Advice Needed On Fabricating New Fuel Filler Seal For 1965 Ford Country Sedan

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by SquiggleDog, Apr 29, 2020.

1. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

My roommate owns a 1965 Ford Country Sedan, and I'm the mechanic. He got it 15 years ago and it was his daily driver for several years. But, some issues have come up that I'm trying to straighten out so it can be put back to use.
    [​IMG]

Since the vehicle spent most of its life in Washington (originally owned by the American Red Cross) and the fuel filler door seal rotted, it's allowed water to get trapped in the left rear quarter panel and rust it out. I recently removed the rusted and leaking fuel tank, had it stripped to clean metal, filled the rust holes with J-B Weld (since you apparently can't get a good replacement tank and the shops all said it was too bad to repair), and then painted it with gas-resistant engine paint.
    IMAG7373.jpg IMAG7371.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to make a new fuel filler door seal, because of course, you can't buy new ones. But, this is a complicated design. I got some new rubber sheet and will attempt to make it work, but I am unsure how well the corners will turn out, plus it needs to have a drain at the bottom and somehow seal against the filler neck.
    IMAG7147.jpg IMAG7410.jpg

Any ideas? I'm surprised how few parts are available for this car, and how challenging it's been to finish basic repairs.

101Volts likes this.
  2. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I also went through the fiasco of making and replacing the fuel line, which was ridiculously difficult, and two of the plastic clips broke, which needed to be sourced from Australia because it turns out Holdens used them, too, and once again, you can't really get replacement parts for this car.
    IMAG7426.jpg IMAG7430.jpg IMAG7431.jpg IMAG7433.jpg IMAG7434.jpg

101Volts likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Good fabbing on the line, and the fixes on the tank. The gasket should be doable; use a sheet of stiff cardboard to make your pattern, being careful not to break the old gasket any further. Then, after preparing the metal around the filler access, use contact cement to attach the new gasket to the metal, such as Gasgacinch, or 3M yellow weatherstripping adhesive (yellow monkey snot). Of course, apply to the metal and to the reverse side of the gasket and allow to dry before applying the gasket to the metal. Hopefully, it will provide the seal you need.

101Volts likes this.
  4. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll have to cut the hole for the fuel filler neck very precise for it to seal there, or maybe use a grommet in that area.

101Volts likes this.
  5. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

The shop manual doesn't even show a part number for the wagon fuel filler seal. I tried to find new old stock, but that doesn't seem to exist, and a used one would probably be too far gone, as even this one from a Washington car was rotted.

101Volts likes this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

As with the torsion rod, check with Green Sales; even if they don't have one in stock, they have the microfiche from back then, and there has to be a part number, even if there is not an engineering number available. But yeah, if the neck is a standard size, you might be able to find a grommet (like an 80s Crown Vic tank fill pipe grommet) that can assist in sealing around the pipe.

101Volts likes this.
  7. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Or maybe a grommet like from a 67-72 Chevrolet C-10. Those are readily available in repros and if you are going to fab a panel, you can fab to any size openign for a grommet. What I'm saying is think outside the proverbial box if you have to.

8. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I'll ask Green Sales Co. about it. I think it's a 2 1/16" filler neck, so a 2" grommet should work.

9. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Green Sales Co. says that they don't have the fuel filler door seal, and can't find a part number for it.

10. Toybox06

Toybox06 Active Member

I recently purchased a NOS unit off of eBay. Keep an eye out. They come up every so often. When I get home I’ll get the part number off of it.

11. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Having just gone thru nearly the same thing as you with the gas tank (mine is the recent post mercury 68 mercury leaky gas tank in the tech forum) , i have to ask...how is the area where the strap that holds the gas tank in,where it attaches to the side of the car under the filler door? when the tank is full its pretty heavy and if the area where the strap fits in under the filler door is very rusty or the metal around it you risk dropping the tank and blowing up hopefully not...my 68 has an additional bolt that attaches from the tank to the rear bumper bracket for added support of the tank...while my tank was out i used that POR15 product inside the cavity of under the car where the tank fits to preserve that area..P.S. it looks like you did a most excellant job on the gas tank!