Gasoline smell 68 country squire

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Fabien83, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Fabien83

Fabien83 Member

Hi,

i have a strong gasoline smell in the car, even more when the rear window of the trunk is open!

is this known on station wagons with rear straight exhausts?

Do i have to check up the engine ?

thanks

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

First, older (pre-EPA) cars run richer than cars with IMCO (Improved Combustion) emissions. So, to get the most out of your engine, you may want to verify your ignition is at its peak settings, if it's the original point-condenser ignition. Points wear out, and as they wear, it affects the combustion. Keeping it set correctly keeps the engine running at peak efficiency, and less unburned/partly-burned fuel goes out your tailpipe. Then, check your carburetor. Ensure you don't have hoses starting to fall apart, dribbling gas. Make sure the body of the carburetor is not leaking gas onto the intake, it's a fire hazard. Check the other end of the fuel line on the engine, at the mechanical pump. Ensure there is no leaking at the inlet hose or the outlet hose/pipe fitting, and definitely no leaks from the body of the pump. If you have those checked and everything on the engine is in order, move to the back. First, look at the exhaust itself, from the muffler to the end of the tailpipe, top and bottom. Ensure it's not rotted through. Second, NO driving with the tailgate window open. Not even if all the windows are open, and definitely not with the A/C running, or lower vents open. No matter where your exhaust exits underneath, the air moving around the body will push the exhaust inside through the back window. And because exhaust from back then had higher Carbon Monoxide concentrations (especially when running poorly) in it, you can end up gassing yourself.
    Now, I admit, I've gone overboard. But I cannot stress how important this is, that you don't accidentally cause yourself harm. And with the engine running at peak efficiency, less gas will be wasted out the tailpipe.

Wagonrodder and 60Mercman like this.
  3. Fabien83

Fabien83 Member

:thumbs2:thank you for this expanded answer

it is to wonder if it would not be necessary to swap the engine for a more recent one :scratchchin:

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

What engine does yours have? If it's "fit as a fiddle," as the saying goes, it sometimes can be modified, rather than replaced. Although, there are those with money, knowledge and (pardon the pun) driving ambition to install a modern EFI-controlled engine into an older car, to include the overdrive transmission. However, I don't know about you, so perhaps taking a few cautious steps first is a good idea.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Also, even if you were to put in a more modern drivetrain, you still don't want to drive with the rear window rolled down. Well, unless you install a full electric drivetrain, such as Ford is offering. But that takes both engineering and technical skills.

6. Fabien83

Fabien83 Member

I am going to go step By step but I admit that this smell of gasoline takes my head :nailbiting:and the idea of solving this problem quickly to enjoy the car with the children crossed me.

it is a 390 engine

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Okay, so replacing that engine would require replacing the transmission also, as the mounting is a different design from other Ford engines. But, you can rebuild the carburetor, and replace the point-condenser ignition with an aftermarket electronic ignition. Then it would be a matter of having a mechanic tune the carburetor and ignition to give the best power and lowest emissions.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

But, in the meantime, get the points and condenser replaced and set the points dwell to their highest setting, put in new spark plugs, properly gapped, and see how the engine performs after those are done.

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

And don't forget to lube the lobes of the distributor with a touch of grease. Running dry points against dry lobes wears them out quickly and they lose their gap.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yup, Leadslead and I just readjusted dwell on his '66 Breezeway, and I verified the arm's wiper block still had usable lube on them.

11. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There is a distinct difference between the smell of gasoline and exhaust. Assuming the smell is gasoline at the rear of the wagon, I recommend you check the gasket on the gas tank where the fuel pick-up lines come out. While there, check the hoses. I don't know if you have a rubber hose at the fill, but check that too, there also should be a fuel return pipe/hose too.
    Good luck