GM wagons - L05 vs. LT1?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by mp775, Jul 27, 2011.

1. sig

sig New Member

LT1. LS1 even better

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    And the LSA even better, better, bett..........:yup:

3. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You have all convinced me... I want an LT1 in my '90 Buick.
    Wonder if it would get close to 25 mpg on the hwy???

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's not an easy swap. If you are thinking that way why not just go to an LS?

5. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I actually would seriously consider this option.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would LOVE to have an LS in my Cappy. I have a new LT1 that I mildly built and I'm happy with that as a quick driver and the car is pretty cherry. I didn't want to build an LT1 way up for speed so kept it down to fast but not awesome. What I really wanted was to build an LS and drop it in there but, alas, it was way expensive so I have what I have and I'm not disappointed. In your case, since you have to change everything to drop in an LT1, I would just move up to the best LS you can afford.

7. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ^X2
    If you can afford it, this is an excellent plan!
    If I had the $ to do it, I'd probably go this way on my 83 Bonneville, too.
    Amazing power with great fuel economy and bulletproof durability.
    If you can find a good, used 5.7L or 6.0L Vortec from a late model truck, you can get a lot for your money!

8. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The gang 'round here convinced me that LT1 was the way to go. I had spent weeks looking for an L05 for winter to keep my Parisienne out of the snow. I wound up with an LT1 and now I'm putting snows on my Parisienne. That how enjoyable an LT1 can be.

My car was a prime example of a 5-footer if such a thing exists. Once I started digging into it I found a number of issues that are common to these wagons. Have a look in the spare tire well and the drivers side fender well if the owner will let you. The weld points in the rain gutters at the top of the rear hatch had some factory issues that caused leaks. My drivers side rear fender well had about a gallon of water sloshing around in there when I got it as the undercoating had plugged up the drain holes in the fender. The rear windows can sometimes leak causing the same problem.

The seat belt mounting bolts at the very top of the rear wheel wells can get a poor layer of undercoating and rust through. Check the wheel wells all the way up with a flashlight.

In my case the sheet metal lips that the weatherseal mounts to over the driver and passenger side doors wasnt trimmed correctly and prevented the weather seal from seating properly. This caused the weather seals to hold water inside and rust out the roofline.

I don't think these are extremely common issues but I found them in my '94. It never hurts to share so that others can keep an eye out. Interestingly enough my buddy's '95 gave every indication that both of the roof issues had been caught as they weren't present in his newer model.

9. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Excerpt from Professional Cars

"Professional Cars: Ambulances, Hearses, and Flower Cars" By Gregg D. Merksamer. Page 59.

"Borrowing a more powerful LT-1 V-8 from the Chevrolet Corvette, the 1994-96 Buick Roadmasters assumed the "Banker's Hot Rod" allure of their 1950s ancestors. While displacement was unchanged at 5.7 litres, the addiction of sequential fuel injection at each cylinder boosted horsepower from 180 to 260. This 1994 Eureka Encore Brougham also added an electronically governed four-speed automatic overdrive transmission, ozone-friendly air conditioning, and a passenger-side air bag."

I know that it really isn't much to add to the thread but I felt like putting in here.

10. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    mark, your gonna have to change the wiring harness out for the engine swap...might as well do the LS like fox said. thats the most bang for your buck....if you can find a GTO as a donor car, a 6.0ltr ls2 will start you at 400hp!

11. Moparman

Moparman New Member

The L05 is down on horsepower because they were designed exclusively for low-end torque. They are all out of breath at 4,500. But I believe they made 300 ft-lbs of torque.

Very cheap to maintain, durable, easy to work on. I've never had an LT1 so I can't compare directly, but this engine is about as simple as it gets.

12. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The LT1 in a friends Caprice(sedan) got 27 cruising ~75mph.
    LT-1 all day over the old motor.
    Optispark? Yes, it's costly, every 100k or so, big deal.

13. Hfab5

Hfab5 New Member

I'm really late on this one... I've owned them both. Hands down on the LT1 for power and having a LOT of "after market" parts, but for the "driveablity", easy to work on, durability... the LO5 is MY choice. I was getting good gas mileage with both, but it was a little better with the LO5. I believe that was because I kept my foot out of it a lot less. Plugs, and a oil change was all the LO5 ever asked from me, and never gave me any problems. The LT1... a little more work, but well worth it. Don't know what you're looking for, torque, speed, mileage... they both pull well, get good gas mileage, and both will get you a felony if you're not careful. Driving both though(as was said before) now that's the ticket.:)
    Good Luck!

14. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    ok as a person that currently owns both...i can speak about it. and i'll second Hfab5

if you have the need for speed....hands down lt1. the L05 was rated at 185hp (oddly the 3.8 put out the same hp in 92) and 300lb/ft. the LT1 was (conservatively) rated at 260hp and 330 lb/ft. if that doesn't sound like all that much...remember..the LT1 was conservatively rated...meaning at the crank it was more like 280hp. so thats almost 100hp difference.

my buick with its LT1 will blow the doors off of my L05 powered chevy.
    that said the chevy still is very capable....not a fireball but not a dog either. my brother has a 91 roadmaster with an L03 (305ci) and that car is gutless.

and for what its worth...the L99 that was in my old caprice sedan and powers handy andy's wifes car...feels (power wise) squarely in between the L05 and LT1

15. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep! I drove it once, and she runs like the wind, without sweating it. It was cop car, so it might have some factory tweaks.