New Guy seeking Wagon Expertise

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Berean, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Berean

Berean New Member

Greetings everyone. My name is Jason and I currently live in Falls Church, VA. I hail from San Clemente, CA but through years in the Navy and a whole lotta moving, I ended up here...in Falls Church that is. I am former Navy SpecOps but currently I am a consultant Enterprise Architect / Systems Engineer. Started my own company developing apps for SEAL Team Six but gotta consult to get it off the ground. My former profession as a SEAL caused a huge wedge with many in my family, ideologically speaking. I, like most SpecOps, am deeply conservative while the rest of my California-based family...well...let's just say not-so-much for them. This wedge has widened significantly over the years, which is what--strangely enough--brings me here.

So, my situation may prove to be slightly different than most. I do not drive a wagon nor own one. What I am trying to do is find (and restore if necessary) the exact type of wagon my father used to own to cart us knuckleheads around in. He has since passed or I would just ask him but, as stated earlier, my brothers and I have drifted apart over the years and I feel that by finding 'this' car, restoring it, and driving cross-country with just the four of us for a couple of weeks might prove to be just the thing to re-congeal our brotherhood. We have all gone separate ways and frankly, we couldn't all be more different but our dad meant an awful lot to us and really, seems to be the only thing we all seem to have in common anymore. Lots of drama I won't get into but they are my brothers and I do love the bastards.

With all of that stated, I have attached the only picture of the now infamous car. I BELIEVE it is a 1969 Ford Fairlane wagon however, I am not totally sure. The tail lights are usually a give-away on any car (from the rear) but you all are the experts. I realize that this dream of mine is going to take some time. That is fine and frankly, I need the time but in the meanwhile, I surely need to know what kind of car to even look for. So, here are my questions:

1. What year, make and model is the car?
    2. Is it a "500" or not? How would one know?
    3. By the pic alone, is it stock? (I believe so).

I greatly, greatly appreciate, in advance, any and all help in this matter. This endeavor of mine will be an uphill battle on many fronts but I believe it will be worth it. Thanks again everyone.

P.S. For those who care, that is my father in the pic with my youngest brother atop the roof and my next younger toehead of a bro in the backseat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Berean! I really hope you find the wagon you're looking for!

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:That is a great and inspiring introduction. Good luck on your hunt and restoration. I can't think of a better reason to locate and fix up any car than to bring a family back together.
    I have only one brother who lives somewhere in BullHead City. He won't give me his phone number and last called last Christmas day. He and I are/were car guys. I can just see me going out there and taking him and his wife for a ride. I'm sure it would be fun, as taking your brothers for a trip will be.
    Again, good luck.
    Shortly the Ford guys will wake up and give you all the information you need.

4. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    O.K. Jason

AWWWW, Balderdash. Yeah doesn't hasta be in the Blue Oval camp tah recognize ah 1969 Phord Fairlane 500:taz: Type that in your search window Jason and see what comes up. Picture of one same color and positioned the same as the one with you and your dad in it. And thank You for your service from an old coot that proudly fought the Tijuana campagne and believe me sir, they were vanquished............... several times, UH-RAH, Jer

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You have quite a challenge there.
    Do you have any identification for the exact wagon, such as the vehicle identification number? Without it, you won't have any way to identify it.

Based on your picture, your dad's wagon could be either a '68 or a '69 Fairlane station wagon. These 2 years were virtually identical, except for the grill. I'll post a couple of pics of the fronts, one of each:

'68 grill, Fairlane / Fairlane 500:
    (Yeah, it's a Ranchero - same exact grill though)
    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/68ran/bilder/1.jpg

'69 grill. Fairlane / Fairlane 500:
    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/69tofa/bilder/9.jpg

I don't think it's a 'Fairlane 500' wagon because I'm not seeing a '500' next to the 'Fairlane' script on the quarter panels.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/69fw/bilder/5.jpg
    (Above)
    In this page from the '69 Ford Station Wagon brochure, you'll see picture (C) is a Fairlane wagon, and picture (E) is a Fairlane 500 wagon.

So, without seeing a pic of the grill, all I can tell you is that it's a '68 or '69 base Fairlane station wagon.

Good Luck with your search.

Marshall

6. Berean

Berean New Member

Thanks Marshall. The pic of the brochure about brought tears to my eyes. That is interesting to know about the "500". I did not know that there is badging for it. Sooooo...I guess that means it is NOT a 500.

You are right about the grill. Seeing that would likely have answered the question for me rather quickly. I did search the internet before coming to this forum but like you wrote, I cannot differentiate between the 68 or 69. And no, I do not have the VIN. That pic and a LOT of memories are all I or my brothers possess in regard to that car.

Thanks again for the brochure pic. Awesome.

7. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
  8. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard! Best of luck to you!

9. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Jason, I got to thinking about your plan.....

Have you discussed this with your siblings - are they 'all-in' on the plan?
    I get along fine with my siblings, but I know I wouldn't want to be crammed into a mid-size station wagon with them for 2 weeks.

Over the course of 15 years or so, we've had a couple of reunions with family members on the west coast. Some from California, some in Oregon. We rented a large vacation home at Lake Tahoe and had a blast. No one was cooped up doing something they didn't want to.

Just thinking that perhaps something like that at a neutral vacation spot might get better results. More time to sit and talk without the stresses of traffic, temperature and confining spaces. Also allows the spouses to get involved.

Marshall

10. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Berean.
    First and foremost, I want to thank you for your service to the country. I can tell you I feel a whole lot better knowing the Navy Seals are keeping us safe and free from harm. I understand the training to become a Seal is arduous, lengthy and one of the toughest to get through, so again, my heartfelt thanks for your dedication and sacrifice.
    Okay, onto the wagon.
    Your Dad's is a '68 Fairlane wagon as evidenced by the side marker lights. The '69's were square and the ones that are shaped like that were unique to the 1968. (Incidentally, 1968 was the first year all the manufacturers had to meet the new federal regualtions and install those side lights. 1967 was the last year that didn't have them.) I'm believe your's was a base Fairlane, due to the fact that there's no chrome around the doors or on the rocker panels. The 500's came with that trim. I'm not sure, but I think full wheel covers might have come with the 500 as well, with the "dog dish" hubcaps, as we call them, that are on there,being the standard on the base. Also, your tailgate window was not power; the chrome doo hickey in the center top of the tailgate is a manually operated crank. Probably the power tailgate window came standard on the 500.
    Now, from the picture, (although it is hard to see), I don't see an emblem badge on the front fender. Again, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe if it had the optional 289 V-8, it would have the emblem indicating that. I think it's a fair assumption that your's had the standard six cylinder.
    I hope that helps and by all means, keep us informed and up to date with your search. Good luck!!

Oops-slight correction and I hope another member can confirm or correct. I mentioned the 289 V-8; if I'm not mistaken, in '68, they offered the 302, no longer the 289.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  11. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Berean, welcome aboard from another member in northern Virginia. As others have said, the view from this angle identifies it as a 68 or 69 Fairlane wagon. The lack of side trim indicate that its a base line Fairlane wagon. To me, it appears to be a 68 rather than a 69. The 68 has the larger rear side marker lights while I believe the rear side marker lights on the 69 are rather small rectangles (almost square shaped).
    Good luck in your search, and good luck in your mission.
    Meanwhile, whether you have an old car or not, I hope you consider attending the local cruise ins at the Burger King in Manassas, Virginia on Saturday evenings (3:30pm till dusk}. Its the Burger King at RT 28 at Pennsylvania Ave right at the end of the RT 28 south exit off the RT 234 bypass (Prince William Parkway) near the Manassas Airport. You won't find your wagon there, but when the weather is nice (not too hot, not too cold and zero chance of rain), you'll find 80 to 120 classic cars of all makes. Many of the owners (myself included) not only share your interest in old cars, but also your conservative political views.

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I forgot to thank you for all of your service and bravory. :cheers:

I still like the idea. Brothers only. Don't need no stinkin spouses! They can preplan places to go and do. Plus where to stay over night. It might be fun and be a way to have a good time together.
    But my guess is there will be no way in :badwords::evilsmile:to find and restore the original Ford wagon. And really that shouldn't matter as long as the year and colors are the same. The original had a sprung hood, right rear bumper was bent inward, and the R was already missing from the rear F O R D on the tailgate, among other things already worn or missing. So it does not need to be perfect.
    Two up front and two in the second row seat is far from crowded.

I told you those Ford guys would wake up after their nap.

13. Berean

Berean New Member

I guess I need to add, for clarity sake, that although I wrote that I was trying to find the "exact one" I am not trying to find THE wagon my dad drove but a like wagon.

Mea culpa.

14. Berean

Berean New Member

Thanks Jim for the invite. Prior to moving here to Falls Church, I lived in Bay County, FL. It is a very conservative county (remember the hanging chads during the Gore / Bush run?) but more importantly, there is a deep love of classic cars. I had a BEAUTIFUL 1969 Mustang Mach I with the 351 Cleveland. It was cherry. Sold it before I moved up here. Sort of starting life over so I dumped most of my belongings. That one was a toughie to let go. I know its a station wagon forum but I posted a pic of Big Red so you can see. Anyway, next time I'm in town and your criteria are met, I will join you at the drive in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  15. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    'Big Red' is B-utiful! Why the '70 front end though?