-72 Buick estate wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by lowlow37, Sep 24, 2010.

1. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Though i already published som threads about the dino, heres another....

The dash, with the new electric system.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    The airride for the rear...
    [​IMG]

3. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Have to add this pic.. Stumbled upon it on the computer. Love the apperant size of it when the boss´s sportwagon is in the background.

[​IMG]

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've seen that wiring mess many times in my projects too. Always takes a lot of patience to do it right, doesn't it? Good for you. Its the one area that many avoid.

5. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Yet again´i have been absent from this great community... I suffer hard from nosebleed on high altitudes, so the coils have been cut a little...... Still i think about reducing rideheight with maybe two inches more.. Where can i find dropped spindles? What is the difference between the -65 to -70 spindles, and what about the -77 and up? Anyone??

Obviously the car is too high!!
    dsc06440.jpg

dsc06439.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    The swedish roads is sometimes a little bit rough.... An update of the exhaust seems like a good idea, hopefully we will have a little more beefy sound too..:evilsmile:

dsc06574.jpg

dsc06570.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    I can see that i have been too busy to get this thread going..... The new exhaust was a success.. In the making, i rationalized the mufflers, and run it straigt 3" from the collectors.. Sounds nasty!
    As some of you might remember, i had some problems with vibrations in the drivetrain.. I have tried to change the pinion angle, changed all the joints and the support for the driveshaft.. Nothing of that made a difference:( So i jacked the car up on stands, started it up and put it in gear on like 1800rpm and dived under it to see what was vibrating.. I have a two piece driveshaft, the rear one i bought new when i assembeled the car.. And it was NOT straight.. No visible marks on it , but it was 3/8 of a inch out of line... So i marked it up, where it was bent using the rotation of the engine. Took it out from the car and used a torch to shrik it on the high spots, assembeled it, and started up again.. This time it was better, but still had the shakes.. So i user a white pen to mark up the highs on the shaft, and simply strapped on some pieces of metal on the opposite side of the marks, to balance it out.. Took me a whole day, but for now, i have a totally balanced ride until i get to about 100 mph, then it gets a little shaky again.. But i dont think i will care about that.. I honestly dont want to get under the car when the wheels are doing 100:naughty:

8. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work. Lowlow. She's looking very nice. Probably the right decision not to get under it when the wheels are going 100! Glad to see you got the vibration out of it as those big Buicks have a gorgeous ride.

9. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks!!

Just got a E-mail from AIMindustries, that they will have 2" drop spindles in for my car in januari, or february.. Would be nice with some sweet wheels to go with them:party:

10. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

You should get some Ragu for all that spaghetti under the dash!
    Absolutely amazing you can make sense out of all those wires. To say I'm impressed is a gross understatement.

11. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Haha:biglaugh:
    Its not as bad as it looks, actually.. Or maybe it was? I am colourblind, so the only way for me to get the electrics to work was to put all of the -90ies cables in the car, and then sort out the ones that i wasnt going to use, so now i only (!?) have the trans, ignition and fuelinjection system and ecm running inside the car.. The extras, for cruisecontrol, ac, wipers with delay, central lock and so on is in another system, parted from the nessecary things to get the car running.. I will take the panel, with all electrics out as soon as i get a shop that will fit the car, to get some pics of it, and i really would like to build a custom instrument cluster that looks like it was built in -72, but with all the gauges and lamps i have now.. The cluster i got now is a hybrid between G20 and the original estate cluster.. It works, but i want it to look good too.....