Getting ready for the storm

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by fannie, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That thing would terrify the living hell out of my dogs...hmmm.

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Wonder how it's programmed to do a big lawn?
    Many years ago I had an old reel type mower with a gas engine on it. I'd put a stake in the ground with a rope on it and let the mower go in circles.

Had a pool cleaner that looked a little like that, without blades, and it never did clean all of the round pool.

Had a friend with a vacuum cleaner similar. It scared the dogs so bad they had a bigger mess to clean up!

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    First time for everything.

It maybe hard to believe but we had ANOTHER stormy day today. It started freezing raining and ice pellets early last evening. All of today it was mixed with snow, on and off, windy...nasty day...wasn't to cold though(silver lining).(y)

I dropped daughter off at her work about 8:00am then went to my work, back tracking, usually a 15 min drive, took me twice that time. The roads were a mess, very icy with a layer of snowy slush on top.

After work I go back to pick up my daughter, this route takes me passed the airport. Which is always winder, snowier, nastyer. Everyone is being very cautious travelling about 80km(50mph). I picked up daughter and am heading home, again everyone is being very cautious.

I know what's up ahead, very poor roads. Some folks are flying by us(then line that I'm in). I'm thinking "we'll be seeing you in the ditch up ahead". But then all of a sudden my truck goes sideways to the left. It's amazing how fast things go through your head...foot off the gas...don't brake...steer into the slide...but when I seen the median coming I braked hard. The back of the truck started to come around, I let off the brake and drove down into the median...then STOPPED! No harm done. :whew: Other then my knees knocking and daughter shaking we were fine. Now how to get back on the road?

I try to drive ahead but the wheels just spun. So I put him into 4 low, backed up about 2' then slowly drove ahead. I headed for the road but there was such a grade to climb up I was a bit nervous if I gunned it I might end up in the middle of the road causing an accident. So I drove about 300' in the median to get under an overpass were it looked like the road and grass were more level. Once there I was still nervous of getting through the snow in the median and the slush on the road without getting into anyone else's way...so I called 911. I explained the situation and she said to sit tight she'd send the Mounties to help with the traffic. About 20 minutes later the Mounties pulled up, I told him I thought I could drive out, so he with his lights flashing blocked one lane, I put Old Rusty into 4 low again and drove right out...:dancing:

As I drove away I gave him a honk and flashed my brake lights. I pulled into the airport in case he needed to speak to me but he pulled off and headed back from where he came from.

I have never gone off the road before so I guess I was due but I sure hope that never happens again...really not a fan of sliding...guess that's why I can't skate. :p

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Sheeeeze fannie, glad you are OK:)

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Thanks, I am. Hubby's been calling me crash all evening. I told him he could call me slide since I didn't really crash...;)

6. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Glad you're okay, Fannie. What an experience for you. What a drive! Let's hope this rotten winter will be over very soon!

7. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well Jenn, you survived will no damage or injury. I would say you handled that exactly right. It took me one very costly lesson to find out what I was doing wrong in snowy/slushy conditions......

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry! I sure hope those stains come out of the front seats.:cry:

10. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the support guys. I tried to do everything that I was always told should just an event happen, but I(we) still ended up in the median.

Cat, Cat, Cat...:disagree:

Thankyou for your concern. The upholstery is JUST fine!

11. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Yea it was messy glad you OK Fannie.

On a lighter note i looked back and found i put my summer tires on april 18 last year not this year!

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Don't feel bad Fannie. I'm sure most of us from colder climates have done much the same, if not worse.:whew:
    If ya really want to stain your seats try that in an 18 wheeler on an interstate filled with other jack-knifed trucks and wrecked cars.
    :rofl2:

13. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Thanks Cat.

And no thanks. :)

14. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Your right, by this time I'm usually booking an appointment to have the tires changed. I think I'll be waiting a bit longer this year.

Happy spring time. :banana:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Well, you are welcome fannie.:yahoo:
    Maybe!:rofl2: