New here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by canyontide, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Erik Boattail

Erik Boattail Menior Sember

I've found out this about the model year 1972 Chevrolet intermediate size wagons:

Base wagon is the Nomad Station Wagon, came with l6 or V8 engines.

The Chevelle station wagon is named the Greenbrier Station Wagon, V8 engines only.

The Malibu station wagon is named the Concours Station Wagon, V8 engines only.

And there is a seperate series that's named the Concours Estate Wagon, V8 engines only.

VIN starting with:

1B36 = Nomad Station Wagon, 4 drs, 2 seats, dual tail gate

1C36 = Greenbrier Station Wagon, 4 drs, 2 seats, dual tail gate
    1C46 = Greenbrier Station Wagon, 4 drs, 3 seats, dual tail gate

1D36 = Concours Station Wagon, 4 drs, 2 seats, dual tail gate
    1D46 = Concours Station Wagon, 4 drs, 3 seats, dual tail gate

1H36 = Concours Estate Wagon, 4 drs, 2 seats, dual tail gate
    1H46 = Concours Estate Wagon, 4 drs, 3 seats, dual tail gate

Production figures:

2. Erik Boattail

Erik Boattail Menior Sember

I've found the production figures in the "Encyclopedia of American Cars from 1930":

Nomad L6: 2,956
    Nomad V8: 7,768

Greenbrier 2 seats: 6,975
    Greenbrier 3 seats: 2,370

Concours 2 seats: 17,968
    Concours 3 seats: 6,560

Concours Estate Wagon 2 seats: 5,331
    Concours Estate Wagon 3 seats: 4,407

That's a total of 54,335 Chevelle wagons for model year 1972

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 'Estate' had the Di-Noc wood on it. The rest did not.

4. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey y'all :) Well, I can't say a whole about the Chevelle wagon we have, I haven't been around it that much..we looked at it this past Monday, the 6th, then bought it on Tuesday. When we saw it, it was in back yard in high grass..and fill with wasps..which I was stung by..OUCH! :mad: hehe.. anyway, I can tell you it's blue with lots of body rust and needs to be completely taken apart and redone. We plan to restore to it's original state, except for the color...and we may add some wood panels :dancing:.... We'll see. I should have some pictures for y'all tomorrow...my husband and is picking it up with the trailer then and taking it to our shop...while I spend the day working of course...:banghead3:

Oh, and Krash, we're in South LAHOOOOOZIANA! :party6:

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Never saw any of those models up here! And I lived 10 blocks from the Canadian plant where they built the coupes and sedans. Go figure. I guess the AutoPact didn't cover them.

6. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

:Welcome: Canyon. Glad you found us. Growing up, our neighbor across the street had a 72 Chevelle Concours Estate...dark green w/ woodgrain. I always liked that car. Glad to see that the car y'all bought is being resurrected and steered away from the crusher. Can't wait to see the :camera:.

In the meantime, I found a page from Chevelles.com that is about the 72 wagons. http://www.chevelles.com/wagons/72wagon.html

7. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Tophers..Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, those Concours Estates are Coooooool! We may even add the woodgrain to the one we got, though it's not an Estate...not sure yet. Actually, as a kid our nextdoor neighbor had a green wagon with woodgrain, also...not sure what make and model, but I do remember that station wagon...would love to see it now! Pictures soon! :29:

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure I would put DiNoc on a wood delete wagon. But, it isn't my wagon. :disagree: :D Can't wait for the pix, canyon!(y)

9. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Silverfox! (y) NOt sure what we're gonna do..just thinking at this point..we have a ways to go before we get to the body :dance:

10. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Silver..I just watched a YT video on DiNoc...interesting stuff! Do you know, is that what they used on all the wagons back in the '70's?? :scratchchin:

THANKS! :)

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't know for sure, canyon. I presume so. Pretty much common in the day. BIG problem today is finding ANYTHING that looks factory. I have looked at most all of the suppliers and none of them match the factory pattern or color. If I wanted to do a replacement or addition like you mention, I would have to just pass. You may not care if it looks factory since your wagon was wood delete but I'm a stickler when it comes to having an old car look factory original. You will find some suppliers out there but look at the pattern and color of their stuff and then look at a good example of the factory stuff on a cherry wagon.

12. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Welcome canyontide. I agree about not making a non-woody original into a woody, much as I love woodgrain Di-Noc. The problem is, on the original woody Concours Estate, the body panels had holes punched through the sheet metal for attaching the lighter-colored trim (aluminum wrapped in light color Di-Noc) that framed the darker Di-Noc. If you're turning a non-woody into a woody, you'd probably have to use an adhesive-backed trim that won't look like the original trim, and as for collectability, I think this would reduce the value of the car. Probably tmi, but hope this helps your decision. :cheers:

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    merc brings up a good point. I am not aware of the body style of your wagon but he, apparently, is and if it is a "framed" dinoc then you have other major problems.

14. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, y'all rock...thanks so much for all the great advice! (y) Can't wait to get everyone's opinion on the car when I post the pictures! :Woot:

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One thing I didn't realize about the Di-Noc, is that the same vehicle might have different Di-Noc, depending on the year. Just saw in another post that of the B-body Buicks from '78 - '90, there were different wood patterns used - some light, some dark. And the vehicle was basically the same.