Comming soon to the Restoration Forum

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by tbirdsps, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I got motivated after the Fabulous Ford show last weekend. Also now that my steering rack is going south....

I'm going to do a cosmetic and power plant redo of the whole car using the rolled on paint method that Norm used on his Faimont Squire and a donor car that I have anyway.

But first:
    1. Remove and sell the inline six and C5 automatic tranny.
    2. Gut the interior.
    3. Remove the complete fuel system and possibly sell the tank/float combo.
    4. Remove all the exterior chrome/stainless/aluminum.
    5. Remove the dash and possibly sell.
    6. Remove all underhood and under dash wiring harness.
    7. Paint the car top to bottom.
    a. The roof from the top of the windshield to the bottom of the rear window will be silver including the rear most pillars I guess they'd be D pillars.
    b. The hood and A pillars and side window frames will be black.
    c. The body sides will be white.

From the donor car. 1986 Thunderbird CFI 3.8 liter with the same C5 tranny.
    1. Install all engine and emission control wire harness to include the EC computer and underdash wiring.
    2. Install the K member, engine and transmission.
    3. Install the fuel tank and all hoses and fuel lines. (this will require the deletion of the spare tire well in the wagon.) The tbird tank is 20 gallons and set up for the electric fuel pump.
    4. Redye and install the 86 Tbird dash.
    5. Install new upholstery including the Tbird seats and mini console with the electric window harness.
    6. Install electric windows in the front only.
    7. clean repair and repaint interior plastics and door panels.
    8. Install dual exhaust fromt the catalytic converter back.
    9. Repaint and install the poly cast wheels from the Tbird. These will be black with the stainless trim rings and Cougar center caps.

Get California to inspect and certify for emissions controls. Those requirements are:
    1. transplant engines must be from the same year or newer vehicle.
    2. same type e.g. Car engine to car. No truck to car transplants or car to truck.
    3. Emission controls must be maintained on the donor engine.
    4. Engine source must be from a Ca. emissions compliant vehicle.

Since the VIN is on the dash there's some paperwork to do to install the original VIN on the donor dashboard.

There could be a slight issue with the drive shaft. I'll probably have to use the Cougar driveshaft vice the tbird one as the Cougar wheelbase is 1.5" longer than that of the tbird.

My time estimate is 1.5-2 years total. The only parts I need to collect along the way are the door seals and window tracks and dew wipes. The Cougar will end up with about 50% less bright work on the body as this will definately be a mild custom. I'm going without the lower belt mouldings and wheel arch brightwork and removing the brightwork on the door window frames. I'll probably keep the roof rack. The only component replacement will be gaskets and seals on the donor engine, exhaust modification and a new timing chain for insurance. The donor engine only has 107k miles and the compression is great. The tranny was rebuilt 6 thousand miles ago. I'm keeping the rear differential because the brakes on the wagon are 10" vice 9" on the tbird. The finished car will still have airconditioning and cruise control as the donor has these in functional order. So I'll lose no ammeneties and gain 32 horsepower and a problem free fuel injection. I can't say how bad I hate carburators and vacuum operated emissions. My start date is tenetively June to August of this year. I'll have the car on dollys so that it can remain mobile during the process. I don't want to tie up the whole garage. The woman hates her car to park outside in the heat so I can accomodate her on this.:rofl2:

I'll keep a running post on the progress and add pictures of interest from time to time.

RED= Deleted tasks
    Green=Might do tasks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW!!! Sounds great, tbirdsps [Can I address you by (real) name?].

It sounds like low cost is a major consideration for you. Norman should be able to help considerably in that regard. (NOT implying you're cheap, Norm, just resoursful........LOL)

We can all be on the lookout for inexpensive solutions for you as well.
    I'll check with a buddy of mine who manages a local Ford dealer body shop, to be on the lookout for parts that might work for you.....(maybe a rear disc brake upgrade, etc.......)

I can also lend a couple of hands labor when necessary. Would make nice day trip up to Ridgecrest......

Good luck.
    Marshall

3. tbirdsps

Yes to the first question.

I'll admit to being cheap but in this case the "new drive train" is sitting in the next door lot. I can't possibly drive 4 cars. :slap:

Lot's of labor. It'll probably take a few months to take it all apart. I've been iching to get motivated and now I'll pull the trigger. I think I can actually earn more money than spend money. By all rights I should be able to get from $500 to $700 for the engine and transmission as there's nothing wrong with either. New belts and hoses, fluids, timing chain and paint shouldn't run me more than $500 or so. Sweat equity and Norm knows that well.

Thanks for the offer of labor. I'll let you know when I need a secound set of hands.:bowdown:

4. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Once you get started these cars come apart real easy.
    Heck, I think Norm and I could do one in about 2 hours, bagged and tagged!:rofl2:

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That Fab Ford trip did the trick, eh?

Anyway we can help find stuff, let us know. I heard my favourite Ford dealer is moving to a new location. Huge dealer, big warehouse, maybe some NOS parts. Gonna go chat next week.

Good plan, Steve.

6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Fat Tedy his cooga wagon is like maybe one of 100 on the road. He's a slow burning candle until the 'bug' bites, and then he goes like a blur! Think of the Tazmanian Devil. :evilsmile::biglaugh:

Gonna be a fun thread.

It's kinda funny about the 3.8 V6, but I've seen some great upgrades for them. Some with lots of BLING goodies too.

8. HandyAndy

That inline six is sort of rare, with a C5 and a low starter.
    I'd like it but you'd have to deliver it! :bouncy:

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I know it's rare, the last time I saw one was probly about 5 years ago ( Fox body). It was'nt in the best condition, it drove rite past me as I was waiting to turn off my street. As I mentioned I have a 67 and would have no problem adding a Cat Wagon to my humble fleet.(y)

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  11. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Thats going to be a real nice project! Good luck :)

12. tbirdsps

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds fun, tbird. Lots of work but you will be proud in the end. I just have to say this...and I DON'T like being negative about another's dream...but, I'm no fan of the Ford 3.8. A 302 HO in there would be nice. '87 on up.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  14. HandyAndy

The 302 has been done to death.
    It's an original idea, so I like it. Is the 3.8 a V6?
    Do you have to find a crossmember?

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes...the 3.8 is a V-6. The reason the 302's are done to death is because it's a Ford winner engine. When I was a dealer and frequented the auctions I and other dealers would see a nice Ford....first thing we did is lift the hood....see a 3.8 the hood went down and we moved on. Not saying that ALL of them went bad, but, a good number of them did. I'm also not saying that TB shouldn't do what he wants. It's his car. And he already has the donor. And I'm not saying the 302 is a new idea. But is IS one that works well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009