My Official 1992 Roadmaster Thread

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 1tireman, Mar 24, 2014.

1. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gots me some cold A/C! Electricity went off here at the shop and nobody could do anything with everything down
    so pulled it in the shop and changed control head. Loaded a couple people up and we went and tested it out!

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Cool...... or should I say cold(y)

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Since when does electricity affect wrenches. Seems like in this "modern" age no one is trained on how to do manual backup.

Frequently power goes out around here. It never fails that I stop by the local gas station when it does to get a sandwich or some smokes. They don't block the pumps off and they won't sell you anything. It's not like they couldn't get out a piece of paper and write down what they sell and ring it up when the power comes back on. Instead, they just have a bunch of PO'd customers who have been inconvenienced unnecessarily.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    So it takes an act of God or Mother Nature to get your AC fixed? We had some power outages here to. Mostly though when it rains more than 10 drops per minute the internet goes off. I tried two tin cans on a string but my neighbor a mile away never answered his email.
    I remember once going to Ding Dong Bell for tacos and without power all they could do was stare into space. They had food on the grilles but couldn't figure out how much a taco cost. :oops:
    And those fancy air tools in the shops can't go Rrrrrrrr without electricity!:slap:

5. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:

You are absolutely right Old Fox but you know corporate America today. You don't handwrite Repair Orders anymore, no catalogs for parts so the ones that could work with what they had did but that was only 2 of 9 techs. Oil dispenser was out so this modern way may have advantages but the other way kept you working. I get laughed at by management because I have to keep track of all jobs in shop and I don't use a route sheet. I use a notebook I put 3 columns in. 1 for RO, 1 for notes and last for tech number. It automatically goes on a Service Daily Log on computer but when power is out, then what? So my old method helps. It also helps keep more precise logs of job because job may be finished but accounting may not have closed the ticket but I cross it off my list when tech comes to get another job from me. So you won't get any argument out of me about the old way! New way has advantages when everything is working right but in a case like today, I was the only one who could tell anyone about what was going on with the jobs.:D But glad not everyone writes for back up files, I may not have A/C today! :rofl2:

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I may not have A/C today! :rofl2:

If it's as chilly there as here you don't need that stinkin AC now!

7. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I have gotten too fat not to have a/c!

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    It's been 50 degrees here the past two mornings. Even those fat manatees are shivering.

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

It's gotten down into the 40's here. My little Chia Hua Hua has got a case of the shivers.

10. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    We have had the nice lower 50's in the mornings but 80's in the afternoons so a/c has been nice. Nothing done on either wagon this weekend beside a little cleaning on RM. Did get the family out in it to a cruise in Orange Grove, Mississippi. It was about a hour ride each way but it was a nice ride. It was a small cruise in with only about 12 cars but nice change to go someplace different.
    I can't get out of my own tracks today, got home last night about 9:30 to phone call from my mom. Every summer I have to watch 1tiredad, he works himself too hard and gets dehydrated. Then he gets cramps bad enough in his legs that make him pass out. Coupletimes had to get ambulance to get him off floor but I got him to ER before he got to that point last night luckily so sat there until 2 or 3 am for them to put a bag of fluid in him! They were amazed he is going to be 70 in December and is on no medications and is healthy as a ox. His only issue is he weighs 145lbs and dehydrates in the summer easy but I been checking on him today and he seems good since the fluids. One of the reasons I am glad they live next door to me and can get to him quickly.

11. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I guess I share that with him. I haven't been to a doctor since 2006. He needs to eat more bananas for the potassium. It helps with the leg cramps. I sweat profusely whenever the temp gets above 70 degrees, and I only pee once or twice a day. Below 70, it seems like I have to pee every time I stand up. Several years ago, I started pouring a quart bottle of Gatorade G2 into a one gallon container and filling the rest up with water. During the summer, that's all I drink except for 1 Pepsi at supper. It keeps your system flushed out and provides the trace nutrients you require.

When I has a young child, I used to have severe leg cramps every nite. So much that I couldn't sleep. My old timey country doctor said I needed to have my tonsils removed, which was done. From that day forward, the cramps disappeared. Every doctor I've talked to since has no explanation why that worked and none of them had ever heard of it before......but it worked.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We drink lots of unsweetened iced tea. After I got new heavy duty hips I started getting fluid in my feet then ankles. Just thought I was getting fat until almost too late. Ended up in ICU with heart failure. Somehow even though doc said I had permanent heart damage and it was only pumping 20% I went home with a normal heart with no damage. I always knew I was normal.:lolup:
    For four years I take a water pill every morning except when we go away. I make many trips to the bathroom till around 1PM then I am normal again. Get up once at nite. No more leg cramps or swelling. But I am lazy with no ambition to get off my butt. So here I sit.
    I do eat a banana now and then. Good for potassium. Said I'd never take pills. I take 2 BP, a water pill, a baby aspirin, and a potassium pill. But I'm still lookin at the green side of the grass........which needs mowed!:oops:
    Tell 1tiredad to take it easy and have a beer. How's the wagon?

13. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I used to drink a lot of sweet tea when I was thirsty, and got terrible cramps in my hands and legs. I started drinking either Gatorade, or PowerAde, and I no longer have issues with cramping. It also replaces the water lost in sweating. I can work for 4-5 hours in the Florida sun, and feel fine (I am 65). I usually consume about a pint to a quart an hour depending on how active I am. I usually eat a moderate meal before going to the yard, and have enough fat reserves to hold me over until I leave.

Drink it cool or warm, but not ice cold. The ice cold will shock your system, and make you sleepy (learned that from an old railroad worker).

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Drink it cool or warm, but not ice cold. The ice cold will shock your system, and make you sleepy (learned that from an old railroad worker). __________________

I knew lots of old RR workers. They never told me that!:confused::pub:

We drink lots of UNsweetened iced tea. It is in a large Daytona car show insulated cup filled with ice cubes. When the ice melts my wife adds more.
    No wonder I fall out of my computer chair sound asleep!:drink:

15. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I drink a lot of sweet tea. I use 1 cup of sugar to 3 quarts so not as sweet as most restaurant sweet tea. You have to be over 55 to drink unsweet tea so I still got about 14 years! :rofl2: