Mornin everybody.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Maindrian Pace, Jun 21, 2008.

1. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

I missed it too! I love it! :rofl:

MP, you did this Comet up just right!
    The choices you made...the color, the whitewall/wheel combo, and the black & white interior are really great! Oh, and that 289!

I can see why this beauty attracts lots of attention! LOVE IT! :thumbs2:

David :)

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mr. Maindrian Pace is apparently gone...........for a lot longer than 60 seconds.

3. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

No way, Krash! MP's on here right now! :29:

David :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

4. Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace Back in five.

Wagon Garage:
    Gimme a break, I had a huge order to fill, and running from the cops in SoCal is tricky with a yellow '73 Mach 1 that's as subtle as a billboard. But it all worked out fine in the end, thank goodness for happy coincidences at car washes.

Anyway, glad it's over with.

Thanks for the nice comments on the Comwag, it's undergone a few minor alterations since our last installment here 1.5 years ago.

I had to replace the Coker lowrider series bias ply tires because they were all out of round and the car would shake, rattle, & roll at anything above 60. I got a set of 175/70/14 whitewalls from Goody's Speed Shop, the tires are very hard to find and they get them in regularly. 14" rubber is almost extinct, so I bought a couple spares too. Runs smooth to 90 now, so road trips are a bunch more fun. I actually like the look of the Hankooks better than the bias plys because they have a thinner whitewall and look more like period "pinner whites" on the Supremes.

[​IMG]

Next, I found a totally cool clear distributor cap for a small block Ford at a swap meet. If that doesn't stay true to the vibe of the car, what does? At the same time, I replaced the troublesome Autolite 4100 carb with a brand new Holley 570 Street Avenger, which has got to be the best carb I've ever had. Runs like Fuel injection, and made the car noticably quicker - mainly because it's not dripping raw gas into the intake.

[​IMG]

Then, I convinced a buddy to trade me his spiff mint condition 1965-66 Sun tach, and installed it on a custom bracket so as not to drill the dash:

[​IMG]

Then, feeling the '60s energy, I had a biker buddy come over and flake the roof. I turned the garage into a Visqueen palace, and turned him loose:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buried in clear:

[​IMG]

Cut and buff:

[​IMG]

Mmmmm. Flaky.

[​IMG]

A few weeks later, he returned to add some cool pin striping to the roof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really finishes the car, IMO.

All this was done last November, just in time for me to detail it a bit and enter it in the Goodguys Southwest show in Scottsdale at Westworld, a venue that is world famous for also being the home of Barrett-Jackson.

[​IMG]

The '55 Chevy guy next to me wasn't happy because my car got lots more attention that his. People love unusual stuff, especially at that show.

Hey, I didn't go anywhere, I was just in lurk mode.

-MP

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, MP - glad you're still lurking around.
    Talking about the rarity of that 60 Comet 2-door, now that you mention it, i don't recall ever seeing one. Falcons- not rare. Any idea on the production figures for them?

Nice 60-period touches on the wagon.

I'm a bit of a fan of the original 'Gone' movie. Was living in the SoCal South Bay where it was filmed at the time. Knew where Hallicki's yard was on Vermont in Gardena.

6. Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace Back in five.

Wagon Garage:
    I've heard both 1,200 and 5,000 for the 1960 2 dr wagon, I don't know which one to believe but it could be 5K total with 1,200 deluxe models. 18,000 4dr wagons were made that year, and 116,000 total 1960 Comets.

It's the only one I've ever seen in the flesh, but I've seen several '61-'63 Comet 2dr wagons.

I was cooped up in Boston in '73, which was fun in its' own way but I know where I would have rather been, and it wasn't dealing with bitter cold winters. I don't have to anymore, though!

-MP

7. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage: