My 1967 Ford Country Sedan

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by winged one, Jul 21, 2012.

1. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think this will be an excellent place to document my restoration of my 1967 Ford Country Sedan. I purchased the car a week and a half ago. It was originally from Missouri, but was purchased by the last owner (in 2002) who lives in Massachusettes.

The documentation that came with the car indicated that it was solid when he got it. It has not been a kind 10 years. The frame rails and pans are solid, but the rear passenger fender has some rot, especially around the infamous tire well.

The car was originally poopy brown, but the Mass owner had it repainted by MAACO to silver. He paid about $1800 for the paint, and they painted EVERYTHING. So at least he got his money worth in paint. But its done, and I want something else anyway.

The interior is Parchment. And someone along the way added leopard skin to the back side panels and to the panels between the front and back seats. And the seats have been recovered in cloth that is very dirty.

The good is that it is a 390 car, c6, 3.00 rear, air conditioning (that works), power rear window, roof rack (needs parts replaced), and jump seats (very cool).

138-3827_img.jpg

138-3835_img.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    BillT likes this.
  2. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    Oh yeah, the front door panels were cut in half (yeah, I know) and a 1/2 inch thick board was put at the bottom. Why? To mount speakers in of course. LOL

The car has a verrrrry nice stereo in it, along with an amp and mighty speakers. Now, thump thump, is not my style. But I did not want another show car, I wanted a fun driver and the stereo will be great for that.

But not at the expense of the front door panels!!

3. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    Step 2, what am I going to do with this car?

Well, I have been buying parts like crazy, though Ebay is drying up. I did get an NOS fender, but the 3 separate pieces (I got the part numbers manual, big help) that make up the spare tire well are just not around. At least 2 of them. One I think is available online and will try to order it on Monday. Or, Mike (my body guy, what you think I have any talent??) will have to make something.

I got a rechromed rear bumper (with steps!) off ebay and its beautiful. My wife thinks the front bumper is skewed, so I need to find a rechromed one for the front too.

Got some other trim pieces, trying to not break the bank. The car has both the bottom trim and the mid line trim, which makes it pretty, but expensive. It's in mostly good shape, but could be better. Haven't even had a chance to see what my polishing can do.

I don't want to make it into a show car, but I do want it to look nice. Just like we all do.

Then came my finest bit of luck in probably the last 20 years.

4. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    I found another 67, this time in Michigan. A ranch wagon, blue with PARCHMENT interior. The car sat in a shed since 1975 and has been owned by the same family since new.

Because it was in a shed, the interior is great. The dash doesn't have a crack in it (the silver car dash pad is totally shot). The door panels are without a nick or incorrect hole. The cargo panels are excellent. The seats are not cracked or holed.

Now its not perfect. The hard plastic parts need repainting.

But the arm rests are excellent (3 don't even need repainting). The steering wheel is without cracks. It's just a joy. And for only $1300.

Anyone who has tried to get parts for a 67 Ford fullsize wagon or Galaxie, know how little is available in repop (and much of it crap). This was a gold mine.

The exterior is toast though. Probably heading to the crusher, unless someone should dare to want what is left (shell).

5. BPinsent

BPinsent Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great to have another full size '67 here, my Ranch Wagon has the same interior. I think the only thing that it needs is the seat belt retractor covers.
    The Georgia heat and sun did mine no favours.
    Look forward to getting updates.

If the weather co-operates we hope to take it to Woodward next month.

6. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Awesome parts car find. I just helped a buddy pick up a 66 Country Squire in Ga today. I'm going to post a thread about it in a little bit.

7. BPinsent

Wagon Garage:
    Does it have a power rear window? I am looking for the trim piece that is on the tailgate around the key cylinder for the tailgate.

thanks

8. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    Cool, I just love the '67s. To me they are just so cool looking. Sporty, but big.

I may have some retractors, but they will need painting if your interested.

If you are going to restore your interior pieces, how do you plan to do it?

Oh, and it does have the power rear, but there is just the keyhole on this ranch. I need a new trim piece on my Country Sedan too. It's not broken, but the color is all gone.

9. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    Excellent. Thanks!

10. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    The ranch parts car.

138-3866_img.jpg

What happens when a car sits in a shed for nearly 40 years.

138-3874_img.jpg

138-3875_img.jpg

Passenger rear door:

138-3873_img.jpg
    Then of course there are the wasps (one got me). But overall the experience has been very good.

Another blessing was with all these mice, I hooked up a battery and the power rear window still worked (from the key). Whew, dodged a hell of a bullet there.

11. BPinsent

Wagon Garage:
    My interior has been totally retsored by the previous owner, everything that is except the retractors. I have one that is black so I will get some SEM product that is the proper colour and do it.

12. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very cool wagon. Shame the silver doesn't work for you. Not a big fan of silver cars generally, but I think it really works on the wagon.

I'm in Michigan (Howell area, how about you?) as well working on a '67 Mercury full-size Commuter and can completely sympathize with the lack of parts. I probably see a hundred Ford Wagon parts for every Commuter/Colony Park specific part, and have only seen two other '67 Commuters. Both by Goggle searches. One on YouTube, the other a show car.

Anyhow, glad to see another '67. I think they have great lines.

Please post some pics when you get a chance.

13. winged one

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, I am near Charlotte. Not that far from you.

I was hoping for a blue. I have wanted a blue car for a long time and it just has not happened. Problem is making it work with the parchment interior. I saw this blue car and fell in love:

blue_galaxie.jpg

14. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Can't blame a guy for wanting what he wants. The blue is very cool and would look good on the wagon as well. The nice thing about a parchment interior is it will look good with pretty much any color paint since it is a neutral color.

By the way, are you looking at selling parts off of your parts wagon? If so, I might be interested in some glass. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Paul

15. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

There are 2 factory Ford blues that work spectacularly well with the parchment interior. B5 (Bright Blue Metallic) and HB5 (Fire Blue Metallic). The HB5 is a really neat colour. Both were factory Ford colours in the late 60s.