Latest on the '62 Olds Dynamic 88 wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by starfireelvis, Mar 27, 2012.

1. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK everyone, my friend "Impala Jim" has really gone to town, so to speak, in getting the '62 Olds Fiesta wagon looking sharp.

Before Jim's handiwork, I must share some pics of the newly-rechromed rear bumper that Jim and I put on the wagon this past Sunday. What a difference.

Credit to Jeff at Joe's Bumper Service in Hudson, Ohio for the great job they did.

You'll note that the tailgate moulding is off; we have a nice non-pitted one that will go back on the wagon soon. Jim also did some fiberglass patchwork on the rocker panels; at some point, a more permanent fix will be with the NOS rocker panels I have, that will be welded in.

Jim did find a gallon of white acrylic lacquer paint from when he painted his '60 Chevy Impala convertible; he's been busy wet-sanding it, and will be done with pretty much the entire car minus the roof and the doors and panels above the beltline.

Will do this in a couple of segments...included is a pic of the old bumper and its rot...

2. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, next segment--these are ugly, as this is the "before" pictures of the rocker panels, from up on the rack at my mechanic's place...

Attached Files:

3. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    And now, the "after", with pics of both sides, as well as the front and back...

Attached Files:

4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What a difference, looks really great. :yup:

5. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have ordered the linoleum from SMS, also some carpet from Fusick's Automotive (the world's largest Oldsmobile-only supplier), and plan to detail the interior cargo area side panels, as well as anything that can have its fawn paint refreshed. Here's an interesting tag Jim found as we've worked on the car--for the carpeting, dated September 29, 1961. The cargo panels have a date stamp of October 3, 1961 on the back as well.

Attached Files:

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That's really cool! Barwick was apparently a north GA carpet mill(closed now). I worked for Milliken & Co. right out of college for a couple years. They have an automotive fabric division.

Body work looks great on this big 'ol Omobile as does the newly rechromed bumper! :thumbs2:

7. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Interesting info there on Berwick Mike--always love hearing stuff like that.

Funny story--I referenced Jim to check out a white (I think) '65 Chevy Impala wagon that was posted on Facebook (JIm has a red '65 Impala SS coupe to go with his white '60 Impala convertible). When I asked him if he'd want to try his hand at tackling that one, he replied "One Moby Dick is enough in one lifetime!"

I will pass along the kudos to Jim for his excellent handiwork...

8. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    oops--BARWICK! Darn typos!

9. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, more progress from Impala Jim today; he put the "new" tailgate moulding on, along with the polished-up 88 Rocket ornament; the non-pitted moulding was from the same donor vehicle in California as the bumper.

Also, Jim refurbished the rear wheels, shooting some paint on the rims, and detailing the dog-dish hubcaps and the beauty rings.

No other painting today; though it was close to 70 in NE Ohio this afternoon, the winds were howling big-time. Know that ideally it's best to paint in some sort of sealed-off room, but the fast drying acrylic lacquer, plus the forgiving white (I know the pitfalls of a black car with the Starfire), has allowed for the car to really start stepping up. I think Jim is becoming more and more enamored with it each day!

Attached Files:

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's looking really great, elvis! That is such a gorgeous wagon.(y)

11. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, today's progress centers around the cargo area side panels; Jim painted these with the correct fawn (taken from one of those "scanners" that matched the interior metal surfaces; the paint adheres to vinyl as well).

A couple of other interesting (to me, anyways...) finds on the back panels; you see Jim holding up one of those panels upon removal; stamped on the cardboard panel was the part number, along with the date of requisition and/or installation (?) of October 3rd, 1961; and also, some writing on the back, with two dates I am surmising (9/30 and 10/2, which would also be from '61 undoubtedly), and the name "Henderson" and the initials "M H" (same guy?) who apparently installed them.

If he's still around, hope he's enjoying his retirement!

Attached Files:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I LOVE finding personal stuff like that in old cars!(y)

13. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    As it appears at the beginning of April, 2012, with all four wheels detailed, a completely refurbished tailgate, newly-rechromed rear bumper, tailgate moulding, and driver's side taillight housing.

A new (NOS--new old stock, never been on a car) driver's side taillight housing I found on eBay a few years back was installed by Jim--one more nice shiny addition to the back of the wagon. Now, to find one for the other side, or have that one re-chromed so it will be unpitted, and look as nice as the on on the driver's side.

In addition to the two back wheels previously done, Jim detailed the two front wheels, painting the rims, and refurbishing the center caps and trim rings. Now, to add the Dynamic 88 trim back on, once the fender is wet-sanded, and done for good.

Jim reshot the hood and driver's side front fender and everywhere else it was looking a little thin, and the latest coat should do the trick. Once it's wet-sanded and determined good to go, then the center hood moulding, and the "OLDSMOBILE" lettering at the front lip of the hood will be added back on.

Attached Files:

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Cool beans, I saw where impalajim joined our happy group yesterday. Waiting on a post from him. :coffee:

15. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, he told me that he signed up yesterday--the better to see all the great wagon pictures with (and not just mine!)