New from NC

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by irace2win41, Nov 2, 2010.

1. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

Just a quick hi from Salisbury NC. Planning on learning from those that have been around awhile. I'm new to the wagon scene and am currently looking for a driver anywhere from early 60's to late 70's. Currently building a Harley Sportster Cafe Racer and am looking to build a daily driver that can pull the open trailer and fit a lot of gear.

I probably won't be posting much and will be watching and learning from those a lot smarter than I am.

I'm a retired Air Force officer and have been involved racing SCCA production cars for some time. Love motorcycles, hot rods, and aircraft. Want a station wagon that I can lower, custom wheels, update interior, quick paint and drive to enjoy.

Rod

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the forum...I'm sure you will make friends quickly you already believe they are smarter then you :rofl2:

3. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

Thanks, but they really are smarter....just ask my ex wife!! :rofl:

4. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:to the madhouse.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, irace. You won't be watching long.:rofl2:

6. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

The hard part is next...what do I really want? Looked at a lot of cars and am leaning towards a 59-63 Chevrolet. But that could, and probably will, change ten minutes from now!

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I think your idea of using any wagon you buy to pull a trailer for your other hobbies is a great idea as your wagon would be both useful and a hobby itself.

But, I would also consider safety. You mentioned earlier looking for anything from the early '60 to the late '70s, but cars from the latter part of that era would be much better in terms of brake systems and built-in crash protection. I shudder to think about trying to stop a car pulling a trailer if I've got drum brakes on all four wheels, something that was pretty much universal in cars until the mid-to-late '60s. Unless you want to do a disc brake conversion, but that's extra cost and work. Also, it wasn't until the mid-60s that dual brake systems became common. Again, you can convert a single brake system, but that's more time and money.

If it were me, I think a nice, loaded, late-70s full-size wagon from any of the Big Three would do you just fine. It would be comfortable, reasonably modern, and would pull a trailer just fine.

I've attached some thumbnails of a car that would be just perfect for you. It's a 26,000 mile, 1976 Chrylser Town and Country that looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday. It was for sale last May at the Springfield Swap Meet in Springfield, Ohio. He doesnt' say it in the sign, but he was asking $5,000. Heck, maybe he still has the car for sale.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. teej

teej Well-Known Member

Welcome from sunny FL. And I'll echo some of what Jaunty said. There are a lot of choices when it comes to wagons and it can be hard to narrow down what you want. But if you are looking for a tow vehicle, good brakes and suspension are imperative. It can cost a pretty penny to convert an older model to modern hardware.

But on the other hand, if you have a look you want, you can make it work. My '58 is kind of a PITA for some things, but I wouldn't trade it.

The hardest part after the decision will be patience. (And dealing with the station wagon crowd..Ha..)

9. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

Great comments. If I really didn't want to change much that would work. But, I'm an old hot rodder and will upgrade the brake systems and mechanicals first. The whole trailer and Harley only weigh 700lbs. So it's not a lot of weight. Of course, if I want to pull a small travel trailer that's a different matter.

I have in my mind what I'm looking for. I've been known to be a bit impatient in the past so am really trying to wait for the right car at the right price. :eek:

Like everyone else I'm looking for a pristine 60's wagon, low miles, already had a few upgrades, sits right, and at a "I can't pass that up" price!! :rofl2:

In the real world I'm looking for something as rust free as I can find and running and driving. That way I can work on it as I go. I just sold all my hot rod projects so don't want to get in too deep yet.....

Rod

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Hey, all you gotta do is ask! I'm not sure that these all feature "can't pass up" prices, but they're all swell looking '60s Chevy wagons, and all were for sale at that same car corral in Springfield last May.

I bet any one of these would work for you.

First up is a '68 Bel Air wagon. 83,000 miles. Asking $8,500. Originally from Texas.

Attached Files:

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Next is a '69 Brookwood. No price given. Has a '67 engine, '72 heads, and a '68 Muncie 4-speed with a Hurst shifter.

Attached Files:

12. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Third is a '66 Caprice. Sky-high price of $17,500, but apparently already prepped for the drag strip, at least if you go by the rear license plate.

Attached Files:

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Finally, you want something lowered? Here's a nice-looking '62 Bel Air. Again, no price listed, but maybe worth a call.

Attached Files:

14. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

You're killing me...those Bel Air Chevys are really nice and about what I have pictured in my mind. Have to do some rearranging in my shop and then look out...........

Some of these guys have been watching way too much Barrett Jackson..

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:
    good luck with the hunt