Mornin everybody.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Maindrian Pace, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace Back in five.

Wagon Garage:
    I found this forum through a series of links following the now famous LS1 Family Truckster build. Great forum, had no idea it was out there, and I'm even a long roof fan. I'm a mod on a Falcon forum, member of several others, but my wagon has not been seen by many just yet.

It's a 1960 Comet 2dr wagon, the only one I've ever seen in 25 years of playing with Falcons and Comets. I found it in the local paper in 1988, bought it for $175, and dragged it home, where it sat for nearly 19 years before I finally got around to it. Long story, very Shakesperean, full of comedy and tragedy, but mostly frosty beverages in the shop fridge to keep my mind focused on the comedy.

The plan changed about every five years or so, bouncing around from this to that, but the lowered mid '60s mild custom look won out in the end, and was a great excuse for shiny black paint and a flaked silver roof. Out went the tired bolt-action six banger, and in went a rebuilt 289, C4, 8" rear, and V8 front suspension/steering with disc brakes. Wheels and tires are Astro Supremes with Coker 5.20-14 bias ply whitewalls for the vintage look. Black and white vinyl interior with silver piping and fancier trim pieces from later model versions finished it off. I'm having fun with it, my friends never thought they would see the day when it ran again, and it attracts more attention on the road and at shows than any other car I have ever owned. It's fun watching it vaccuum the people away from all the '57 Chevies, '40 Fords, scads of early Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles, etc at every show we rumble into. People bypass the commonly seen cars because they have seen them all before, and they like seeing uncommon dare-to-be-different cars. Most wagons fall into this category, great attention getters.

-MP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There's our Grand Daddy, Andy! :rofl2:

MP, that's one great looking Comet. Andy, Peg legs, TBIRD and I own Fox-bodied Fairmonts and TBIRD owns a beautiful Fox-bodied 1982 Cougar Wagon. some say they came from the Fairlane, but most argue that the Falcon/Comet was the template for these small wagons. Nice work and glad to have you. :Welcome:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Maindrian Pace

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the welcome, Norman. I'm no stranger to the Fox cars either, this one is in my shop now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A '78 Fairmont ultra-plain jane box top 2dr sedan with a total of three options - 6cyl engine, automatic trans, and cloth seats. Nothing else, the plainest Fairmont I have ever seen. It also has 9,100 original miles on it, that's no typo - 9,100 miles. Original right down to the tires. I bought it to make a full-on blown 5.0/five speed sleeper out of it, but you know the old story - it was just too nice to hot rod so I found another project. I'm detailing it right now, and unfortunately, I have too many cars so a few must go, including this one.

I'm also the original owner of a teal '93 Cobra, and my daily driver is a '92 5.0 LX coupe with an AOD, totally stock. I've also owned, in the past, a '79 302 Fairmont Squire wagon, silver with red interior and loaded, and an '81 Fairmont Durango pickup - the one with the flimsy fiberglass bed that was more a decoration than anything else. Neat ride, though.

The Fox platform actually superceded the Falcon platform, the last Falcon-based cars were the Maverick and the '80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles, that platform lasted a long time. The last Fox was the '04 Mustang, so that one had a long run too. I like my Foxes, nice size cars, fun to drive, and that engine bay can swallow up anything you can name for some good old-fashioned gas guzzling fun, though these days I tend to drive for mileage...

-MP

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Life is like a box of chocolates... WOW! Dumbfounded! 9,100 miles! What part of the world are you from? Son of a seadog! Heck, not even a Radio option. You're probably one of the last remaining Farimont owners with a blank cover over the radio spot, and no antenna!

Great taste in cars!

5. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

What a Sweet Comet. Welcome to our forums....

I think Norman is in Love.:biglaugh:

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Andy's gonna see those fenders and that radio cover and choke up! Both of his Fairmont wagons have stock AM radios, but he never turns them on. And he's on a mission for new fenders for his recently pranged Canuck wagon. A car like that could almost sway him to a sedan version too.

7. Roadking41A

Norman you better take him a drool towel over there and prepare him.:rofl2:

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You should see his latest wagon that we picked up! Most 3-year old trade-ins don't look that good on the inside, and darn few of them are as rust-free as it is.

When he sees that one, he'll flip! I haven't got enough towels. :rofl2:

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't know the hood ornament only came with certain trim packages. Now that's a very basic car.

MP do the hood a HUGE favour and get the 1979 or later hood support and cable release setup. Every one I've seen of the 1978 hoods has buckled halfway up the hood. Take all the hardware from under the column, to the hood release in behind the grille.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  10. Roadking41A

Norman quick go over to Andy's and take his computer away.:rofl2:

11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

:eek3: gagagagblhththtlat!!!!!!!!!
    You make me sick. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

12. Roadking41A

Dang we're too late.:banghead3:

13. Maindrian Pace

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Roadking, nice place you guys got here. Norman, here's a few pics of the delete plates for Andy.

[​IMG]

Note the lack of a cigarette lighter - that was optional!

[​IMG]

I kinda like the external hood release, brings me back to the old car days when everything was like that. I never knew there was a hood brace on the '79 and up cars, I would do the internal release if I kept the car but since it's going down the road, it will remain bone stock and original - in case there are folks out there who collect these cars. You never know!

I'm in hot dry Mesa, Arizona. I wish you guys were closer, I can go to a dozen local boneyards right now and get scads of rust free Fairmont fenders and parts, they usually get crushed whole because not much local market for the parts. Wrapping and shipping would be pricey, but an idea: Lots and Lots of older Canadians come down here for the winter, they have houses, trailers, and apartments. If you can find some locals who do that, give me a list of what you need and maybe they can bring the parts back up to you guys. Keeps it nice and affordable that way.

-MP

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You have no mercy, MP! :cry:

Rubbing it in like that. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know one guy with a home down there, but he's a billionaire, and I doubt he'd stop here on his way to Canada's West coast. :dancing:

Andy, we gotta get a water injector to work on one of our sixes, and get down there.

So you've already sold the 'Mont?

15. Roadking41A

Hey Pick me up along the way :rofl2: