I Need Some Help From You GM Box Wagon People......

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Krash Kadillak, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've been running into a bunch of road blocks trying to replace the rear bumper fillers on my '81 Pontiac Bonneville Safari.

The fillers already needed replacing before I bought it, so I was aware I needed to replace them. A few months after getting the wagon, I bought a set of rear fillers on-line from Replica Plastics.

This is where the trouble started. For those unaware, the GM Box Wagon fillers are made of a fairly flexible urethane rubber, pretty similar to common bumper cover material. Over time, these fillers have a tendency to dry out, get brittle, and begin to crack or even break apart, which it what mine did.....
    [​IMG]

(You can see some of the missing filler area in the background.)
    So I get the replacement fillers in, and they're not at all like the originals. Made of a fairly thin Fiberglas, plus one of the end pieces had a slight crack in it. I didn't bother returning it at that time - the crack wouldn't show after the piece was installed.

I finally get around to the job a few weeks ago, get the fillers sanded, primed and painted, then I go to install them..... I find out the center filler piece isn't anything like the original one on the wagon. The top surface that you see is similar, but it's completely missing the flange surface that is underneath and positions the filler. Without this flange surface, I would have to screw through the Fiberglas filler from above. Here's some pics showing a broken piece that still has the flange surface, and the metal retaining strip that helps hold the filler in place: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways.......

So I call the other bumper filler company, E & K Bumper Fillers, whose fillers are made of ABS plastic. Seems like for this application it would be better than Fiberglas. So I ask the guy if his fillers for the wagon have the mounting flange on them. He says, 'No", but also says he might be able to add one!

So here's my problem:
    My fillers were so broken up, I can't get some critical dimensions. I don't even know if the center filler is supposed to be one-piece or two-piece (E & K's center filler right now is two-piece. Replica Plastics center filler is one-piece)
    - Here's what I need:

- Dimensions and a pic of where the center filler ends on each side, under the end pieces. Note that the dimensions might not be the same on each side, due to the gate hinge mechanism on the left.
    - Pic of the connection in the middle between the two filler pieces (if it is a two-piece)

If you can e-mail me the pics, that would be great! mloveday541@gmail.com

If we can get this done, we'll have actually usable fillers for everyone who needs them. As far as I'm concerned, the Replica Plastics fillers are absolutely useless, and I would not recommend them at all.

THANKS!
    Marshall
    -

Gregpenn likes this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    As a shadetree mechanic here are a few suggestions. Even if it doesn't work on the GM box wagon it may work on a Ford, Studebaker, Plymouth, Henway or others.
    First choice---------- Wander the neighborhood and see if there is a neighbor installing vinyl siding. They always have scraps. Follow the same instructions given for the second choice below.
    Go to your favorite home improvement store, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, etc.
    Go to the vinyl siding department. Look thru the "J" strips, the "U" strips which go around windows and doors, possibly "L" strips, etc.
    You are looking for something that will snap over or glue to the square metal cross piece under the rear of the bumper where the original filler was.
    You may have to glue or pop rivit two "L" pieces to form the box that snaps over that metal square thingie.
    Now grab one piece of smooth vinyl siding in an off white, beigh, or tan. Cut this piece with a utility knife to replace the original filler piece.
    If the color is not right rough the piece with 200 grit sandpaper and shoot a light coat of rattle can paint of your choice made for plastic.
    Use Gorilla glue, contact cement, or pop rivets to attach this new filler to the new piece that will fit over the square bumper piece.

Or operation #2. ---- Go to the same store only to the enterior decorating section where wood and tile flooring is. There you will see window, door, and baseboard trim. Look for the flexible vinyl baseboard in the color and width you need as a filler piece. Sometimes you can also find this in rolls of softer and more flexible material.
    Using the same "J" or "U" vinyl siding trim pieces, maybe even an inside corner, attach these together and install your new rear bumper filler.
    May also be used as a bumper filler on the front bumper.

3. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Had not thought of that, as I have never worked with vinyl house siding.... I'll check it out. Thanks.
    That might work for the fairly flat center piece, but would not work too well for the formed end pieces.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    See the rest of the shadetree hint above.
    Remember most vinyl siding can be bought in double 4", triple 4", and flat 8" widths. The eight inch can be shaped for curved flat end filler pieces. Just don't use the wood grained textured siding.

I'd bet this siding can also replace the front lower spoiler plastic that often gets ripped off.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

KK, I just saw this thread, I know time is of importance for you....... and I have procrastinated re- my Buick ( have had RV on the brain for some time), anyway the front and rear bumpers I still need to remove on the Buick for paint. If a week'ish is OK pending weather I can give you what ever pics and measurements you need.:tiphat:

Food for thought, could using trim tape for moldings work?

[​IMG]

I would consider this before any glues/permanent adhesives as if down the road something happens you would have a friendlier time removing.

6. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, Tedy. I can wait.....
    That tape idea is one I had not thought of..... I think these Fiberglas pieces are so screwed up that the center piece wouldn't lay flat enough for the tape to work properly. If I had a good part, I could sure use it....

7. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Krash, have you received your E & K bumper fillers yet? How do they fit?

8. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    No, Tyler. The filler issue had to go on the back burner for a while. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough pieces of the center filler left for E&K to make a mold.
    I'm going to be doing some junk-yarding pretty soon, and I'll be looking for a box wagon specifically for this reason.

9. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The heat gun is your friend.

10. Gregpenn

Gregpenn Member

I need a right rear filler for my 79 Impala wagon. E&K says their 1980 kit will fit a 79, but I don’t need the kit- $300. E&K said they are the only company that makes the 80 fillers. Maybe they mean with ABS material, because Classic Ind has the individual 1980 fillers but they are fiberglass. Any suggestions?