Alternate Fuel

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by tbirdsps, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

2. boosted

boosted New Member

I am going e85 on almost all of my old cars..

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Vidio removed by user:confused:

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup...bummer.:mad:

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Alternate Fuel ???

I've been using alternate fuel for years and I pay more for less. I used to buy 100 octane for 25 cents to $1 a gallon USA. Now I get to buy 87 octane fuel without lead additive but with corn juice added to make each 90% of fuel equal a gallon. It doesn't burn as well and stinks, ruins old gaskets, and gums up after sitting a short time. This is progress and all in the name of saving emisions.:banghead3:

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm set up for 93 octane. Hard to find and expensive.:(

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Hmmmm..... sounds like a way to screw car owners IMO, does'nt sound like the what i want in my tank....sounds like old fat guy me is gona be pi**ed the f*** off when that IMO crap comes to be on my side of the border.

When I was looking for my honeys new ride, I found alot of BS on the net about that fuil....was not impresed at all to say the least.

Wana save emitions...bring back propane power!! My Buick is propane, oil never goes black, you could breath rite from the tail pipe (if you really wanted to) and not pass out or get sick! Gas millage is so good, who give a crap to figure out what it gets.... I'd say it's more than equal, my Buick on propane to my honeys Ford escape.......YEAH, propane power is that good and it burns clean.....so why don't they promote that, it's cleaner than the corn fuil;)

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think you know the answer to that, Fat.:yup:

9. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Dude! Propane!? No way. Thats awesome! How does that work? And can you convert a car to propane?

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Yup, I do:slap:

I Don't even know where to go and get a convertion done anymore......AND getting the fuil is becoming harder where I live. Lots of gas stations now have removed the option......you can't even fill up your BBQ tank!....My Buick is a island only ride, can't take a chance......yet the mileage is so good........ I'll hate the day when I have to gas tank/carburator it again!!

As for new cars, now way you could go to propane, no way, designed to NOT be modifed

11. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't want to get into a big long discussion, but suffice it to say ethanol can be a good alternative fuel. They've already figured out in Brazil how to do it on a larger scale. Granted they have different variables (smaller market, different weather, etc), but it can be done. The thing I like about ethanol is you can actually grow more fuel stock. Right now in North America the easiest way to do it right now is through corn stock. That is not the only or even best way to do it. Other stocks such as switch grass, algae, etc exist, but more work needs to be done in those areas.

Unfortunately there is a lot of old and/or bad information out there on almost all alternative fuels. The two big things you'll hear about ethanol is how we'll all die of starvation while filling our tanks with fuel and how the price of ethanol is subsidized. As noted there are other ways to make ethanol than through corn, that said contrary to popular belief there is plenty of corn stock grown here. As for the subsidies, what many people don't know or care about is oil is just as much if not more subsidized by the U.S. government. Look at tax breaks or other government money thrown around to keep the price of oil low (domestically and abroad).

All that said I'd love to build an ethanol specific engine for my Saturn. The issue with most flex fuel vehicles today is they are designed to run on gasoline and ethanol. I'm not aware of any major car manufacturer producing a car that is optimized to run on ethanol. I think the flex fuel vehicles are a good start, but are not the end all be all. The same could be said for corn based ethanol. It's a good first start and it's easy to get up and running, but it is far from perfect and not the best long term solution.