57 Safari Project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Safari57, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, as noted in the "What have you done to your wagon" thread, it was time to pull the engine and trans to replace the flex plate, but also the engine bay is tired, the engine needs new gaskets and seals, I want to do some cleaning up of the wiring, and I've got a Chrysler 8-3/4 rear end to throw in as well.

Here's a few more pictures of the pull. With the engine out and on my cart I'll split the trans and mount the engine on the engine stand, clean it up, bag it, and get to it later in the spring. Same goes for the trans.

In the time between now and when I kick start the project again (2 to 3 months????) I'll have to give serious thought as to how I want to go. I keep getting nudged (by myself and others) to just bite the bullet and round up an LS 6.2L engine and trans and go at it. I had in mind doing the clean up as noted at the start and putting on either a FAST or Holley F.I. system but that is all in the background at the moment. I also happen to have a tri-power set up that haunts me. I am thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to put a 2bbl throttle body on it, a couple of dummy carbs for secondaries, and have an interesting tri-power look with F.I. When I ran my 389 with the tri-power, for a long time I never had the secondary carbs hooked up, I got really good mileage, still had tons of torque for pulling the trailers. With the 455 I've got a lot more torque, and the F.I. would be much more capable than a 2bbl carb. Just thinking out loud........:evilsmile:

I've got a lot of thinking to do on this one. We put a lot of miles on the car in the past and I want to get back using it as our spring/summer/fall driver.

So, sometime down the road, when I get going on the project again, I'll update this thread as things happen.

Attached Files:

2. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    or I could just order you a Big Block 'crate' motor and tranny...and its done :D

I tried to come and help you on Sunday after I finished using up all my curse words on my car....but you dont answer your phone:evilsmile:

3. Toph

Toph New Member

good car

That is a great car

4. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    " I am thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to put a 2bbl throttle body on it, a couple of dummy carbs for secondaries, and have an interesting tri-power look with F.I"

I REALLY like that idea!!!!! (y)(y):2_thumbs_up_-_anima