more interesting before it's over. Thanks for the production figures... I know this thing is probably one of a kind these days....see you soon.

Attached Files:

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I saw this on the other forum, Ann. I felt SO bad for you. But...although I know it is a hardship for you I am so happy to hear that you are fighting to bring that beauty back. As for parts...PM cadipacer. I'm sure he can and will help you. Good luck, Ann ..... and thanks for saving that rare wagon in the face of hardship.:clap:

9. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

Hey, we all have stuff like that happen.:whew:
    Glad no one was hurt like driving on the open Hwy & nobody near to help.
    If you need brakes,, I have a simpler fix that I used on my 62 Rambler (401). Also IF this is a 401 and has the Borg Warner trasnm its a 1971 401 the first year ..If you have a 72-up then they used a 727 ( Chrysler).
    Its best if you call me after 5:00 weekdays, anytime on wk ends
    502-964-4328 ask Phil
    NOTE: looking at the pics appears to be 71 era 401 , 72 would have mech-kickdown linkage..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Call CP, Ann. It will be your best shot. He knows AMC.:yup:

11. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, Ann, you sure have had your ups and downs with this car. I can't imagine the frustration you are going through with getting it, sorting it out, then having the fire - it takes someone with a lot of backbone to carry on. It also makes the end result when it is up and running and you and your dog are out enjoying it that much sweeter.

In my past I've had a few very unique and rare cars. I kind of knew they were but wasn't really on the ball and got talked out of them, or got frustrated and sold them. Much to my dismay I'd see the cars a couple of years later and almost slit my wrist. They were done well, had people all around them, and were exactly what I had dreamed of doing to them. Not once, four times. I'm a very slow learner, or that's what my wife keeps telling me.

Hopefully it makes sense for you to keep the car and work on it as time and budget allow.

Keep us posted. As you can tell from all the activity on this thread, many of us are rooting for you, and love the project you've undertaken.

12. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I've had my 4 also Ann, 63 Valiant, 72 Duster, 69 Cougar, and lastly my 80 Colony Park. If I could get 1 of those 4 back, I think you know witch one I would choose.

Do keep us in the loop Ann, all the best:wave:

13. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ouch! Good luck with that black beauty. She deserves to run like an Eagle. Yep Cadipacer is the AMC goto guy, in these parts.

14. 1OldFordMan

1OldFordMan New Member

Wagon Garage:
    All I can say after seeing those pictures is OUCH! Glad nobody got hurt. Good luck on the restoration project.