'72 Chrysler T&C

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Senri, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have found what appears to be a nice 1972 Chrysler T&C. It is advertised as having a 440. I was certainly curious about this, as the standard engine for 1972 was the 400.
    Searching a bit on the net to see how many were made like that, I came across this article on Conceptcarz.com: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z14787/Chrysler-Town-and-Country.aspx

Looking at the two pictures in this article, I noticed that the one for sale here in Holland is the same car, as the US number plates are still in the pictures!!!! From this article and by looking at the VIN, this car has a 400 (or it is swapped). The odometer reading of 67000 miles is still advertised here in Holland, so it has not been driven (much). The car was sold by RM auctions just over a year ago on the Vintage Motor Cars auction in Hershey. http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=HF07&CarID=r120&Currency=
    Note: if you read the article, you notice it was sold for $550 instead of the estimated $3000-$6000, because of no reserve.

I have planned to look at this car tomorrow. The question now is, has anyone seen this car before and has someone more info on it? It is stated at the RM auction describtion that it has some pitting in the paint, surface rust on the floors, pits in the trim and some moderate surface rust on the chassis. Those I will of course double check.
    The dutch add further states that some recent investments have been done, so I am curious what that would be, other then cleaning the dust off. RM auction does say there were some NOS trim parts in the car, so maybe they replaced these.
    Note: RM auction also states it has independent coil spring front suspension, which you probably know is not correct, as all Chrysler full size cars had the torsion Quiet-ride suspension.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They could be using the wrong picture too. Sounds fishy to me.

3. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  4. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    although no LPG the price looks fair compared to the 73 in Boxtel. (and the 72 model looks much better IMHO).

6. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like beauty!

7. LargeBarge72

LargeBarge72 New Member

The only thing I can add to this is that the 440 was available that year... engine code RB - I have one... and it was an option over the 400.

8. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I just came back from having a look at it. Took me a bit longer then expected, also because it was a 200 mile trip!
    I can say only one thing: I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it really looks great. Of course not new, but I could not even find one little spot on the woodgrain! Everything in excellent condition, including engine bay and interior. No bondo at all, as far as I could see. No electric windows, only the back one and that works like new (I havee seen many wagons having trouble getting it up ;)). It is from a garage, but they do classic americans (mostly 50's) as a hobby next to regular cars. The guy did not import it himself, so he didn't know about the $550. Also, the one he bought it from told him it was a 440 and he hadn't checked the VIN. VIN clearly states M code, so 400. He was almost 100% sure it was the original engine. He changed a lot of the running stuff, like brakes, including master cilinder and booster, alternator steering joints etc, so it could be checked for roadworthyness. Engine sounds really nice, although I thought I could hear a tiny, tiny knock during cold idle, but maybe that are just the lifters. No tow package (so no trailer hook), but that at least means a lower chance on abuse or hard work.
    It still has the same odometer reading and RM auction reports that it was last inspected in 1980 in Virginia. Is it safe to assume that it hasn't been driven then from 1980, so actually only for 8 years (72-80)?
    This wagon has my name written al over it, I just need to sell my Subaru. I hope I will be in time...

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That explains a whole lot of issues! :rofl2::rofl2:

10. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I'm told that sometimes it takes manual intervention......:cheers:

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You wouldn't be trying to wind me up?!? :rofl2:

12. Dyna

Dyna Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice wagon -- somebody must been taking a chance, bought it and imported it and then did one nice cleanup --- why don't you import one your self?

Cheers Dyna

13. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Next to all the hassle and costs, it will only really work if you find a bargain like this. The guy I spoke to has the title and it appears that the car belonged to a museum from 1980 till 2007! This could explain the excellent state.
    It was estimated to be sold between 3 and $6000,-. Let's say you would find such a car in this state and pay the average; $4500,-, which to me seems pretty fair, or?
    Transport and shipping will cost about $1500, depending how far it is from the port. Import tax and VAT will come to 30%, so another $2000,-. Registration here in Holland, headlight change and MOT (annual check up) will add another 400 euro's. Grand total is then 6400,- euro's and that is still without any work to it (brakes etc). Asking price now is 6950 including some mechanical upgrades, so...
    But that doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to. You can choose exactly what you want and you might even find a bargain. But that does mean going there yourself and I don't have the time and money now.
    With the crumbling market now in second hand cars and specifically in (classic) american cars, I am still happy to buy locally.

14. Dyna

Dyna Well-Known Member

Yep it's for a bit of hassle, and sometimes it doesn't pay off.

I thought when you imported to Holland and the car is old enough you only pay the import duty and no VAT (Sales tax) The duty on cars from the US was about 10% the last time I check. If taken by Sweden it's 12.5% on all cars/trucks older then 30 years -- it's about historically interesting items that should not have duty added and should be charge reduced rate VAT...

Cheers Dyna

15. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    As far as I know, we pay import tax, which is for US cars about 8%, and as with everything we will pay VAT of 19%. The VAT is over the import tax as well (tax over tax!) What you don't pay is the BPM, a special tax, that is reduced by the age of the car. So a new car has 45% BPM!!!!!!!!!!! and that reduces with 5% per year old. So after 9 years it will be free.
    I have not heared about a special arrangment for classic cars, I will have a look into that.