1991 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Aug 16, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Would think this should go quickly at $4,250. Mileage is high but appears to be well cared for. Looks good for the Home Depot run on Saturday and the local show on Sunday . Buy it, run it, and get to the busted tach and noisy fan when you want.

3. jwdtenn

Interior looks nice - especially for the miles.

[​IMG]

4. jwdtenn

Always wondered why the final generation of the Custom Cruiser did not offer the optional wood on the exterior, like the Buick Estate Wagon and the Caprice.

5. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have the same exact car, same color and year. I thought the two-tone paint, gray from the bodyside molding‘s down, was standard on all custom cruisers that year. I have only seen two including this one, they were one solid color. Oh, my car has cloth seats also. Mileage is a bit higher than I like to see but the price doesn’t seem bad. It all depends on how it runs drives and feels. Mine has 115k which is still more than I like but it doesn’t seem like it if you see and drive the car.

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This color and a light tan color were the only colors that you could get non-gray bodyside molding on the CC's. Still my favorite of the '91-'96 B-Body wagons.

7. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    So was there a delete option for the two-tone?

8. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    It isn't abundantly clear. This is the blurb from the 1991 brochure. The tan one I looked at long ago and the light blue are the only colors I've ever seen with non-gray lower cladding.

upload_2021-8-17_17-57-29.png

9. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Well, it does say that all models come with a separate color on the lower body cladding. It’s funny how you say you saw a solid colored tan one when that color actually had its own secondary color separate from all the other colors which got gray. My blue wagon has gray on the bottom. Another thing that a friend of mine and I were trying to find out, was if the top part of the front bumper cover was grey or body color from the factory. I believe it to have been body color as it is on mine. Right now there is a light blue 92 for sale on eBay and the top of the bumper is grey...only it doesn’t look right to me because the top of the bumper is above the body side molding that serves as the division point. My friend owns a body shop and says he remembers fixing one long ago and split the color along the rub strip on the bumper and the lady freaked out. Don’t know if they came both ways or switched between 91&92 or some of these cars were repaired incorrectly

10. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've seen at least one of these with woodgrain. I speculated that it was applied at the dealer, since it appeared to be the dark wood used on the previous generation CC. I don't recall what the surround rails looked like.

My info shows that only the 305 was available for '91, which seems a bit of a drawback. I believe the 350 didn't become available for these until '92.

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I like this line in the ad:

Would you? How do you know?

I did a search at Mecum for all Custom Cruisers up for sale at one of their auctions going back as far as their records go. There were three CCs of this era ('91 and '92), and all three were '92s. None of the listings stated the car's mileage.

This one sold for $11,000 at the Kansas City auction in March of this year.

Capture1.JPG

This one reached a bid of $20,000 but did not sell at the Glendale, Arizona auction in March 2019.

Capture2.JPG

This one sold for a whopping $3400 at the same Kansas City auction as the first one above.

Capture3.JPG

My guess is that the car in this thread has more mileage than any of these, and if he gets his $4500 asking price, he'll have done well. My guess is that, if he tried to sell it at auction, by the time the seller's fees and his expenses in getting it there, assuming it sold at all, would eat up any premium he received versus just selling it through a classified ad like he's doing now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  12. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    It wasn't solid colored, I just said the cladding wasn't gray. It was a slightly darker tone than the body color. I don't know if I have seen another CC in that color now that I think of it.

Every bumper I have ever seen has been body color above the rub strip. Not sure what that lady was talking about. Maybe she was confused since the rear bumper is all side cladding color.

That ebay car front bumper is not correct. It looks goofy where the front fender and bumper cover come together. I love how he throws in two other ads for cars where they are asking $20k+. Good luck with that.

13. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It’s kind of amazing that the maroon one got to 20k with its brake dust embedded front wheels, and mis matched tires. And this guy didn’t bite. Hmmm.

14. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Yes! I was surprised at that maroon one as well, I can hardly tell if that is morning dew on the hood and roof or whether the clearcoat is shot. One thing is for sure, there is paint missing off the top of that front bumper. He should’ve took the money and ran! Bid that high and a no sale? What is he smoking?