63 Buick Estate 9 pass Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by UEVNWAG, Sep 4, 2014.

1. UEVNWAG

UEVNWAG Member

Well since I actually have my wagon now I thought I would start a project thread . It was not an easy transaction. Between obtaining the title and finding a shipper it was a mess. Anyway it all worked out in the end. My goal on this one is to make it a reliable driver.Keep the old paint and the look that it has right now. I was originally going to buy something rough and do the rat rod thing. After thinking about all the headaches that would involve I started my search for a somewhat original car/wagon that was running and had solid floors/frame to start off with. When I saw the 63 I had to have it.
    Engine is a 401 Nailhead ,Tranny is a st400, with a 3:23 posi rear end.
    First thing I did was to change the dirty dirty oil and check all fluids,
    Then I started to remove the carpet in the far back in front of the rear seat and check out the floors and spare tire area. I was happy to see no bad rust thru. Going to wire brush it real good and treat it with the por or just plain old black rustoleon with epoxy. Then continue ripping out the rest of the carpet up front and clean the floors and coat them also.
    Next on the list is to rebuild the carb.
    Check U Joints.
    Not sure where I will go from there. Drive it I guess, a lot and see what else I decide to do. As far as the body goes i want to just cut out the rust and weld some new metal in on the lower fenders and pull out the dents and smooth out the body as much as possible.

2. UEVNWAG

UEVNWAG Member

Some pics > [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. UEVNWAG

UEVNWAG Member

4. Dan Scully

Dan Scully Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice :yippee: Mine is a 3 pass model.:evilsmile:

Attached Files:

5. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

Sure does fill a garage! Clean looking car to start with.

I would pull the front seat and belts and ALL of the carpet at once, sweep/vacuum out the floor, fix anything needed, and then paint. Doing rear, then front, leads to all kinds of junk and fibers covering the newly painted clean area and making it look less than nice. You're going to pull everything at some point, just do it in one step instead of 2.

Best,
    Tom

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with Tom. That's a great looking wagon. Go for it. Appears you also live out in the boonies so start bangin on that metal. Just think of all of the loose change and candy wrappers you are gonna find in there.
    Use the Rustolium primer and save a nickle. They've been painting bridges and towers with it longer than you've been breathing.

7. UEVNWAG

UEVNWAG Member

Yes I agree with doing it all at once. I think the floors should be ok. I would think the rear areas would be the worst. I see a lot of old factory undercoating underneath ,might have helped. Your right ModelT I do live in the boonies.

8. UEVNWAG

UEVNWAG Member

Been busy and have not had much free time. So far I gave the back floor and spare tire area a good cleaning and gave it a coat of flat black rustoleon with epoxy. Replaced the lower alternator bolt with a correct one. They had a carriage bolt from the hardware stuck in there with no nut at the end. Going to replace the carb soon with the same type from another 401 that has low miles on it. Mine is leaking gas and need a rebuild. That's about it for now.