Great to be here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Station Wagon Ranger, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Station Wagon Ranger

Station Wagon Ranger 1953 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    Good afternoon fellow Station Wagon aficionados! I just posted a photo and short introduction under Garage/American Station Wagons. I have a 1953 Ford "Crestline" Country Squire Station Wagon which I take out for long or short drives each weekend. I belong to several clubs and enjoy the nuances and members of each one.

My '53 Squire is an original California car coming out of the FoMoCo Long Beach plant on January 17, 1953. First sold in San Francisco on August 18, 1953. Im the 5th owner from what I can tell. It was carefully restored by the last two owners who kept the original maple trim wood; and interior.

Heres an "interpretative information placard" I place on the back side window (with a copy of the original invoice/sales receipt) for curious onlookers. It helps answer most of the typical questions. Folks seem to appreciate it:

• Production Date and Location: January 17, 1953 - Long Beach, CA

• Date and Location First Sold: August 18, 1953 - San Francisco, CA

• Original Cost: $2,886

• Total 1953 “Country Squire" Production: 11,001

This rare 1953 Ford “Crestline Series” Country Squire Station Wagon nestled amongst ranch style homes, backyard barbecues, Sunday drives and Bobs Big Boy Drive-In’s was the quintessential example of classic 1950s Southern California suburbia.

Advertised by Ford as the “top of the line" station wagon (out of three wagon models that year) that provided “room for eight or a half ton of freight”, the Country Squire was the venue for around-town shopping and “outdoor family transportation”: camping trips, scenic weekend picnics at the beach or countryside and Drive-In movies with the kids. Bottom line, the station wagon was the vehicle that focused on “family fun together”.

The first half of 1953 would be the last time Ford would incorporate real wood with a station wagon.(Citing maintenance reasons, beginning the later half of 1953, the Country Squire substituted genuine wood trim for “fiberglass wood grained trim”. This would be the automotive standard until 1996 when the full-sized station wagon met its demise. Sadly, it would be replaced by the Mini Van in 1984, and now, ubiquitous SUV). 1953 would also be the final year of the venerable flathead V8 engine; after a 21 year run.

With authentic maple or birch trim, matching maple wood-grained belt line and mahogany wood-grained sides, this wagon was stunning combined with the light Glacier Blue paint. The interior includes the “Flight Style Control Panel” dash and interior belt line in Goldtone with faux mahogany paneling gracing the four doors and rear quarter panels. Original “Saddletex” Mahogany and Milan Straw vinyl make up the three bench seats that hold up to 9 passengers (the 2nd and 3rd seats fold down for ample cargo space). Under the hood and ready to deliver 110 horsepower, sits the powerful 239.4 cubic inch “Strato Star” V-8 flathead engine. Three speed with Overdrive, rare power steering and a 4.27 to 1 rear axle ratio completes the drivetrain. With full visibility “Curva-Lite” windshield; and tinted glass all around, “Ford Custom Radio”, “MagicAire” heater, interior lighting and “Futuristic Jet Age” grill, taillights and hood ornament ….nothing is lacking in this “state of the art” wagon for 1953.

It is an honor and privilege to own and share this beautiful 1953 “pioneer of the modern station wagon” that we all came to love during the 50s, 60s and 70s. I hope it will take you back to those “good old days” as it does for me”.

The station wagon has truly been a quintessential symbol of the all American family vehicle heading off to great adventures whether it was a trip to the market for weekly groceries, piling all the kids of the neighborhood into the wagon for a local little league game, weekend outings & drives with the family, drive-in movie night, cross country vacation and camping trips or a picnic day trip to the beach or nearby state park.

Love my Squire, all wagons and glad to be a part of the Station Wagon Forum!. Fascinating to read about all the varying interests in wagons out there.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Grizz, OrthmannJ, fannie and 2 others like this.
  2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums, Station Wagon Ranger! That's a very lovely wagon you have.

3. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you sir! It sure is a lot of fun. When I joined the forum back in 2015 I hadn't found my wagon yet. I purchased it in Dec 2016. Now have something to contribute and chat about . love the variety of wagons everyone owns on this site.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Grizz and fannie like this.
  4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: aboard.

5. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you so much. I appreciate the welcome. Looks like a great bunch of folks !

6. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you! Great to be a part of The Wagon Train!

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Ranger. That's a beautiful wagon you have there. I'd love to hear more about it. It sounds like you are really enjoying it.

8. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you so much! I really do enjoy the wagon. We often take it for tailgate picnics, drives to a few vintage burger stands within the local 30 mile vicinity since we can't eat indoors. When we have our chairs set up , table cloth on the tailgate with our picnic basket and meal, people get a kick out of that. It s great way to connect with folks and share with them about the history, nostalgia and nuances of the station wagon era. Wagon events are our thing! Since I surf and we live near the beach, the woodie theme fits in well here too.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  9. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Im digging your Plymouth Fury Wagon. Im guessing '63 or '64??

My dad was a Plymouth man and bought a 1965 4 door Plymouth Belvedere that was completely clean and previously owned by an older couple in 1971 (after a trucker totaled our 1966 Plymouth Barracuda). That car was so roomy and provided great memories of day trips and vacations all through Jr High and High School.

Grizz likes this.
  10. OrthmannJ

Thank you. It is a 64.
    Lots of memories wrapped up in this car, since it's been family owned since new.

11. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    That is a forever keeper! Good job! Very Nice and rare to boot!

OrthmannJ likes this.
  12. OrthmannJ

Yes it is. Thank you.

13. Station Wagon Ranger

Wagon Garage:
    Love that front end especially. The grill is so well balanced.

I just updated my Welcome Wagon message and My Garage per your recommendation. You brought up a good point...I needed to add more information on the '53.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  14. OrthmannJ

I agree. I think that Chrysler got it right with the 64 Plymouth front end. There are nice looking designs prior to and following 1964, but to me 64 is by far the best.

15. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There are a lot of Perry Mason episodes where they use a ‘53 Squire that is a little worn, but I can’t see a ‘53 Squire without thinking about the original “Star is born” movie where the nasty Jack Carson drives a copper colored’53 Squire that is just gorgeous. That Glacier blue on yours also gives it a real pop! I think with so many frumpy post Korea colors cars to me really didn’t start getting cheery generally till ‘54-‘55 obviously there were exceptions but two toned bodies were really nice. I love seeing a happy color on early’50’s cars. Your Squire is dazzler!