Hello from the new owner of a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Wagon!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Chris Hafner, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Chris Hafner

Chris Hafner Wagonista

Hello all,

I recently indulged my twin passions of station wagons and older cars by purchasing a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Wagon. The basic rundown:
    - It has 62K original miles, documented by the repair receipts
    - The exterior has a slightly rusty finish on the front-left, but otherwise the paint is oxidized but pretty nice.
    - The interior is blue vinyl and *perfect* - though it's missing the rear-facing third row seat.
    - It has the 351 Cleveland 2-V
    - The brakes were just thoroughly redone, but there are some issues - a squealing belt which I should be dealing with shortly, rusty wheels that periodically cause the tires to unseal, and a tailgate that a) doesn't lock b) doesn't fold down, just swings wide and c) sometimes swings wide into oncoming traffic while I'm driving.

But all things considered, for a $1,100 purchase price, I'm thrilled. Even as is, it's a fun driver and hauler, and I love just gazing at it. It probably wouldn't be hard to turn it into something really special, so we'll see which direction I go on that. At the very least I'll be claying, polishing, washing and waxing it soon to see how much impact I can make on the paint.

These are the seller's pics - I haven't had time to take better shots yet, but I will share them when I do:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just discovered this site thanks to another Gran Torino wagon owner, but I've always been a wagon lover. Sedans have that wasted space above the trunk that really bothers me - there's something both about the quasi-fastback styling of a wagon that departs from the three-box sedan model that looks actually sportier to me, and I just love the versatility and the space. I previously owned a 1983 Chevy Malibu Wagon that I loved dearly but sold in a spurt of regrettable common sense. Hatchbacks, especially five-door hatchbacks, are also a favorite but it's just hard to match the style and space of a wagon.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and becoming a member here. I also manage Amazon's Car Lust blog, which focuses on older and quirkier cars and will probably be writing up my purchase there in the next few days.

Also, I can't wait to browse around and check out your wagons - judging by the rotating header picture, you guys have some really drool-inducing stuff.

2. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard? It's probably a good thing the rear seat is missing. Having the rear door
    swing open while setting back there might be a bit more of a thrill than you'd want your
    passenger to experience back there. I recently mentioned driving a car very similar to
    yours, it was bronze inside and out, every bit as handsome as that blue on yours. A personal
    favorite of mine, that blue, it reminds me of GM's Nassau, mixed with Marina, Blue!
    And what's not to love about the steel wheels with the dog dish caps! Good find!
    Best wishes and Merry Christmas, go tie a fir tree to the top!

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, Chris. That wagon looks like a BARGAIN at $1100! Good find.(y)

4. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Welcome and a great buy.

5. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

Great find and welcome from the frigid Carolinas.....

Rod

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Chris. Always nice to see the right guy finding a fine project ride.;):Welcome:

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the site, Chris. Nice find there. Looks to be in really good shape for an original Washington car.

Marshall

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:Chris, I had a light green one years ago with the 400 2bbl. Mine had the full wheel covers but otherwise it looked very much the same as yours. That Ford vinyl back then never seemed to wear out. My best gas milage back then was 16 highway but the car was a cruiser. Very comfortable and will haul the mail so to speak.

We bought ours when we found out we were having twins. We traded in the Pinto Squire for the bigger wagon. When we moved from Ca. to Florida we loaded it up completely and it was dragging so low we stopped at the Sears store in San Jose and had them install air shocks.

Nice choice IMO.:thumbs2:

9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :tiphat: welcome aboard. Great intro! Nice wagon, sounds like your really excited about your find...congratulations...enjoy :yahoo:

10. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Nah he ain't, he wanted us all to drool.

11. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

12. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Chris.

13. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    GREAT FIND CHRIS:thumbs2:

:Welcome: To the board...and Ford:yup:

14. Swazafix

Swazafix New Member

Wagon Garage:
    As a previous Torino owner and wagon lover I got to say that is a very special car you have there.

Please post more pics, its gorgeous!