Caprice, Custom Cruiser, Roadmaster new metal cowl hoods

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 81X11, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've seen many over-the-top custom hoods bolted on our wagons and sedans. I've seen fiberglass ones that look good in pics or from a distance, but that are wavy and fit and look terrible up close, and also hoods with huge hood scoops or giant/TALL cowls that actually really cheapen the looks of these classy old cars. I'm a big believer in tasteful mods...no Pep-Boys or JC Whitney mods... I have to say I really REALLY like the look of these new 2-inch steel cowl-induction hoods from KeyParts, # 0829-035. Fit looks great, steel so they bolt up like a factory hood, and they look very stock-ish, especially on an Impala SS. I seriously would like one for my wagon, but I actually really like my '96-only Collector's Edition stand-up hood ornament, and would miss it...and could not bear to drill into a $500 hood to mount it...besides...think that might look goofy on a cowl hood (but didn't Oldsmobile have a cowl hood on a Cutlass with a stand-up ornament at one time...442?....hmmmm...). Anyway, I really DO like this hood a lot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dandy and ModelT1 like this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Looks nice......................................................:happy:(y)

(n)But NO! Mike............. NO!:dizzy:

81X11 likes this.
  3. Dandy

Dandy Member

Mike - Any chance you would know where to get the headlight kit? I have heard the headlights on these are awful and I have already been looking for an upgrade to the wagon I don't have yet :mischeif:. I was debating about just getting high output LEDs and leaving the stock lights in but these look nice.

Sorry for the hijack :nohijacking: There, I issued the warning to myself :rolleyes:

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can find these lights on Ebay. Just be sure to keep wax on them or they fade/discolor.

Also remember the turn signals on the Roadmasters include cornering lights, and you need to make sure you buy the headlight/market set with the corning light provision...many Caprice's did not have cornering lights. The Caprice/Custom Cruiser/Roadmaster/Impala SS all use the same headlights but those turn/maker lights are something to remember.

One other thing to know is many of these aftermarket lights provide a scattered light...not a sharp beam. The reflectors are made more for looks than for performance.

If I were you I would just buy some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs for your stock headlights. Most parts stores carry them, and they solve most complaints people have. The Impala SS guys swear by those bulbs.

5. Brookecello

Brookecello New Member

I've been wanting to reply back to this ever since I saw it come up on Google. I own this wagon and I did put a hood ornament on it today actually. LOL! Once I changed the carbon fiber to wood - it really looked like something was missing.

Hood Ornament_Cowl.jpeg Hood Ornament_Cowl2.jpeg Hood Ornament Cowl_3.jpeg

OrthmannJ likes this.