87 Custom Cruiser Cleanup

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by MichaelO, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MichaelO

MichaelO New Member

I've got it in the shop, pulled almost all of the interior, some of the trim, and just started on the woodgrain (just to see how it will go).

Attached Files:

2. MichaelO

MichaelO New Member

The trim clips are rock hard and don't release the way they should. I've doing fine by getting a little screwdriver against them, and slamming them forward so they'll pull off the post. That stopped panning out so well when I got to the front fender: different clips. I've now got a small ding in the trim at each clip location. I'd prefer to avoid that on the far side, and would welcome any advice for pulling the upper fender trim. Also, the lower trim molding. I spotted some hardware that holds that but, again, advice welcome.

While we on the topic, how do I remove the little semaphore/turn signal indicator dealies from the top of the fender? I'm pointing to them in one of the pics.

Best way to go about pulling the power antenna?

Thanks. I'll post more next time I get some time to move the car forward.

Attached Files:

3. Antonisbob

Antonisbob New Member

I saw a blue woody one of these today. Cool, are you replacing the woodgrain?

Wouldn't know about the antenna though, sorry.

4. MichaelO

MichaelO New Member

I very much want to. We'll see how the budget looks. I'd like to go back with an as dark or darker woodgrain, maybe that glossy Avery product I've seen some do.

I'm also trying to figure out how to go with, or find, some narrow trim for the bottom. I'd like it to go woodgrain, paint, trim, as you roll down to the rocker, rather than woodgrain right to trim, as it is now.

5. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Removing the power antenna assembly means pulling the fender, I believe. I think, to, that those clips, if they are the ones I am thinking of, are bolted to the fender, so you have to remove the fender and undo the nuts on the back side of them. For the other trim, you should be able to 'pop' the trim off the nylon clips without damage to either the trim or the clips. For installing the trim, you put the clips on the studs, then pop the trim onto the clips.

IF the lower molding is the same as my 78 Electra, you undo all the visible screws, and then the top of the molding, on the fender and dog leg is held on by invisible clips. Lift up on the trim and it disengages. Should be pretty straightforward to remove.

I think I know what you mean about the narrow trim piece on the rocker. Base model 88 Royale sedans and coupes had that. Just the width of the rocker panel, from the front to back wheel wells. There was also a narrow piece behind the rear wheel on the quarter panel. That piece is the one that will give you kittens, as the bottom of the quarter is different from the wagon, and it would not look right to have the wagon trim there, with the thin molding between the wheels. The other thing is that you will have to find some molding that will fit the bottom of the wood grain in the gap between there and the bottom of the doors. If you want to have some sort of graduated colour in there, Check out the various years of all these full sized G.M. wagons and see if the look you are going for was on any of them, then get that trim. They all have the same doors and wheel base, so the trim will fit from one year to another, and amongst the various makes and models. Also, once you get to the first character line above the rockers, the panels are the same size so all the different trim pieces will interchange. Actually, anything can be swapped between any of the wagons, if you do complete assemblies, as they all use the same doors, fenders, tail gates, and body shells. The differences are in the trim, header panels, front bumpers, and tail lights. The tail lights are interchangeable as well as all use the same opening in the quarter.

6. MichaelO

MichaelO New Member

I'm selling the car. Please see classifieds section if interested. Priced low (I think) $700, as I pulled off a lot of the trim, wood grain and interior (trim and interior included).

Thank you to all that posted in support of this project.

Best regards,
    Mike O'