Looking for a 1964 Plymouth Wagon model

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by OrthmannJ, Apr 12, 2013.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hey all, I have been looking for a scale model of a 1964 Plymouth Fury/Belvedere wagon. I think the Holy Grail would be a diecast, but doubt such a thing exists. I have seen a resin kit online, but it appeared to be discontinued. I've never built a resin model before, but for this one I'd be up for it. Anyone have any input or ideas? Thanks.

2. Termite Free Woodie

Termite Free Woodie New Member

If you don't mind a lot of kit bashing with other plastic johan model kits and old Mopar wagon promo bodies. Though a lot of work you could possibly start with the Johan Petty stocker 64 Plymouth as a base. ??:banana:

3. OrthmannJ

I've done some kitbashing before. I built a 1997 Ford crew cab dually out of a 89 super cab and 95 F-150 Lighting kit. It turned out alright. I have pondered the idea. I would rather find a complete wagon kit though.

4. OrthmannJ

5. Termite Free Woodie

Termite Free Woodie New Member

Too bad it was discontinued, From the angle shown it looks like a pretty good version.

6. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

R&R Resin is the maker of that 64 Plymouth wagon kit. You might try contacting them directly. They probably make small production runs every once in a while.
    http://resinrealm.net/GALLERIES/RRGallery/

They make an amazing number of 50's and 60's station wagon bodies in 1/25 scale that were never offered in any scale by anyone else. Just looking at 1964 alone, they show kits for Dodge and Plymouth wagons, Galaxie and Fairlane wagons, Impala and Chevelle wagons, a 64 Comet wagon and a 64 Vista Cruiser wagon. Thats pretty amazing that they offer so many wagon choices from the late 40's to about 1970.

Meanwhile, if anyone else is looking for additional selections of resin station wagon models, many other manufactures are linked from this site
    http://www.socalcarculture.com/modelcarlinks.html
    I didn't find any other 64 Plymouth wagons, but Modelhaus, Jimmy Flintstone, and RMR are just a few that offer some very hard to find wagon kits.

If you strike out on the 64 Plymouth wagon with R&R Resin, then get one of their other 63 -65 Plymouth or Dodge wagons and kit-bash the front clip from a JoHan or Lindberg 1/25 scale 64 Plymouth coupe model.

Heres one more link. http://www.scalewagon.com/
    Its a website dedicated to scale model station wagons. Their Model List (which isn't complete) shows the 64 Plymouth wagon as being by R&R Vacuum Craft rather than R&R Resin. Its probably the same company. A websearch shows R&R Vacuum Craft to be in Flint, Michigan.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. OrthmannJ

I checked out their site. I think I'll email them and see what kind of response I get.
    I see that the 64 Plymouth kit has the body, seats and tub, but no windows.
    The 64 Dodge kit has windows. Weird.

8. Jim 68cuda

The 65 Plymouth Belvedere wagon kit appears to have better detail on the tailgate. Of course for a 64 Fury, you'll be adding a strip of plastic and covering it with chrome foil to simulate the trim on your tailgate, and that would hide the missing character line in the tailgate anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. OrthmannJ

It's kind of odd. The 63 and older kits have chrome, grille, bumpers, windows etc. The 64 has nothing.

10. Jim 68cuda

Frequently resin kits like this do not include parts like the grille, front bumper, hood, etc., because a donor model car kit (in this case a Lindberg or JoHan 64 Plymouth coupe) is needed to complete the model. Since a 64 kit is also needed to complete the 63 resin model, all parts that are unique to the 63 must be included in the kit.
    I would guess that they probably do include a chrome rear bumper, tail lights, and rear side glass on the 64, but you would need to find out for sure from the maker. My guess is that the 64 Plymouth wagon was the first one they made a mold for, and then they made improvements and additions when the added additional versions of the wagon mold.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. 69plywgn

69plywgn Well-Known Member