Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RMay, Jan 7, 2014.
Looking great RMay!...Longroofs Rule!
Original gas tank is all cleaned, recoated, has a new sending unit and is finally installed. More steps forward but I also had an unplanned step backward.
Initial inspection of the 283 engine had shown it was correctly numbered and dated for a 66 Chevelle. It had also been a good runner looked clean inside and could probably be a good choice to freshen up which I have done with other engines before. I did order a new cam, lifters, timing chain, oil pump, all new gaskets and other items needed as well as changing to a 4 barrel carb and intake. All was looking and going well until we saw some small cracks on one of the head valve guides. Rather than going for some major machining head work, I had another set of heads I was prepared to use. Once we pulled the old heads we then saw and felt a noticeable ridge on the top of the cylinder walls. A good find since If it had not been found the engine would have never performed to its expectations and likely would have been a smoking oil consumer. While the engine block is still good it would now require more extensive machine work that was not in my plans.
I made a decision to fall back on another option I had and now have a 350 crate engine on order. Some of the new parts I purchased can still be used on the crate engine. To cover any potential losses, I will find a buyer for the 283 block along with the original parts and some of the other new parts needed for a full rebuild. Since the car is a custom build, it was never important that I keep all the parts original. It was just an idea to keep the build simple wherever I could. Also since I do enjoy driving my builds, the new engine will have more horsepower and hopefully keep this project moving along since the weather is now getting nicer and I have already been hanging out cruising with some of my other cars.
That always seems to be the case in these instances doesn't it? Steps forward, but then steps back.
Fortunately it sounds like it won't throw to big of a wrench in the works.
Body work continues with glazing compound being applied. One side should be completed soon.
Looking good RMay.
The crate engine search was not very successful. One company cancelled our order and another was short on parts and people so they wanted to give me a 5 week delay. A third option turned up when my snowbird buddy found a guy in Florida who rebuilt engines. He checked him out, was impressed and ended up bringing 2 engines back home. I now have a fresh 69, 350, 60 over engine that comes with intake, fuel pump along with chrome pans and covers. All I have to add is a water pump, carb, starter, distributor and my pulleys.
A few of the guys at the barn today gave a helping hand to get the engine and tranny set in the car. Always a nice feeling when I get to put things on instead of taking them off.
Glad you found a alternative to the crate motor. Maybe saved a couple coins also?.....Longroofs Rule!
Yes...if you don't mind my asking, how much did those set you back? And, I'm bummed. I was hoping you'd score a 396. But okay, you now have a nice engine, and you'll now be making progress.
The crate engine deals that did not work out were $1700 but I had to provide a same size block or pay a core charge. The fresh rebuilt engine I got was $2000 which came with more stuff than the crate engines and I did not have to provide a block or pay a core charge.
Wow. Looks like you made out like a bandit.
Major milestone today. I finally got the rear hatch hinges I like to work on my Nomad style tailgate conversion. The hinges were off a GM work van side panel where the windows usually are. They are smaller than the C type hinges that would have worked but I did not like how much of the hinge would be hanging down.
Still a lot of boxing, installing the final mounting points, finding the right locking handle assembly and finessing the metal work on the hatch.
I always seem to get involved with other projects we are working on so it has been nice to get some time in on my own project and get this part of my build closer to the design I had in mind.
Looking great! i love it...good job mister!
Looking good RMay.