'73 Ambassador 401 Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by VTWAGONLOVER, Aug 9, 2017.

1. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Looks nicer than a lot of common wagons minus a couple thousand dollars. Also with some fanangling might be cheaper. Proximity is always the primary factor. Who else on this forum has a nicer ambassador???you really don't see them. Get it . Buy it. Ship it. Drive it through Nashville and I'll buy you a beer. Make it a member of this forum....:thumbs2:please?

3. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^LOL! It's right up the road, but a little out of my reach financially at the moment. I need to stop looking at Craigslist until I'm really ready, but it's sooooooo tempting!!!

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If it's just a little out of reach financially, make an offer you can live with ($8,000 - $8,500?).
    He may say 'no', but he might say YES. If he says no, it didn't cost you anything. And maybe later when it doesn't sell, he WILL say yes to your price.

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I see rust in the lower fender, dogleg, and quarter panel on the driver's side. Can't tell if the passenger side has the same. Woodgrain also looks faded. It is a nice car, but I think he is a bit overpriced given the expensive cosmetic work it will need. Also, obviously he's had it listed for a while. I recall seeing it posted here a while back.

6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Both good points. It's kinda like women, make an offer and the worst that can happen is they say no, or throw a drink in your face I guess would be the worst... if he had it for sale a while, (the add says a month) could mean he ain't budging on the price or he's had no offers. Also one thing I noticed, looks like pictures were taken at two different locations, one looked pretty cramped for space and that ambassador is probably taking up the majority. Maybe he's running out of places to store it. Also one last thing. Folks post wagons for sale on here all the time, everyday and no one tries to convince them to buy it. You post one and all the sudden it's like we got you cornered giving you all the reasons why you should go buy it! Well... what are ya waiting for?!

7. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    LOL - I can manage the pressure...

Must.................hold....................off..................:nailbiting:

Grizz likes this.
  8. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Had to weigh in on this one.

This car has two big things going for it:

First, the 401. Fairly rare to have it in the first place and rare in the second that it hasn't been yanked out and put in AMX.

Second, the low mileage.

Against:

1) The rust. For those not in the rust belt and therefore not familiar with it, there's a rule. Rust is like an iceberg. When you can see some, chances are there's a lot more hidden.
    2) It's an AMC. Right or wrong, justified or not, they're just not as popular and they don't seem to bring what the big 3 do.

$10,500 is the dreaming price, and I'd be shocked if he got anything near it. I'd guess half that price is more realistic.

9. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

High option.

[​IMG]

10. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Tilt, cruise, power windows. There is no mention if it has A/C and no pics of the controls or engine to try to confirm. Being a northern car (if it is originally from there) makes me wonder if it an A/C car. Many cars in the northern part of the USA or Canada lacked A/C back then.

I see what appears to be a few dash vents, maybe that can mean it has A/C. I am not too familiar with these cars, maybe there is something I don't see that others may that confirms if it has A/C or not.

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Chances are, that since it has pretty much all other options (incl tilt and cruise, I think), they ordered A/C as well. Should have mentioned it in the ad, though. I'd bet it's non-operational, though.

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    All Ambassador images I could find show vents. The compacts sometimes had cover plates. My Hornet didn't , despite not having A/C.

[​IMG]

13. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

A/C was standard on the Ambassador.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    72KingswoodEstate likes this.
  14. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, I had totally forgot about that, but do remember it now. Guess it is an A/C car then. :)