Hello from Idaho!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by dianne, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dianne

dianne New Member

Thanks, yours is nice also :)

Where in Utah? I'm in Nampa!

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am in Ogden, up towards the north end.

3. dianne

dianne New Member

Cool, I get to Logan a bunch...

4. Dewey Satellite

Wagon Garage:
    Love Logan! Was just up there last week for Logans Run, wish my car had been there. (No interior at the moment).

5. dianne

dianne New Member

Cool! Well hope you get the interior done!

6. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Dianne , that's one sweet Rambler:cheers: from downunder

7. dianne

dianne New Member

Gotta tell you, love yours!!!

8. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No interior? Still? :slap: Ummm, are you ever planning to put an interior in it? (someone has to fill in for Cat in his absence with regards to interior motivation for Dewey:rofl2::evilsmile: )

9. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard - great wagon!

10. dianne

dianne New Member

Thank you and thanks for the welcome also.

Do you guys all talk about your builds and everything here? I have some painting questions and if you can do acrylic lacquer in stages, so if I do a fender first, can you wait before doing other parts? I want to do a section at a time and does temperature affect that if I go into winter and try and heat my garage?

Thanks again!

11. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Diane: There is a whole section of threads on builds and projects for our wagons. You should start one there. It will be great to be able to follow progress, and as you ask questions, try to answer them. Of course, you WILL get answers, but only some with be correct. There is also a section for non-wagon projects, so we will want to see pictures and progress on that Maverick, too.

About brakes: Try this for size: Up until 1980, we had a 72 Dodge Dart with 4 wheel manual drum brakes and manual steering. I learned to drive on that beast hence my comment about grey hair and wet brakes. For a year, we had a 75 Dart with power steering and power front disc brakes. In 81, we went to an 81 Volvo wagon, with power rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel power disc brakes. That is a lot of improvement in a single year! I would never, on a daily driver, go back to 4 wheel drums. Also, if you are driving the Rambler regularly, convert it to a dual system. One of the later 1960s Ramblers will gladly donate its master cylinder and discs, so the whole thing stays Rambler. It will just be more capable in modern traffic.

12. dianne

dianne New Member

I just finished a 1980 Honda from paint to the polishing of the aluminium. Did that one a single stage enamel and it looked good :) I attached pics. These pics don't have the engine and parts polished (used a dremel and burned out one doing it) with jewellers polish. Putting on American flags with flames now, waiting for all the stuff to come in. I drive this daily and only drive a car when it's raining now. In Idaho where I am, I'll get to ride it daily up into October!

I have one on the Maverick forums, but I can do that one here now.

Now, as for disc brakes. My daily driver was a 1973 VW Beetle with drums all the way around. I drove that for awhile and was in the middle of the restore when I decided I didn't want it anymore. Before that was a 77 Vega I did a paint job on and then sold it. I felt I needed something new, bought the Durango, and the decided I couldn't stand being that normal on cars I drive. Bought the Maverick - sat in a field for a LOT of years and had to have new floor pans welded in. It's at a place now getting the whole thing into order, about 1,500 in parts alone and it will be mechanically pretty new again. Even new brake lines and master cylinder or even all the brake parts. Name something, it's probably new. It's too late for that car right now I guess is what I'm saying because everything has been bought for it and it's in process now. I might change it over to 5 lugs later and that's when I would do discs :D

So I went looking for a small eco model and ended up with the Ramber ahahaha That car was one of Americas first eco models to combat the new imports coming in. A lot of history on it and couldn't not have him, so bought him and brought him home.

I'll probably drive the wagon more, so maybe I'll do discs on it. The Maverick isn't in the same class as that wagon! I'll start some threads. The wagon won't get to the shop until the Maverick is finished and then the Rambler will get started. That's why I asked the question on painting parts little by little!

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  13. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Enamel? What's enamel?

Last time I used that emamel stuff waz 'bout 1958 when I used my Mothers Electrolux to shoot my '48 Triumph 350. They won't even let me buy that stuff where I live 'cept maybe in ah rattle can anymore. As far as the Acrylics go I'll just say MAYBE, But stay away from ANY color with ANY Metalic in it. It's still best if you can shoot the whole car with any of the two stage acrylics during the same shoot tho'. Base coat- Clear coat within an hour of each other. Every thing you do is affected by air preasure, temprature, and humidity and any metalic will compound the posibility for color variation if there'z a time delay. Ask me how I know this:cry:....:Welcome: to the party BTW, Jer

14. Dewey Satellite

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah I was hoping to make some big strides this spring but putting in a huge garden kinda took over. I appreciate the modivational push though Saf...It's hot but I need to get going. Man I want to drive her again.:dance:

15. dianne

dianne New Member

I have my heart set on Acrylic Lacquer to be honest! There will be no metal flake in either car, one in Grabber Blue and the other in standard factory Grabber Blue, although the Maverick was that crappy green color.

I'm thinking I can do a section at a time on the car. I've been trying to read up on pianting in stages, seems it would work with the lacquer. Please, if I'm wrong please tell me. I was thinking of doing the dark pink first then the rest. I can wait and do it all at one time I guess if I have to...

Thanks for the welcome! I guess we don't have those laws in Idaho that you can't spray single stage paint. Long as I can stay away from Kalifornia I'd be ok ;)