HELP! Transmission blew fluid out of dipstick

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Dead Reckon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

Alright, so, last month, my '86 Olds Custom Cruiser (700R4) decided to downshift from 3rd to 2nd while doing 45 when I let off the gas. It then proceeded to blow all of the fluid out of the transmission thru the dipstick, I don't think any seals where blown. I know it came out of the dipstick, it even got some on the distributor and top of the air can. I thought it was just an oil leak when I saw the smoke from whatever was hitting the manifold, until I smelled the lovely smell of transmission fluid on the manifold.

I did add a bit of transmission fluid earlier that week, but it was reading quite low. I don't see how adding about 6oz of fluid could do this, but I thought I'd note that. And yes, it was Dextron II, as intended for the transmission.

The transmission does have a set of lines that runs to a aftermarket radiator style transmission cooler, some universal unit, but that's been on the car ten years with no problems.

Upon google'ing this issue they said to check a vent tube. I don't see how that would suddenly get clogged, even if it is there.

Also, upon inspecting several posts found on Google, this seems to be a common problem with the 700R4, it's replacement, the 4L60E, and that it may be overheating.

I was hoping to limp the car home, but it only goes backwards, it's been sitting in my fathers driveway for almost two months now. Does anyone here think that draining the fluid in the transmission and filling it back up will help?

I'm open to other solutions, my parts car, a 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser has a rebuilt trans in it, but it's been sitting for four years. I don't have the money to replace it right now, between jobs. But I could yank the transmission out of this car once I find another job, until I can replace the 307 and trans entirely. I just need a bandaid to get this tank home.

So... Yeah, any idea's? I don't feel like having (or have the money) to use a tug boat to bring the barge home. :D

2. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My 91 Caprice did a very similar "puke" job, but my transmission never lost any functions. I was afraid to drive it, so I had it towed to a transmission shop and they never found anything wrong with it.

I had also added about a pint of fluid just before leaving on that trip. It blew fluid all over the place...a lot more than the pint I added!

The trans shop thought that the vent tube might have gotten plugged OR that I didn't lock the dipstick down tightly after adding the fluid.

Does the fluid level show very low now? If so, I would fill it up again and try it. It might not be working because the fluid level is too low.You've got nothing to lose at this point.

I would also verify that the vent tube is not plugged; it's hard to get to (on top of the case, probably about 12" rearward of the front of the trans). It IS possible for the vent tube to get plugged.

And finally, make sure the dipstick is properly locked in place after you add back all the fluid.

Good luck!

3. Dead Reckon

There is basically no fluid left in it, I drove it a quarter mile to my fathers house, tried to move it, only goes backwards. My father says that's a good sign. That if it didn't move at all, I'd be screwed.

I've read, and my father confirms this, if you have old fluid in a trans, which has gotten hot (This car has many times, it's even had the temp light come on a few times for various reasons, towing, belt breaking, ect. Can't kill iron block engines!), and you add new fluid, it'll foam once it gets warm. Thus, the car will barf up it's fluid.

What I could not find any info on was if putting fluid back in will help, but, from what you've told me, it might, and I need my car.

I don't believe the vent tube to be an issue, I think it's just a case of "Those fluids should not have mixed".

Side note, there is no way in hell I'm getting rid of this car, so one way or another this is getting fixed. I have too many fond memories in this car as a kid. As well as many driving it as an adult, so this car WILL drive again, at some point.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I would just add fluid and keep checking the level to make sure you don't over fill it. Make sure the dipstick is all the way pushed down tight--Dip stick!:rofl2:I have added fluids in all sorts of automatic trannys which mixes old with new. But none was overheated oil.
    If none of this works trade it for a Prius!:D

5. Dead Reckon

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Either the lil plastic vent tube on the top of the trans case is plugged(mud wasp's are notorious for this) OR your cooler lines are plugged either in the radiator or in the cooler, Could also be the rubber connecting lines to the cooler.

Those are the only things I have ever seen do the dipstick puke job.

7. Dead Reckon

Well, just thought I'd update this, even though it's old.

Tried to fill my trans, it's now bleeding out the bottom, but it does move. I'm gonna check the trans in my parts car, it's rebuilt, if there are no shavings in the fluid, I'll swap it in when I can.

8. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just a side note, but if your car has the 307 and you have overdrive you have the 200-4R. The 700R4 was never made with the BOP bellhousing pattern.

9. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If a tranny sits for four years or longer it should work just fine if it did when parked, but before running it if this were me I'd pop the pan and replace the filter, clean the pan, then fresh fluid. There is always crud in the bottom of trans pans. Tranny shops love it as they are able to show the customer but it is normal. It is why changing the fluid and filter should be a normal part of maintenance.

10. Dead Reckon

Yes, I plan to do that when I pull it from the other car, I've got a garage I can use to pull it, but I'll have to get someone to put it in. I know someone who can, it'll be cheaper, but I"ll just have to leave the car in a queue line for awhile, he does in his spare time.

Also I'm pretty sure my father said there is a 700R4 in there, but, I may be wrong. When I drop in a 350 later on a 700R4 or a 4l60 is what I'll use, depending on which 350 I use.

Also the trans I'm using is in a car with a inspection sticker that expired in 2011, so it's been sitting at least two years, maybe three. Tires where already dry rotted when we got it in 2011, so I'd say it had been sitting for the entirety of 2010, but I may be wrong. Either way, sad that the tires where ruined, they where brand new mastercraft white walls. I don't like white walls, but they where brand new.

11. unkldave

unkldave Cockroach Dave

Wagon Garage:
    transmission overflow

First I'd check the # 1 accumulator piston. Actually I'd check for leaks overall. If the govenor came apart thats where the fluid will exit and in a hurry.

12. Dead Reckon

Can't tell where it's coming from, but it is coming out of three points, either way, I'll find out when I get it out to swap it. It's no huge problem now that I know I have a reliable transmission to put in the car. I will update this post when I find out what went wrong.

13. unkldave

unkldave Cockroach Dave

Wagon Garage:
    The transmission has a rectangular pan if it is a 700r4 and an odd "S" shaped pan if it is a 200r4. I have had the same thing happen to my 1984 Pontiac wagon with a 700r4. It turned out to be the #1-2 accumulator piston seals gone bad. I changed to a piston with carbon seals and it returned to it's old reliable self. It cost about $80.00 bucks and I didn't even have to remove the tranny from the car. I did, however, have forward gears and not just reverse. I think if your trans doesn't have forward gears, it has bit the dust. Something internal has gone bad. Too many neutral drops or power brakes can kill a tranny. I wouldn't change to a 350 turbohydramatic because the 700/200r4 trannys are a bit longer and you'll need another driveshaft. Besides, all the stuff in the car is going to need to be changed to match the 350/400 transmission. I have seen 700r4's live a long time under high horse power applications and the 200r4 was the transmission of choice for all but a few of the Buick Grand Nationals. I guess what I am saying is that the overdrive trannys should work well for you. I would take it out and try and get it fixed. I know of no inherent flaws in these transmissions that would predicate the swapping to a much older transmission which would leave you and your car over revving at freeway speeds.
    Dave

14. Dead Reckon

When I had it full of fluid before it started leaking again, we got the car to go forwards, and back, it was fine. Thanks a lot for the info! You may have just saved me a HUUUUUUUUGE headache! I will definitely look into this, 'cause it is leaking from the bottom, three line streak in the driveway when we turned the car around (So it's easier to push when need be)

15. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did you try a pick-n-pull junk yard? The cost of a trans is about $125 if you pull it. Maybe less if you return the core.