New Guy seeking Wagon Expertise

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Berean, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Berean

Berean New Member

Whoopsie! It IS a '70 Mach. All these threads about the '69 Fairlane IRT my dad's wagon had my mind on the wrong car when I wrote that. I must say, good catch. As you know, '69 is the dual light, recessed while the '70 is single. Very impressive.

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Very impressive. They planted those trees just so your Mustang would fit between them. I miss my 1965 fastback.
    [​IMG]

3. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Very nice 70 Mustang. Without the wide rocker trim it looks more like a Boss to me than a Mach I. As for the weather at the Burger King cruise in at Manassas, I should probably point out that even when the weather isn't perfect, there will still be some interesting cars there. I went yesterday, despite the threat of rain, but there were only about 30 cars there. I usually take a lot of photos, but last night I didn't even bother taking the camera out of my car. Now I think maybe I should have. There was a red 69 Mach I and a black 70 Mach I you would have liked. The red 69 appeared slightly modified. The black 70 was a very correct restoration down to the mag style wheel covers. There was also a red 71 Torino Cobra in attendance and even a few Mercury Comets.
    Meanwhile, if you're interested, here are links to a couple photo albums of photos I took at this cruise in on various Saturdays since March of this year. If you ever make it there, look for me with either my red 67 Dodge Coronet convertible, or white 68 Barracuda fastback.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741880.100001111775214&type=1&l=1ea953ce28

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741871.100001111775214&type=1&l=306ad8eaf0

4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So sorry to hear of your father's passing, was it recent?

That is a heck of a trip your planning there...do you think your brothers will go on this trip? Is this the only reason your buying this car?

I was just wondering if any of them might remember some details about the car. Perhaps, if you haven't yet, you could mention your plan to your brothers, let them know what your thinking about doing just as you did with us. Maybe they might enjoy helping with the search. And when you find THE car they could help you search for the parts that you'll be needing. Then planning the trip, if they are included in the planning, they are also included in the anticipation.

Just my 2cents, I wish you all the best in your search, your resto, your trip and your reconciliation. But above all :Welcome: to SWF. We maybe a wagon forum but we cover ALOT of topics. Please keep us up to date with your search.

Good Luck. :)

5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. I'm sure you can get a wagon of that same model and year, and finish.

6. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    It would tear me up to have to part with such a beautiful stang. Wowser!

mike

7. Berean

Berean New Member

I must say, this forum has a great bunch of fellas. In less than a day I have pretty much had my questions answered, an invitation, and a lot of empathy. I guess I should add a bit more detail as a lot of questions are popping up. This is not intended to be a violin play or a mood downer but...the truth is the truth. I have had so many years to deal with it and as a born-again Christian, I have come to accept all things as part of God's plan. One way or another. This story will also help to truly define why this car is of such great importance.

My mother gave birth to me at 15. A sister a year later and another brother each year after that. My sister died of SIDS when I was very young. Accordingly, my father became EXTREMELY protective and ever-watchful of the rest of his brood. Years went by and my mother picked up drugs again. My dad kicked her out. She visited once and kidnapped us. 6 mos later, she called my dad and said come get them on XYZ street corner in San Clemente. We lived with him until he, sadly, picked up his heroin habit. He lost his business, his house, everything. We actually lived in this car--the very one I posted--for a year. We were young and honestly, we didn't know better. We loved it. We loved our dad and being together. Eventually though, the jig was up. School district found out and we went to foster homes. We were all split up. While in there, our dad died of a heroin overdose. Obviously, it was beyond crushing. My brothers (we were split up) followed lives of crime. I joined Navy Intelligence but soon wanted more. The SEAL teams beckoned.

They were in and out of jail and I was doing well as a SEAL. I eventually got out and pursued a life in IT. Although they have straightened up, felonies aren't shaken easily and are attached to every job resume they submit. When we did try and talk there was (and is) an ass-ton of resentment over our separate paths. They used our dad's death as an excuse whereas I used it for fuel. Anyway, this should help highlight the utter significance of this car.

As far as working with them on this...not a chance. I am a planner. I am detailed. They just are not. It would cause more problems than help. My plan is to one day possess this car, in a finished state, and garage it. Then, start talking and eventually talk them into a vacation to help remedy our situation. They'll go for it. Then, when they show up at my house for the disembarkation, I will have the Great Unveiling and surprise them. It is years off but I cannot wait. The thought of it fuels me. I just have to push it and I haven't. Despite all that I just wrote, underneath their veneer of resentment, they really look up to me. Playing Freud for a bit, I think their acknowledgement of any success on my part is also an unstated acknowledgement of their failures. Hey man, it is what it is. I don't make the rules.

So there it is. This is waaaaay more than I ever intended to divulge however, lots of legitimate points and questions are arising and just thought I would stem the flow and let it out. That, my friends, is why this car illicits such great emotion in all of us and I believe, fairly certainly, that this plan of mine will do the trick. Nobody need feel sorry for me as we ALL have pains and drama. It is all a lesson to me on how to be a Father by what to do as well as what NOT to do. God bless you all for your help and consideration. Who'd have guessed such camaraderie on a station wagon site? (I mean that kindly).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I pray this works for you. Hate to see folks missing out on the benefits of being a family. Best wishes.

mike

9. Berean

Berean New Member

You have no idea.

10. finsrin

finsrin Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Beautiful Stang :wave:
    Checking local Craigs for a wagon.
    Best wishes.

11. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Yikes, Berean, you certainly have overcome alot of adversity in your life and clearly, the Fairlane wagon is a whole lot more significant than I imagined. One'll come along for you; just be patient and hang in.
    Thanks for sharing.

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Berean. Not to continue on the reasons why, but now you and others see why this station wagon forum is far more than a place to talk about a type of vehicle that has long been discontinued in it's original form. It's actually unexplainable, no matter how many of us try to come up with our own answers why we come here when we can.
    The original station wagon was a form of people mover just to get them from the station and the farm. Eventually it became a family people mover and I believe those family values continue today.
    Even if none of your brothers goes along with your dreams and plans don't give up on your own personal dream.
    I bought our first station wagons to haul three kids to the store and camping. Later I bought the 1955 Chevy wagon as a swap meet parts hauler. Sure insignificant compared to your reasons for owning the wagon you grew up with.

As for that old Mustang, our three kids outgrew my 65 fastback so I traded for a station wagon. I never missed it........ After all it was just an old car........... :cry::cry::cry::cry::mad:

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup, we all have our reasons.

I think I gravitated toward station wagons at an early age because my 'wagon dreams' were unfulfilled. Folks got their first Chevy Nova wagon when I was 14, and already a bit too big to be flopping around in the back as CARGO. I wanted to SIT in the way-back, and never got to. Now you know why I have a big wagon with a rear-facing third seat. (Still haven't sat back there on a drive, buy hey, it's MY wagon.....)

I'm sad for your childhood experiences, Jason. At least you were in San Clemente instead of say, Minnesota.

I grew up on the west side of L.A. and was in Orange County from '81 to '09.

Marshall

14. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Camaraderie, it truely is amazing for a bunch of people who have never, well most of us, meet.

Thanks for sharing your family story. Definitely was a struggle for all of you.

Well it sounds like you have your plan set so now all you need is this wagon to get the wheels(pum intended) in motion.

Hope your able to hang around and keep us up to date with your wagon find and resto...there is a link for that...

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

:)

15. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Now that you have determined that the car you're after is a base model 68 Fairlane wagon, I have a suggestion. It will be difficult if not impossible to find an exact twin to your wagon. As solid sheet metal and wagon specific parts can be difficult to come by, I suggest slightly different priorities than you might have if buying a more commonly seen classic or muscle car.
    First, the only exterior difference between a 68 and a 69 is a slight variation in the grille and the rear side marker lights. I think you should search for both 68 and 69 models. All the sheet metal is the same and the grille and side marker lights would be easy to change.
    Also, since the model you want is the base mode,l rather than a 500 with it's side trim, or a Torino Squire with it's wood grain trim, I think you should also be open to Fairlane 500 wagons as well as the Torino Squire wagons. You can always remove the excess trim and have a body shop weld up the trim mounting holes.
    If you were searching for a Mustang you might look for "numbers matching", specific engine/transmission combinations, etc. When shopping for a wagon, you need to be looking first for a solid body and preferably one that has not had leaks into the interior causing rust damage on the floor. That can be critical for a wagon, as with many wagons, reproduction window and door seals may not be available (don't know about the Fairlane). Another thing to look for is a solid tailgate. The window felts or window rubber for the retractable tailgate glass, often fails over time on vintage wagons. I don't know how rust prone the Fairlane tailgates are, but if you find one with a solid tailgate, you should consider yourself lucky. If you end up needing a replacement tailgate though, the tailgates are probably the same for all mid size Ford and Mercury wagons from 66-71 (as well as the tailgates for the 66-69 Falcon wagons).
    One more thing, Interior condition is seriously worth considering as well. Any missing interior pieces could mean a lot of searching of salvage yards for replacements. And while I'm on the subject, I don't know about the Fairlane, but my experience has always been that changing interior colors is a lot more difficult than changing exterior colors (usually due to painted surfaces on the dash) if you aren't doing a total ground up restoration.
    You can always do an engine swap, and build the wagon you want from any 68 or 69 Fairlane or Torino wagon, so don't limit your search to only 68 base Fairlane wagon models.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014