1996 Bronco - Overpriced vehicle of the day

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by markfnc, Nov 20, 2020.

1. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I actually think all of us have made some good points. I remember being at a Concourse at Meadowbrook and a hand built’34 Packard coupe for Dr. Mud went for $1.1 million. The thing I can’t come to grips with is that I can see a one off Packard, or a Pierce Arrow bringing high 6, low 7 figures. I guess I haven’t realized that I’m old enough that these cars now are 50 and 55 years old, and they’re commanding those dollars. I totally agree with you Jeremiah that at the end of the day the market will always dictate what a car brings. Like Mr Barnham used to say. There’s a sucker born every minute. Hey if someone drops that kind of green on a car. God Bless. I’m sure to some extent this craziness has also raised the value of what we own and drive. It’s interesting again for some unknown reason in my head I don’t have as much of an issue when someone buys an old worn out pick up and truck, fixes it mechanically, spruces it up and sells it. The thing I can’t understand is a guy buys a vehicle that is done, and he think he can sell it it a month and double his money. But like you said there’s an A$$ for every seat and we’ll see what happens with this truck. I have a feeling this guy is gonna go home with this thing. If he wants his, at least 10% entitlement spread, plus having to give BAT their 8% vig this is gonna have to clear the $325 hurdle. Good luck, but stranger things have happened. We’ll see in a few days. Lol

2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

The joke used to be that mattress stores were just fronts for money laundering. Maybe the money has moved to the old car hobby.

3. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

This is true, but it goes both ways. ;):) Without getting into the weeds about the intricacies of world views, I guess my stance on many issues - from cars to houses, to any other thing that one can spend their money on - is to not partake in practices that drive prices up for my community over time (or anyone else outside it for that matter). I take a very considered viewpoint that includes other people than just myself or my family on many issues of life. It's just a part of who I am.

In 1900, a loaf of bread cost 5 cents. Now it costs anywhere from $2.50-$4 or more (not factoring in sale prices). That didn't just happen on its own. It took the actions of people for it to get that way. The car market (or anything else) is no different, and our own, and everyone else's actions directly play a part in these trends. One of my favourite sayings is: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." I tend to live my life with those words and that sentiment that guides me, and which also reflects in the things I believe. It's an overall outlook that I feel holds merit.

I guess I just look at some of the things happening in today's world and wonder where this trajectory is taking us and whether it's a good thing to be doing so. After all, what good is this world if we don't afford our kids the same opportunities we were able to take advantage of during our own time? Which includes the cost of cool cars and anything else their interests may take them. In regards to the classic car hobby, sadly with the way things are trending, my outlook for the prospects of younger generations, or anyone outside a certain realm of privilege isn't as bright. I guess the sale of that $275,000 truck just serves as an exclamation point to some of the themes I have been talking about.

At the end of the day, we all have a hand in the future, and what we do in these times determines the landscape of tomorrow. I guess I just have a different viewpoint of how what we do now directly affects the future.

Anywayyyyyy, I think we've gotten a bit off-track, so how 'bout them wagons, huh? :LOL:

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Well said WTD.

That's one of my favorite sayings as well. I use it often.
    I don't think that you and I are nearly as diametrically opposed as you may think.

I'm with you there Bill. That has always been amazing to me. And yes, I do find it annoying on many occasions when said guy actually sells it for double.
    But that brings to mind another common saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted".

There will always be fools. And there will always be folks willing to help those fools being parted from their money.

WagonTheDog and 60Mercman like this.
  5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

From truck owner:
    I believe the original build was right around $425k. If you look at the old listing all of the receipts are there. I have all those receipts (but didn’t want to re-scan everything).

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. WagonTheDog

$425k??? :90: Hopefully one day it'll be worth...

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

markfnc likes this.
  7. markfnc

and looking at Sold $275k listing they do show around 40 receipts. don't care enough to do the math, but anyways.

8. markfnc

OrthmannJ likes this.
  9. WagonTheDog

10. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well not really, he paid BAT probably 5% to list and sell it, as did the buyer. So by the time he backs out $14,000 he’s under water, plus he paid that same 5% on the $275,000 when he bought it. I was hoping it would stall out at $135,000. Something has got to break the fever on this pricing. But hey. I guess the loss is just part of doing business. Bet BAT loves guys like this. At least the price improvement was below what inflation is running Y.O.Y, (9.1%) so this truck didn’t keep up with inflation.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  11. markfnc

the one who took the hit is the one that spent $450k on the build.,

60Mercman likes this.
  12. WagonTheDog

$450k for that thing is beyond insanity. I'm sorry, but that's just robbery. That company should be called I-Con. But hey! Gotta' pay for that luxury watch line somehow!

Anyway, I'm done with this thing. Let the applause begin. lol...

60Mercman likes this.
  13. markfnc

14. markfnc

15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That was well bought. The Dodges of this vintage are generally a good value compared to the Ford and Chevy's that come up for sale.

markfnc likes this.