My experience re-graining my T&C woodgrain

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by fasteddie, Oct 31, 2017.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thought I would share my experience. I can actually add something to the forum. I usually just take.

My vinyl was toast. Stripped it off when we painted the car. Not easy. Had to use specialized stripper.

NOTE: I very wisely shot tons of pics of all the corners and edges everywhere so the installer knew where to cut and overlap on the reinstall.

It tried like crazy to get one of my wrap vendors (I've wrapped 1000's of trucks over the years), but none could make the woodgrain right. Went through the 3m DiNoc catalog. Nothing was right for a car. Looked at a dozen live samples. Nothing was right.

Best bet was the Stripe Man in Jacksonville http://www.stripeman.com/woodgrain-kits/. Went with basic 3m Mylar film. Cost me maybe 700$. I bought a lot extra to ensure every piece was whole.

Hired an installer from a local wrap shop. There are lots of them around. Way too tricky to try yourself. Cost me $200 and a $25 dollar tip and they came to my shop.

In the end, looks fantastic. A tad shinier than I would have liked but the color and pattern is perfect. They sanded the new paint work first otherwise every single minuscule imperfection is exaggerated.

I sent all the beltline moldings to a guy in Palm Coast FL. victor Gomez was his name. 15$ a foot and it came back looking absolutely perfect and as bright and shiney as chrome. Not cheap at $900 but I could have never come close. Now it looks showroom new. It is not all on yet. Still have to buff a few spots of paint. All the black work I did myself and non beltline chrome I had rechromed.

Interior is out now being redone. I will finish it this winter and be cruising around in my boat next summer.

IMG_1596.JPG IMG_1597.JPG

Grizz and Poison_Ivy like this.
  2. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

:clap::clap:What a beauty!!!
    More pictures of your work we really love this stuff.

3. 7tvista

7tvista Member

Really nice!

4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congrats, nice job, this had to be a serious decision, because once you start there is no going back.
    I admire your courage.

5. fasteddie

Wagon Garage:
    Easy. Just needed a pen. All done now. Interior too. Have the engine bay and undercarriage to go. Next winter.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Don't worry about the shine. I think it's perfect. I hadn't seen this thread before, so I commend you on getting the job done.

7. fasteddie

Wagon Garage:
    I posted some pics. Never did before. Here is how it came out.

Grizz and MAK like this.
  8. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gorgeous!
    nicely done!

9. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Wow the wagon looks great!!!

10. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    DSCN4957.JPG DSCN4950.JPG WOW! That looks great! Did you do the interior, or did you farm it out? Been thinking of doing my front seat in my 65 olds vista cruiser. If you had it done by someone, mind me asking who did it? I live about 75 miles south of Buffalo. Your longroof looks excellent. Thanks for pics. .....Longroofs Rule!

11. fasteddie

Wagon Garage:
    Farmed out the front seat, headliner, door cards and seatback carpet. All in was about 2k in labor. Found a guy in the buf area. Very good work. Did a very good job. Should have handed him the carpet too for the third seat work needed. I have a 1960 Fury I am going to give him to redo the entire interior. PM me if you want his name and number.

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I think, the shine looks good. A decent wood finish shines also. Imitating wood is the idea. Isn't it? So, why not. The shine will eventually dull out, anyway

13. fasteddie

Wagon Garage:
    3M mylar takes a good five years in the sun to see it start to dull. I would take 500 years at 5 days a year outside for this to dull! It is not bad, it is just noticeable to some one used to wagons that the gloss is beyond just wax. If I could have had the film made at one of my vendors I could have specified no film or even satin which would have been closer. Next time I will ask for a satin finish. Some of the films they can do that.