clamshell quistion

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by cisco, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

It depends. Rubber likes cool dry and dark storage. I'm surprised as to how the tires I've stored under these conditions still look new

2. cisco

cisco Member

Hello sounds great unfortunyt mine is not the correct seal i need one to
    But if you have one te replicate i shore like to pre order
    I think more people here like to have that seal
    Succes and.thx

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

They may LOOK new, but they're aren't safe to drive on. Rubber ages no matter how it's stored because it slowly crystallizes. It becomes brittle and develops small cracks.

Did you ever put a rubber band around something, like perhaps a deck of cards, then throw it in a drawer and forget about it for a year or two? When you go back and get the cards, you discover that the rubber band has lost its elasticity, and it may even break into pieces when you remove it from the cards. It won't snap back to its original, unstretched length. It has crystallized, and being stretched around the deck of cards actually accelerates the process over how quickly it would happen if the rubber were left in an unstretched state. The process is called stress relaxation.

The same thing happens to your car's tires, only more slowly.

4. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Rubber bands tend to deteriorate and stick to what they're wrapping around. Nevertheless, rubber isn't just rubber. There are many possible ways to mix it, before vulcanising. That's why, for example, it isn't recommended to drive on summer tires in winter. Not because of the tread. Rather, because summer rubber hardens under low temperatures. Therefore, they'll not cling to the roadway like softer winter tires can.
    In the case of that weatherstrip sought after here, a well-preserved original is in any case better than what he now has