Has anyone had an instrument panel repaired?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Spartan, May 20, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

I've got a few issues with my instrument panel and found a company called Southern Electronics that supposedly does repairs on all instrument panels:
    https://www.instrumentclusters.com/

Here's what's wrong:
    The speedometer needle is busted off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second, the gas gauge is way off. (I've mentioned this in another thread.) I have a new fuel sending unit on the way, but would also like to make sure the gauge itself is not the issue. On top of that, it looks like the needle on that is also broken, and has maybe been repaired before? Or is about to fall off. Hard to tell.
    [​IMG]

Third, it would be good to confirm that the speedometer is calibrated, which this company can do.

I just got off the phone with them, explaining what I have and what I need fixed and they assured me they can do all this. I ship it to them, they do a complete refurb, and ship it back.

Is this a good idea, or a dumb/risky one? I don't yet know what's involved in pulling the panel out. I also don't know how these guys have the parts to do all this. Curious if anyone has experience with having an older instrument cluster repaired.

2. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've seen restorations from other company's with excellent results...cost im not sure of but yes there are company's that can make just about any year gauge like new again...pick up a copy of "hemmings motor news" and look in the services section and there will be several company's that do this work...usually there is anyway..;) P.S. on my mercury removing the dash pad is required to get my cluster out, yours may be similar

3. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

Thanks. They quoted $265 on the phone, which seems somewhat reasonable. I looked at their Facebook page and they have a lot of posts about classic vehicles, much older than 1983, so it appears they know what they are doing.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

To know if your gauge works correctly, because a problem with the float arm will make the gauge misread, you unplug the harness at the gas tank, then turn on the ignition (you don't need to start the engine). The needle should be to the far left of the gauge scale, far below empty. Now, take a jumper wire, and find the sender lead. Ground that lead to the frame. The gauge needle should now be at full-deflection to the right. If the gauge does not do that, it needs service. If it does, then the sender is suspect. To set the new sender so it correctly reads, completely drain the gas tank. Remove the old sender, but at this time, do not yet install the new one. Pour two gallons of gas into the tank. Temporarily put the sender in without the seal or lock ring, and turn the ignition on. If the float arm is correct, two gallons will put the needle right on 'E.' If not, bend the arm to get the needle in the correct place. You may need a second person to help you do this. If you have to remove the tank to do this, make sure it sits upright so the float arm will work correctly. Once set, shut off the ignition and reassemble everything.

5. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: