Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MrMister, Aug 20, 2011.

1. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, MrMr. It should be fun helping you find the right wagon. I'm in full agreement with Silverfox on the Coronet. It really bothers me when the trim around the wood is still there, but the wood is not. Like SF, it's a personal pet peeve on mine. It always seemed to me that if you were going to go to the trouble of removing it, you might as well do it right and put the correct moldings on there as well. On the other hand, it did look to be rust free, but we'd need pics of the under carriage to make sure of that.
    As far as the Fairlane goes, why did she only send you pictures of the interior? I would think she would've sent you just as many, if not more, of the exterior. Like SF has said, be patient as I can guarantee the right car will come along. It just may take a bit of time, that's all.

2. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree. I don't know why she only sent those. She had one picture of the exterior up on craigs. If she sends more then she does. If not, then no worries.
    Feel free to post any you see that look cool or like a good deal.

3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

4. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I saw that. I wish my wife wasn't so picky about everything, but that one has too many strikes against it. I would snap that up in a heart beat if it were me. But she never asks to buy clothes or jewelry or anything for that matter, so I will let her be picky about this.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    What's her problem with it, if I may ask? I'll bet she would have no problem with it if she rode in that cloud.:D These are nice wagons.

6. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You may ask. She doesn't like any car resembling something that could be seen on "That 70's Show," it has red interior, it looks like our grandparents would drive it. She would just take one look laugh and say, "No."

7. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    We have a wagon. Or I should say I have a wagon. :(
    I got the 1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari. My wife relies on me because she wont drive in front of people and she wouldn't go with me. She refuses to drive it because of the size. It is beautiful. It has some things that need to be done, but she doesn't like one thing about it. Everybody else loves it.
    An old couple pulling out of our street slammed on the brakes as I was pulling in. The old guy driving almost broke his neck looking and I saw him mouth, "What the hell is that?"
    So, now I am hoping in time she will get used to the idea. It seats our family perfectly. I will get some pics when things smooth over a little bit.

8. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new wagon! The Pontiac is small compared to all the Suburbans and Expeditions that so many women with kids drive. I hope she can get comfortable driving it. Probably would help if you install a passenger side rear view mirror if it doesn't already have one.

9. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You are correct I will be installing one of those. But these are so easy to park and drive. The turning ratio and power steering are unbelievable. And the lack of blind spots when you have just glass all around is so great. Reminds me of a convertible.

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    CONGRATS, mr!! :banana::party5::band::dancingparty:

11. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. She's been warming up to the idea, since I told her if she gets in an accident it's my fault.
    She took it for a one minute drive today and didn't enjoy it. She said she felt like she was going to hit all the cars. I need to get a foam seat that she can sit on and find a way to make it easier for her to step on the pedals. Any ideas and I am all yours.

Looking on www.oldride.com for my vin decoder. I can figure it out but it doesn't seem one hundred percent accurate. In the vin code for my wife's wagon, aka "The Batmobile" according to my kids, it has an "A" for the location of the plant. That isn't listed on this site. Looking at the letter code on the engine: I can clearly make out "1 *H." The star looks like it could be a partial T or 2 but it looks like it wasn't stamped all the way. That would be the 389 with 267 hp. 2 Barrel carb.

12. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Could be the foam in the seat may have deteriorated over time so that she sits way too low to see clearly over the dash. New foam would make it more comfortable and put her significantly higher in the seat. New seat foam made a huge difference for my 67 Coronets when I had it installed this year after driving for several years feeling like I was sitting too low in the seat.
    A booster seat as you're describing likely won't be comfortable for every day use. If you don't think new seat foam is in order, then you might consider taking four small wooden blocks, drilling holes in them, and inserting them on the studs of the seat frame between the floor pan and the carpet ( a previous owner of one of my Barracudas had done that successfully for his wife).

13. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    CONGRATS man....excellent find:cheers:

14. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Rev. I will be starting a project page in the Cosmetics and Restoration.
    My wife is trying her best to enjoy the wagon. Or at least tolerate it.
    But how can you not love a wagon? I took some pics today but I didn't realize it was too dark. We have it at my parents because we need to take it to a shop for engine work :). I already knew this when purchasing so it is no surprise.

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    apparently ive finally warped my girls brain:yup:

she comes over the other nite and i had put my 65 Comet wagon on the front yard with 4SALE signs in it....and she says...(after it sat in the back yard the whole time weve been dating)....she says....thats cute!!!!!....fix it for me will ya???....:biglaugh:

now she wants to go 'halfers' on it...:biglaugh: