new here with a '73 Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by jaunty75, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    David (wixom61) is going to be your best bet for that, will be very easy I'm sure. I neglected to comment on the former owner and the history of your car.

I have a very similar story with my Toronado but don't want to hijack the thread, except to say it found me

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Hey Jaunty,
    Jeff is right, that hose is for the cable that moves the window. The window motor gear moves the screw-cogged cable and this tube provides the recepticle for the cable as it runs up and down.

David :)

3. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

David,

Thank you. I have one of those manuals on order. It's interesting the one you link to. $19.99 "Buy It Now" price looks good until you see that he wants $14.77 to ship it. Total cost of about $35.00. Ebay is supposed to be cracking down on exorbitant shipping costs. A book like that should ship for maybe $4.00 by media mail or maybe $7-8 by UPS.

Anyway, I got one on ebay over the weekend for $29.99 with free shipping. Six of one, half-dozen of the other. I love ebay. Mine was supposed to have been shipped yesterday, so I hope to have it in a few days.

I see that Rock Auto has them for a flat $37.99 plus shipping.

I've also got a bid in for a chassis service manual.

Thanks again!

5. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
  6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

7. pro67bird

pro67bird Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:Nice car, I am new as well and really happy to see all the people that love wagons.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. 76 Custom Cruiser Wagon

76 Custom Cruiser Wagon New Member

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Had a visit to the house yesterday from the local water utility as they installed a new storage tank in the area, and they were checking local water pressures. The guy sees my '73 Custom Cruiser and tells me they make good demolition derby cars. I could have smacked him. I don't think he was proposing to buy it, although I could have been convinced to let it go for, say, a million dollars.

Demolition derbies are big around here, and I know wagons are preferred because they're strongly built. This guy said he actually got four demolition derbies out of a single wagon once (not sure what it was). My heart could only cry.

My '67 Delta 88 convertible is parked right next to the wagon, and he didn't even notice it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is a very sick man. I'd be putting an extra lock on the garage door tonight. He's probably lurking right now trying to figure out how to sneak it out of your garage. He's thinking he could probably get at least four out of yours and maybe five or six. Yep, I'd be tossing and turning in my sleep if someone like that had been in my garage. :rofl2:

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The thing is, I can't quite tell from your post whether you're making fun of me or actually sympathetic to the thought I expressed. Judging from your last sentence, I'm guessing the former. I'm not actually losing sleep, but, on the other hand, I'm sorry if I don't see what's rolling-in-the-aisles funny about it.

You know, I joined this site a few days ago, and the responses were uniformly welcoming, with everyone saying what a great site it is and how everyone is friendly and helpful. I guess they should have been more specific and said that almost everyone is friendly.

12. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    you know I was wondering about the tailgate, do you think there is a manual emergency crank like when a power sunroof does not close? maybe a socket on the motor somewhere to manually crank it up. just a thought

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Not a bad question, but in the six years my dad owned two Custom Cruisers back in the early 70s, I don't recall ever hearing or reading about one. Of course, I don't recall that the tailgate motors ever failed, and you would think it might be something to include so that you're not stuck being unable to open the gate if the motor or battery failed.

But the cog and the motor gear intermesh, and if the motor doesn't turn, the cog can't can't move, and so the gate can't move. Unless there was some kind of clutch or something that would allow separating the two, I don't see how this could made to work. I have not had a chance this week to get at this problem, but I plan to over the weekend, when I'll have a little more time.

14. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    look for a socket on the motor that a star tool would fit into to turn the motor and wind up the gate. there might be a mechanical way to crank that gate up, turning motor and all

15. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Good thought. I will.