New member, old car

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by purpleblue77, May 12, 2010.

1. 1OldFordMan

1OldFordMan New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have trouble with Spacers, especially the wagons. Otherwise, hey AMC made some cool stuff. A lot of people ( especially the younger generation who weren't around " Back in the day " ) who haven't heard of them don't know what an AMC is even..

2. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

OK,, 16,691 Ambassador wagon, 7825 were SST models(y)

3. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

AMCs are high on my list of wish I hads. My parents got sooo mad at the lemon Pontiac Catalina they had (1974) that they traded it in on a 74 Hornet X with the 258. They always said that the Hornet was the best car they had ever owned. These folks were die hard GM loyalists.

4. rancheronut

rancheronut New Member

me like AMC.:dance:
    my parent use to own them back in the early to mid 70's. my first car was 1967 AMC rogue. AFTER 30 YRS ,I got another 1967 AMC ambassador.
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/21580

so enjoy you sweet rare ride!

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Girl after my own heart, if I was'nt maried alwready.......

:Welcome: Ann, I just saw your wagon in the other post, WOW that is awesome nice!:2_thumbs_up_-_anima, great deal also! Glad to have you here:D(y)

6. cadipacer

I'm still working on finding 390 production on the AMB 1969 ( with the 390)
    I found on the "ambassador page" (3) 390's installed in 1970 :1st:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:tothe wagon train, purp. I could learn to hate you for stealing that rare beauty!:D I like the old AMC cars and that one is an real find with that color combo and engine. Good for you and I'm waiting for more pix! Oh....and I'll give you $750 for it!:D

8. purpleblue77

purpleblue77 New Member

Are you saying that tjhey only made 3 70's with this engine? Dang! lol it might be the ONLY 69 with one left! lol. Unfortunately the whole brake system is full of crap, and I am going broke trying to get her on the road. She may very well be for sale if it keeps up! Oh and the transmission is making an awful knocking noise too. :(

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Don't give up on it Ann, it's a diamond ruby in the ruff.:yup:

My Clown car is a crushed pop can compared to your AMC, I've got all the work you mention ahead of me plus more. I hav'nt started on it yet but I will be driving it in a couple years.

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did I miss those "tons of pix"??

11. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

12. cadipacer

The quote I read in a artilce on the Amassador page indicated, only 3 1970 .. 390 cid engine in the AMBASSADOR,,, the Javelin and AMX got a large amount. Also Dr Otto. the tech-man on the AMCRC site said; he was not able to find any production V8 figure on the 69 AMBASSASOR 390's:banghead3:
    From my 40 years in AMCs Nash, Rambler,, its been experience that!,, now I 'm going out on a limb, maybe 50 AMBASSADOR got the 390 in 1969.. since that engine is the desired V8 of the 69 two-seater AMX as well as 1968,, ( 70 is slight diff) it would bring above $1500 JUST for the engine running in that car with the bonked tranny just as it is,, PROVIDED it runs smooth and no smoking at tail pipe, and able to tach up and down to ensure a sure sale ,, many AMX guys would gladly pay $1500 for running 390 they can see/ hear and tach-up before such a purchase.. again PM for future decesions on the investment.(y)

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well.....so much for my $750 offer.:rofl2:

14. purpleblue77

purpleblue77 New Member

Bad news. I found a ledger of maintenance. It says that the 390 was overhauled at 20 something thousand miles and at 46000 a rebuilt 71 401 was installed. In 1990 or something. Ill scan it later. So much for the good engine :( at least the car originally had one... and isnt a 71 401 a good engine? I spent the last 2 days rebuilding the brake cylinders. The front rigth brake drum is smaller the the left one.... way smaller o_O. It doesnt work either even tho it should... either the diameter is off or proportioning valve dead. I just cant believe that at 55k it really has had a motor changed :(:(:(:(:(:(

15. cadipacer

Lets do it this way,, start at the original vin at window/dash or pass-side shock tower.. VIN should start with "A" the 7th digit a "letter" if it was a 390 it will be -W-X or - Y.. comfirms 390.. then craw under car look behind engine mount on either side ( flashlight ) embossed in block is the current engine size in approx 1" numbers. Then easiler , but always not true check on the front of pass-side valve cover for a 1" square tag with one screw in center it too will have a letter confirming( possible eng size(y)
    IF a 401 cid, ID on valve cover will have a Z.. that is ALSO a very good seller $1200 minimun ( however the 71 is least desired for the automatics since its the Borg Warner,, where as 72 up are (Chryslers 727) BUT ALL will work with the 4 speed. hope this helps Phil

Last edited: May 16, 2010