1987 safari ac compressor line

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by wags, Jun 19, 2020.

1. wags

wags New Member

1987 pontiac safari - with the original r-12 system still in it.

im looking for the ac line that plugs into the back of my ac compressor. it has an attached metal canister with an ac port welded into it and the lines coming out of it.
    my service manual says that this is the same system used in many
    GM vehicles up untill that year that had the CCOT System (Cycling Clutch Orifice Tube). however it doesnt say which ones.
    can anyone here tell me which other vehicles i may sorce this part from? or, can anyone tell me the gm part number or even the correct part name? im having an issue locating one.
    thank you.

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. wags

wags New Member

thank u, by reading those threads ive surmised that the canister is called a muffler, and that the particular line that was called for in that thread didnt have one. trying it withoout the muffler canister doesnt seem feasible as the service port is welded into the side of it, and the service port is what is all boogered up.
    i guess i need to search some more and maybe junkin. thank you.
    the search continues...

4. wags

wags New Member

so i see that the 4seasons #55070 looks exactly like the old one that is still under my hood. they are calling it a Discharge & Suction Line w/muffler. it isnt recommended in any list for the 87 safari wagon but i see it is recommended for other 5L 307 V8 engines.
    i ordered it off ebay for about $85. i will update this thread when i can or cant recommend it as a good fit.
    thank u.

5. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Like I said in the other threads on this subject, the only difference in Olds 307 suction\discharge lines on these cars is the angle that the muffler comes out at due to the positioning of the smog pump. The smog pump mounting changed over the years and some cars used a different one compared to other car lines, even within the same model year (Cadillac was notorious about this).

6. wags

wags New Member

thank u elB, that gives me some hope because now i know its just a gamble im taking that there will be room for it to fit behind the compressor, which is on top of my smog pump, and not a gamble whether the connections will actually mate.

7. wags

wags New Member

well it fit except that it was a foot shorter unfortunately than the old one. i had to rearrange my coolant resevoir to accomodate it. but its been working well for weeks now. thanks guys!