New Girl with 88 Caprice Estate

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by aisllling, Feb 21, 2010.

1. aisllling

aisllling New Member

Hi,
    I am New to the site, with an exciting project in front of me. Single Mom, recently inheritated an 88 caprice estate wagon with new motor, and headliner that was kept in perfect condition. only real problem is age to some of the body that can deteriorate such as the rubber etc.and faded color, as the title says red, and the color looks brown. I am really looking forward to ideas on how to customize this baby and make her mine. I don't feal the need to restore to original, as I would really like to modernize her a bit, so any ideas would be appreciated. She is one beautiful car and with some TLC, could be something really speical.I don't have tons of money to work with, but I am determined to do the best I can for her. Me and my kids have never had a really sweet ride, as we have always kinda had to get around in older vehicles. We are certainly not snobby, and do not feel too good to make her our day to day ride just like she is, but since she is so unique, we think she deservers to really meet her potential. I would so much rather put some hard work into her, than to just go get some boring "brand new" car. I think my kids are pretty special too, because they were soooo excited when we brought her home. Instead of complaining and saying they refused to be seen in the car, they showed real excitment and appreciation.i am just hoping to really give them the gift of turning her into a really "Neat" ride. They have never been spoiled demanding kids, and have always been happy to settle for what we could afford, even when alot of the friends ride around in brand new mustangs and lexxus's etc. Now is a chance for me to show them how thankful I am that they have always been such amazingly cool kids by creating an amazingly cool car for them to ride in!
    Well, thats about all I have for right now, so Nice to meet everyone., and I will try to get some pictures up soon.!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, sling. I like those GM box wagons. Had a few myself and put 455 engines in them. They have class just as they are if they are loaded up. Most are. It would help to see some pix....we like pix.:camera: I probably can't help you in "modernizing" that wagon because I think they have class when brought back to original. Lots of guys here that may be able to help.

3. aisllling

aisllling New Member

thanks

Thanks, we sure will appreicate your help. You are right, it is pretty deluxe for sure as it is. The only real "modernizing" I am looking at will probably be adding maybe a dvd player in the dash, and maybe a gps for tripps. Other than that, not sure at all, was hoping for some good ideas on ways we can go.

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. The 1977-1990 GM B-body wagons (Caprice, Olds Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, and Pontiac Parisienne) are all basically the same. In fact, from the firewall back they are identical as to sheetmetal, rubber weatherstrip, glass, and chassis. The differences are the dashboard, upholstery, front sheetmetal, and engine. GM played mix-and-match with these cars. My 86 Caprice wagon came from the factory with a 307 Oldsmobile motor.

The rubber weatherstripping for the doors is available from reproduction houses. The hardest part to get is the outside rubber strip at the base of the tailgate window. The part is long discontinued by GM but some dealers still have them on the shelf. I bought one a year ago at my local GM dealer. This is an important weatherstrip to keep in good shape because when it gets hard and cracks, water gets inside the tailgate and corrodes the connector contacts for the power window motor and the power locks.

The other thing to be aware of is that these cars used the CCC (Computer Command Control) electronic Quadrajet carburetor. This system works great when properly maintained and adjusted, but most people don't want to take the time or follow the adjustment procedure in the service manual. The result is poor running and worse gas mileage. In addition, the CCC system has miles of rubber vacuum hose under the hood, and as they get old and crack, these leaks cause problems with the CCC system. If there is any question about the condition of the hoses, have them all replaced.

Good luck. These cars are very comfortable highway cruisers and my wife and I (along with the dogs) have driven on many long trips in ours.

5. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Glad you found the forums. It is neat that you are willing and able to do this with your children. If you can keep their enthusiasm up they'll learn lots of fun things. Faded paint can often be polished out with not much money but it does take a fair amount of elbow grease. You will be amazed at how different a car can look with the paint polished back out. You will also be amazed at how your arms and shoulders can say "what the heck did you just do to me?"

Pictures are a good thing. Particularly when you are asking about something specific - if you can show a picture of what you are asking about it helps the rest of us put things in to perspective and ensures we are all talking about the same thing.

So welcome aboard.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would like to see a few pix. I have a polish product that is unbelievable and it is a one step process that you use with an orbital buffer. Very easy and it will bring that car back beyond your wildest dreams. I haven't mentioned it here on the forum but your car sounds (red to brown) like a perfect candidate. Show some pix and if it's like I think it is I will PM you with info.

7. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Welcome and there is a lot you can do to make it yours.Even make it handle if you want. Glad to have you here.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thuis was actually one of the better models to come out of the 80s mess. generally speaking I always tell people to stay clear of US made 1980s cars. These years were of poor quality and always had issues right off the factory.

We have come along way since 1988 and US makers have gotton better about quality.

Since somewhere along the line you have one of the better cars from that era with a rebuilt motor. quality issues have flown out the window. Lots of room in you Caprice, so youll enjoy it.

9. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

It surely sounds like whoever left you the wagon knew very well what they were doing to make certain it was going to a family that would love and cherish it. What new motor does it have? I join the others in saying my first suggestion would be to get a good cleaner wax, all the kids, and shine that baby up. Of course, if the paint is too far gone, there's no point to that, but if it isn't, you'll be amazed what a difference it makes. Does it have wood on the side, because if it does, the wax job is about ten times easier and considerably less labor intensive because you don't have to wax it. We had a discussion not too long ago here on the forum and as I recall, the general conclusion was that Lemon Pledge is one of the best applications to get the wood trim looking great. Try to post some pictures; I'm dying to see it and find out what kind of shape it's in. congratulations.
    Oh, one last thing. You should have a family meeting with all the kids and give it a name; after all it is a cherished family member now and needs to have its own identity!! Best of luck with it.

10. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. Feel free tocheck out my build thread of my Olds Custom Cruiser which is also a B-Body Box wagon. Just the noses are different. If you can let us know more about your wagon so we can help you more.

11. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Welcome aisllling! :Welcome:

I think it is great that you are fixing up your new wagon for your family!

You will find lots of help on this great forum!

David :)

12. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard. :Welcome:

The Stickman is a master at understatement. He and his wife have done some incredible mods to their wagons, so make sure you check out his threads.:bowdown:

If you're going to add a DVD and GPS to it, you'll want to have a look at this website. Lots of electrical circuit info for the 80's wagons for wiring in sound systems and GPS.

http://www.the12volt.com/

You also said that the title says 'Red', but the car looks brownish. Was it repainted or has the paint discolored?

13. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Norm she said it was discolored so it must have been a dark red.

14. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    GM paint could get that bad? Didn't know that.

15. aisllling

aisllling New Member

Wow,l thanks for all the responses! I will get some pics up as soon as I get a chance! It does have wood, btw. I would love to get more info on the buffer.... Yeah we are working on a name, so far its just the woodie lol, but thats just a way to refer to her, so she deserves a real classy name. I will leave that to the kids, as they always come up with the best ideas! I was told by my boss, that back in the days, they used wagons as ambulances. (I work for fire rescue...so I get all kinds of tidbits about the old days). He said they would just pull up to a scene and load up the victims, then haul them to the hospital. No one was really trained, and of course no lifesaving equipment on board. Things sure have changed, but I sure can see why they were chosen, with all the room inside!